Sprinting Ideas... - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Events > Pace Ward MLR Sprint Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 22:32   #16
evocop4
Horizon chaser
 
evocop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: north london
Car: Black Tommi Makinen 310bhp; Black Focus ST 270bhp
My Car
Posts: 947
Facebook hasn't helped. I am not on it and don't intend to be. The last meet I attended was at autotroque and the spread was 2/1 Facebook owners. Need to get people back on forums and get the appeal going again. I have spoken to a few owners who aren't in the club and don't know what it is about.

I banded an idea a few years ago with Darin and kenny about a sprint off. I got brave and said I would get close to kenny with no track experience. I am an advanced police driver and have honed my skills chasing many a stolen Audi BMW and Subaru and wondered if I could transmit that to the track. I would still give it shot but understand kenny is no more?

Instead of being one dimensional with the sprint have a couple of hours of track time thrown in and may appeal to a different crowd. I have never done it so am as guilty to its demise but as a previous thread of mine shows I do use mine and would come along if closer or better incentive.
__________________
I love lamp!
evocop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2017, 06:57   #17
a1axx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 14
Sprinting Ideas...

I enjoyed it, didn't matter about being competitive really as I was using my Clio 197, 1100kg and 200bhp lol. It was a lot of fun doing combe. Like others have said, it would be cool if it was more of a timed session type event. Qualifying- time attack whichever you like to call it!

Is it realistic to do that? More seat time but ultimately more cost of running. Is there a reason it specifically had to be one sprinting lap to make it viable for non msa cars and non license holders?

Cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a1axx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:47   #18
rob2.2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ferndown / dorset
Car: Evo 6 Track Car.
My Car
Posts: 2,809
Send a message via MSN to rob2.2
A few factors for me as to why I haven't had a go:

1st -
I like my drivetrain to much to launch it repeatedly.

Make everyone run a msa beam breaker at a set height. Set the start position but have the start beam 100 meters further up so no need to launch the car and a rule you cant launch it to make it even.

2nd-
I dont have a trailer to tow the car to events so if launching and pushing it to the limit and if I went wrong I have no way of getting home without a big bill.

3rd -
Location
I live on the south coast and cant afford to do 2 day weekends with stop overs in b&b's to attend sprints. Doing them in a single day would be dangerous due to travelling times

4th
Value for money, id sooner do a open pit lane day rather than a sprint, for me its all about seat time and enjoying the car for as long as possible. Not a quick expensive thrill

5th
How competitive the series got, my car would of been in class D but is not even close to spec of the likes of liddy, phill reed, norris, kenny etc


I went to combe 4 years ago to watch the sprint and thought it was fantastic, the machinery was great, the action was non stop, I was hooked and wanted to have a go and watch more.

Idea -
Time attack is now linked with car shows to give the public more to look at, like the cadwell show could each round not also be a all make japanese car show included.

I know thats alot to organise but you already have the venue sorted so get banzai/jap peerformance mag involved for publicity, a bit of extra support to set out club stand locations etc

Might even get more guest class cars entered also from other clubs.

Will get more revenue from public entry and display tickets

Makes it more appealing to sponsors

Trade stands on the day could also raise more money

Static show and shine competition

Make it a car show with a sprint 5 rounds at known tracks/locations.
__________________

2.3 stroker evo 8 engine, tts205b, sd mapped by Lee5, stripped out, safety device cage, race seat and harnesses.
rob2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rob2.2 For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (10-09-2017), evo_luver (10-09-2017), gazb (07-08-2018), Realbadman (11-09-2017), skinner6 (11-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2017, 08:13   #19
StefanUK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Birmingham
Car: 9
Posts: 327
Set it out like time attack so you actually get more seat time ,one lap is over in 2 minutes and then it's another half hour or so before your back out I think trackdays are far better value for money , even do like 15 min gaps for certain classes all cars go out and see who sets the best time etc
StefanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:21   #20
evo_luver
Regional Organiser
 
evo_luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Swansea
Car: Evo 5 GSR with fully forged engine and lots of other toys, view my car for all the details.
My Car
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by evocop4 View Post
Facebook hasn't helped. I am not on it and don't intend to be. The last meet I attended was at autotroque and the spread was 2/1 Facebook owners. Need to get people back on forums and get the appeal going again. I have spoken to a few owners who aren't in the club and don't know what it is about.

Going backwards will kill the MLR, in my view we should be exploiting Facebook not avoiding it if we are going to appeal to the next generation of owners. Since creating a Regional page on FB our local membership has doubled, I just mirror what's on the MLR on FB and vice-versa, takes some effort but it pays off.

Forums are dying, we have to move with the times.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Regional Organiser (RO) for South Wales

Understeer: the front of the car hits the wall, oversteer: the rear of the car hits the wall, horsepower: how fast you hit the wall, torque: how far the wall moves
evo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to evo_luver For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (10-09-2017), Ben_r1 (19-09-2017), Evo6er (10-09-2017), jamie71 (11-09-2017), Mitzi5 (10-09-2017), octainejunkee (10-09-2017), P20SPD (12-09-2017), RichW (11-09-2017), the kitch (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:22   #21
evo_luver
Regional Organiser
 
evo_luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Swansea
Car: Evo 5 GSR with fully forged engine and lots of other toys, view my car for all the details.
My Car
Posts: 1,340
Sprinting Ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2.2 View Post
A few factors for me as to why I haven't had a go:

1st -
I like my drivetrain to much to launch it repeatedly.

Make everyone run a msa beam breaker at a set height. Set the start position but have the start beam 100 meters further up so no need to launch the car and a rule you cant launch it to make it even.

2nd-
I dont have a trailer to tow the car to events so if launching and pushing it to the limit and if I went wrong I have no way of getting home without a big bill.

3rd -
Location
I live on the south coast and cant afford to do 2 day weekends with stop overs in b&b's to attend sprints. Doing them in a single day would be dangerous due to travelling times

4th
Value for money, id sooner do a open pit lane day rather than a sprint, for me its all about seat time and enjoying the car for as long as possible. Not a quick expensive thrill

5th
How competitive the series got, my car would of been in class D but is not even close to spec of the likes of liddy, phill reed, norris, kenny etc


I went to combe 4 years ago to watch the sprint and thought it was fantastic, the machinery was great, the action was non stop, I was hooked and wanted to have a go and watch more.

Idea -
Time attack is now linked with car shows to give the public more to look at, like the cadwell show could each round not also be a all make japanese car show included.

I know thats alot to organise but you already have the venue sorted so get banzai/jap peerformance mag involved for publicity, a bit of extra support to set out club stand locations etc

Might even get more guest class cars entered also from other clubs.

Will get more revenue from public entry and display tickets

Makes it more appealing to sponsors

Trade stands on the day could also raise more money

Static show and shine competition

Make it a car show with a sprint 5 rounds at known tracks/locations.

I completely agree with all of this, but especially the part about launching. I simply don't have the funds to repair the drivetrain which will break and the parts are becoming rarer on older Evo's.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Regional Organiser (RO) for South Wales

Understeer: the front of the car hits the wall, oversteer: the rear of the car hits the wall, horsepower: how fast you hit the wall, torque: how far the wall moves

Last edited by evo_luver; 10-09-2017 at 08:23..
evo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:49   #22
Ross W
Ross Sport
 
Ross W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Près de Cambridge
Car: 8.75 @ 163
Posts: 16,975
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
Some really interesting points there. Its great to hear everyones points of view
This year the regs took a massive change in direction. I can see Darin's point of view trying to get back to the series' roots, but it has developed (rightly or wrongly) as a very competitive series. The times are way faster than all others running at same venues.
This year most of the die hard fans struggled to get to grips with the new regs which ended up having a negative effect on entries.
Personally I'm not ultra competitive but love the buzz the sprints give. I had ine of the best days ever sprinting this season at Castle Combe in a very simple spec car I co-own with Lidy. We both battled against each other all day pushing to the limit. I didnt get any trophies but simply had the sort of fun its impossible to recreate on a trackday.
__________________

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
Greenstar (14-09-2017), Trev-the-Rev (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16   #23
KNOXVILLE
Gav
 
KNOXVILLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Car: E46's (CSL, Manual M3 & 328) Nova 16v
Posts: 7,565
People will always make excuses.

I wanted to sprint and drove everywhere all over the country to compete. To and from every event, sometimes doing over 500 miles in a day.

Never broke anything either.

One of the main reasons people don't enter is they feel they will be uncompetitive or fair badly. Everyone wants to win don't they?!

Shame it's gone this way, met some great lads over the years.
KNOXVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KNOXVILLE For This Useful Post:
Cryptwalk (14-09-2017), davie-evo4 (10-09-2017), Greeny-o (13-09-2017), kins (10-09-2017), [email protected] Autos (10-09-2017), MT-EVO (18-01-2018), Northy 8 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:31   #24
Unobtainium
Registered User
 
Unobtainium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My Car
Posts: 36,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by evocop4 View Post
Facebook hasn't helped. I am not on it and don't intend to be. The last meet I attended was at autotroque and the spread was 2/1 Facebook owners. Need to get people back on forums and get the appeal going again. I have spoken to a few owners who aren't in the club and don't know what it is about.

I banded an idea a few years ago with Darin and kenny about a sprint off. I got brave and said I would get close to kenny with no track experience. I am an advanced police driver and have honed my skills chasing many a stolen Audi BMW and Subaru and wondered if I could transmit that to the track. I would still give it shot but understand kenny is no more?

Instead of being one dimensional with the sprint have a couple of hours of track time thrown in and may appeal to a different crowd. I have never done it so am as guilty to its demise but as a previous thread of mine shows I do use mine and would come along if closer or better incentive.

You're right. It seems everyone is on Facebook these days. As everyone knows, it's free and it has a great private chat facility so it's always going to have an advantage over the forum. I very rarely see the MLR in the newsfeed on there. Only now and again with the odd photo. Advertising is the key and gone are the days when you could just rely on people coming to you as a sprint organiser. You have to go to them and show them what's on offer. Unfortunately Facebook is the best way of doing that.

Your last idea is also a good one. These guys already do it:

http://www.mazdaontrack.co.uk/blyton...2017-641-p.asp

Combine the half trackday concept with rolling starts (as many fear smashing their drivetrain), more advertising on Facebook, open the series up to all cars like Javelin has (yes I know Darin doesn't want to do that but you'll get more Evos and Scoobs attending anyway, but whilst not make a financial loss), and get rid of the ridiculous 2017 rules (go back to the 2013 ones), and suddenly the sprint series will be back. It's worth a try.

As for Kenny, haven't you ever seen Southpark? Unfortunately for you lot Kenny always was, and always will be. Some say he has a adamantium skeleton just like Wolverine, but the truth is....he's made of Unobtainium.
__________________
My latest thread: Kenny1's Evo 5 RS - Throughout the years

Last edited by Unobtainium; 10-09-2017 at 10:35..
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unobtainium For This Useful Post:
[email protected] Autos (10-09-2017), octainejunkee (10-09-2017), Ross W (10-09-2017), Trev-the-Rev (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48   #25
Steviej
Senior User
 
Steviej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NE Scotland
Car: Evo6
Posts: 401
Quote;
Idea -
Time attack is now linked with car shows to give the public more to look at, like the cadwell show could each round not also be a all make japanese car show included.

I know thats alot to organise but you already have the venue sorted so get banzai/jap peerformance mag involved for publicity, a bit of extra support to set out club stand locations etc

Might even get more guest class cars entered also from other clubs.

Will get more revenue from public entry and display tickets

Makes it more appealing to sponsors

Trade stands on the day could also raise more money

Static show and shine competition

Make it a car show with a sprint 5 rounds at known tracks/locations.

This is very much like the SLS events are run at Knockhill with shows and other attractions along side the Sprint event which is similar to time attack with rolling starts and timed sessions, also classes are power to weight based which really makes the competition close and fair.
Personally I'd love to compete at a similar event at some of the classic tracks like Cadwell or Oulton without the major expense of doing TA
I realise there is a huge amount of organising too but it would be a shame to lose the MLR events, have a look at some of the SLS footage here.
www.facebook.com/SuperlapScotland
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1Ok1JNvlY

Last edited by Steviej; 10-09-2017 at 10:52..
Steviej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steviej For This Useful Post:
evo_luver (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03   #26
evo_luver
Regional Organiser
 
evo_luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Swansea
Car: Evo 5 GSR with fully forged engine and lots of other toys, view my car for all the details.
My Car
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOXVILLE View Post
People will always make excuses.

I think that's harsh, "excuses" are genuine reasons in most cases, not everyone has the funds.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Regional Organiser (RO) for South Wales

Understeer: the front of the car hits the wall, oversteer: the rear of the car hits the wall, horsepower: how fast you hit the wall, torque: how far the wall moves
evo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evo_luver For This Useful Post:
evocop4 (10-09-2017), Unobtainium (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:25   #27
evocop4
Horizon chaser
 
evocop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: north london
Car: Black Tommi Makinen 310bhp; Black Focus ST 270bhp
My Car
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
You're right. It seems everyone is on Facebook these days. As everyone knows, it's free and it has a great private chat facility so it's always going to have an advantage over the forum. I very rarely see the MLR in the newsfeed on there. Only now and again with the odd photo. Advertising is the key and gone are the days when you could just rely on people coming to you as a sprint organiser. You have to go to them and show them what's on offer. Unfortunately Facebook is the best way of doing that.

Your last idea is also a good one. These guys already do it:

http://www.mazdaontrack.co.uk/blyton...2017-641-p.asp

Combine the half trackday concept with rolling starts (as many fear smashing their drivetrain), more advertising on Facebook, open the series up to all cars like Javelin has (yes I know Darin doesn't want to do that but you'll get more Evos and Scoobs attending anyway, but whilst not make a financial loss), and get rid of the ridiculous 2017 rules (go back to the 2013 ones), and suddenly the sprint series will be back. It's worth a try.

As for Kenny, haven't you ever seen Southpark? Unfortunately for you lot Kenny always was, and always will be. Some say he has a adamantium skeleton just like Wolverine, but the truth is....he's made of Unobtainium.
Still willing to let me have a shot?! I thought u had changed your user name.

I for one would be up for the rolling starts. I learnt the hard way wrecking my first clutch launching at 30-130 and santa pod. 7-1/2 years it took me to have the funds to replace it. Life happened.

Maybe it needs rebranding, get magazines involved and invite others along in guest classes or run manufacture classes and have a shoot out at the end. The FOS has a huge audience with the final times shoot out. Need to open it up.
__________________
I love lamp!
evocop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evocop4 For This Useful Post:
Unobtainium (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 12:08   #28
davie-evo4
Regional Organiser
 
davie-evo4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: glasgow
Car: A slow yin
My Car
Posts: 8,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOXVILLE View Post
People will always make excuses.

I wanted to sprint and drove everywhere all over the country to compete. To and from every event, sometimes doing over 500 miles in a day.

Never broke anything either.

One of the main reasons people don't enter is they feel they will be uncompetitive or fair badly. Everyone wants to win don't they?!

Shame it's gone this way, met some great lads over the years.
This^^^

I was the same, doing over 800 mile round trips to come last at most of the sprints lol.

Apart from 2 engines, 2 gearboxes, 3 clutches, 1 rear diff and a few other things I never had a problem with breakages.

Like the idea putting it on with a show and also the SLS up here have got it spot on I think with rules as earlier mentioned.
__________________
"get the **** with it and make it ******* happen"

Tony Beets.....The Legend.
davie-evo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17   #29
Ross W
Ross Sport
 
Ross W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Près de Cambridge
Car: 8.75 @ 163
Posts: 16,975
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
One idea I sugested to Darin, was the possibility of a series with lower number of rounds say 3 or 4 rounds.
1. 2015/2016 regs, top 3 results count.
2. Competitors commit to full season up front (some how)
3. Decent prize fund for each class from sposors, so if you come in top 3 you can cover a good bit of expenses for the season.
4. Winners from each class go to a shootout to decide the overall champion.
Driving a car none of them are familiar with. (Fully insured)

Thoughts?
__________________

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21   #30
davie-evo4
Regional Organiser
 
davie-evo4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: glasgow
Car: A slow yin
My Car
Posts: 8,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross W View Post
One idea I sugested to Darin, was the possibility of a series with lower number of rounds say 3 or 4 rounds.
1. 2015/2016 regs, top 3 results count.
2. Competitors commit to full season up front (some how)
3. Decent prize fund for each class from sposors, so if you come in top 3 you can cover a good bit of expenses for the season.
4. Winners from each class go to a shootout to decide the overall champion.
Driving a car none of them are familiar with. (Fully insured)

Thoughts?
5. RossW give massive discounts to all sprinters, especially drivetrain parts.

__________________
"get the **** with it and make it ******* happen"

Tony Beets.....The Legend.
davie-evo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davie-evo4 For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (11-09-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.