EVO X - Weird noises when on turbo - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 29-04-2019, 18:04   #1
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
EVO X - Weird noises when on turbo

Hi all,

wondered if i you could ever be so kind to help me with figuring out whats going on.

So...the past couple of times of driving, when on WOT the noise coming from the turbo sounded a lot more distinct as in i could hear the air whooshing louder than i could before, almost as if it was blowing air through the air vents sort of noise, this if i remember was consistent behaviour.

Today on the way home between 2-4k revs there was a sort of grinding/rattling sound that sped up and slowed down at the same rate as the engine. this was not consistent, it sometimes was there and sometimes wasnt.

no loss of power seemed to be felt.

i doubt i could record it as there is so much other noise going on at the same time from the road, tyres, wind and the turbo that its hard to really listen to what it might be myself

any ideas??

Last edited by redrocket89; 29-04-2019 at 18:07..
redrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-04-2019, 19:46   #2
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
wondering if you've had a leak under boost, hence the woosh, then maybe resulting in turbo damage from the overspeed. Only a guess, but i'd avoid starting the car till the grind/rattle is identified

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 20:37   #3
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
wondering if you've had a leak under boost, hence the woosh, then maybe resulting in turbo damage from the overspeed. Only a guess, but i'd avoid starting the car till the grind/rattle is identified

Stu
i have had a poke around tonight and noticed a bolt head has sheared off the top of the heat shield above the turbo and if i move that up and down that rattles and wonder whether because its loose the noise of the turbo is escaping more hence i hear the whooshing louder.....its a possibility. if it is turbo damage, then time to buy an MHI so things aint all bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-04-2019, 06:57   #4
stu8
Senior User

My Car
if the turbo is failing you dont want to risk driving it and a complete failure. Guess you know this but just thought id mention it

Stu

Old 02-05-2019, 12:27   #5
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
if the turbo is failing you dont want to risk driving it and a complete failure. Guess you know this but just thought id mention it

Stu
Yeah i know,that would be catastrophic!!! but how am i supposed to determine if the turbo is failing? I mean, like i say when i was testing it there was no loss of power just this vibration/rattling noise between 3- 4k revs and then normal.

the extra whooshing noise seemed to have disappeared once this rattling started.

i have driven it since as its my daily, but just not driven it hard on turbo.

i need to secure the heat shield to determine whether it is that making the noise really i guess
Old 02-05-2019, 12:54   #6
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
I've not tried to access the turbo compressor wheel on a X, but I guess it can't be all that difficult ie by removing the intake pipe. And assuming you can get access, you can then feel for any play in the shaft and listen for any strange noises when the compressor wheel is spun (carefully) with your fingers.

Last edited by plip1953; 02-05-2019 at 13:36..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
GUM EVO (03-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 17:28   #7
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
I've not tried to access the turbo compressor wheel on a X, but I guess it can't be all that difficult ie by removing the intake pipe. And assuming you can get access, you can then feel for any play in the shaft and listen for any strange noises when the compressor wheel is spun (carefully) with your fingers.
and if you cant see, get a scope or camera phone in and get some pics, check for fin damage or signs of contact

Stu

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
GUM EVO (03-05-2019), plip1953 (02-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34   #8
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
Yeah that's a good point about taking off the intake and checking for damage and movement. I'll try that and securing the best shield and see what's what
Old 09-05-2019, 18:40   #9
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
UPDATE

so tonight i took off the heatshield and went for a little drive....not good, noise is still there. so tomorrow im going to take the intake off and spin the impeller and get my phone down there to take pictures of the inside for damage...

could this noise be from anything else....could the head make this noise under pressure from the turbo at peak power???
Old 10-05-2019, 12:47   #10
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
Trying to remove the the intake.....easy for the bulk of it but that inlet elbow....how the f**k are you supposed to get to them bolts. ive tried all of my spanners and different length socket bits......
Old 10-05-2019, 16:13   #11
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
i managed to just squeeze my middle finger in and did notice a small amount of side to side movement. however i couldnt see anything so i put it all back together and went off to buy an endoscope....... i noticed on my journey that the blow off valve was operating under boost and inbetween the usual sound the blow off valve was making suddenly that sound i have been hearing chopped in and out of the blow off valve sound......you dont think all of this is a failing blow off valve??
Old 10-05-2019, 18:21   #12
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket89 View Post
i managed to just squeeze my middle finger in and did notice a small amount of side to side movement. however i couldnt see anything so i put it all back together and went off to buy an endoscope....... i noticed on my journey that the blow off valve was operating under boost and inbetween the usual sound the blow off valve was making suddenly that sound i have been hearing chopped in and out of the blow off valve sound......you dont think all of this is a failing blow off valve??
Afaik a small amount of side to side movement is normal. Can you try a different BOV?
Old 10-05-2019, 20:44   #13
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
i dont have a spare knocking around nor anyone with an evo 10. i think what im going to do is buy one and try it...i checked the internals of the turbo on the endoscope and everything looked normal in there, no scoring which is good news
The Following User Says Thank You to redrocket89 For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 07:01   #14
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket89 View Post
i dont have a spare knocking around nor anyone with an evo 10. i think what im going to do is buy one and try it...i checked the internals of the turbo on the endoscope and everything looked normal in there, no scoring which is good news
Presumably it was only the compressor wheel that you inspected? It is of course possible for the turbine wheel to be a problem quite independently, but pretty sure the turbo would need to come out for you to look at that.

Last edited by plip1953; 11-05-2019 at 07:14..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:13   #15
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Presumably it was only the compressor wheel that you inspected? It is of course possible for the turbine wheel to be a problem quite independently, but pretty sure the turbo would need to come out for you to look at that.
yeah it was just the compressor wheel i checked...I dont have intricate knowledge of turbos, im trying to learn as much as i can by watching tear downs of turbos.

After yesterdays suspicion of the blow off valve and that noise i had been hearing cutting in and out of the blow off sound, i again started my phd on youtube and i have a much better understanding of how they work now and all of the noises they make when operating normally and i heard a few failures which sound sort of similar, so for now thats my next area of investigation.

I need to buy one, today would be nice.....cant be waiting for delivery i want this mystery sorted
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: