Sprinting Ideas... - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Events > Pace Ward MLR Sprint Series

Old 08-09-2017, 21:53   #1
Ross W
Ross Sport

Car: 8.75 @ 163
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
Sprinting Ideas...

It was a sad day at Cadwell when Darin announced MLR sprinting was cancelled for the for forseeable future...
The series has been such a great asset to the club and I'm sure everybody involved personally has enjoyed it, so I'm just struggling to understand what is wrong with the series?
As a company we have sponsored for many years and I thoroughly enjoyed being involved.
Some people think it's because the value of our cars is increasing so don't want to risk damaging them and others argue it's because the series became so competitive & expensive to be competitive.
Unfortunately it's always going to be a little bit like that with any non-one make series but the fun factor was always there regardless so I'd like to throw out for discussion what was really wrong with the series or if there is any way of resurrecting it for the future.
Just trying to understand if it's really dead because nobody is interested or if there is some way of taking things forward?
What does everyone really want from it other than a cracking day out testing yourself and your car against your pals.

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 22:35   #2
evo_luver
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo 5 GSR with fully forged engine and lots of other toys, view my car for all the details.
My Car
Darin asked me to compete a few times and tbh the reason I didn't as I just didn't see the attraction of single laps. For the same price you can do a full OPL trackday and learn more about you and your car over 60 laps over a day plus get instruction etc.

I am sure sprinting has its place but that's the reason it never attracted me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understeer: the front of the car hits the wall, oversteer: the rear of the car hits the wall, horsepower: how fast you hit the wall, torque: how far the wall moves
evo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:46   #3
Trev-the-Rev

Car: V1 RS450 Extreme.
My Car
I've been sprinting for around 17 years - the last 9 of which in my Evo in MSA events. Personally, the MLRSS has never really appealed to me for two reasons. The first is the geographical spread of the series and the second is the relatively limited variety of cars you are competing against. I realise that both of these factors are inherent to the series, but felt I should share my own reasons for not doing it. Nevertheless, it is sad to hear of the series demise.

Never run out of track, grip and ideas at the same time
Trev-the-Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 09:02   #4
Ross W
Ross Sport

Car: 8.75 @ 163
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_luver View Post
Darin asked me to compete a few times and tbh the reason I didn't as I just didn't see the attraction of single laps. For the same price you can do a full OPL trackday and learn more about you and your car over 60 laps over a day plus get instruction etc.

I am sure sprinting has its place but that's the reason it never attracted me.

Track days are for sure a great way of getting a lot of seat time, but having done both I don't think you can really compare the two.
The buzz you get from competitive Motorsport I have personally never got on a track day. I'm sure the competitive side isn't for everybody but just my own personal opinion.

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
RSgeoff (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 13:36   #5
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
im SHOCKED to see it go ,what a waste of all the time and hard work thats gone in to it

i just think theres many reasons why its failed ,not every one has desire to compete ,many buy and fund these things on a shoe string these days so cant afford break downs or failers ,never mind look after and service the things properly ,and many are simply garage queens and polished to death
for me id have done more but they never fell in line with rallys ive been doing .but ive allways said theres was NO cheaper way in to competative motorsport in an evo ANY where

but it not just the MLRSS ,i scruttineer quite few msa sprints and hill climbs ,some numbers playing out make me wonder why clubs actually do it ,some events we used to see 100+ with non stop action getting 4 or 5 runs in a day ,now some events only get 40 some hills even less where they can see 8 to 10 runs ,with folk being home for tea at a sensible time
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
darrenevo123 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 13:49   #6
Evo6er
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 MR
My Car
I honestly think it's down to locations of the sprints. There's none in the south, and if you take into account how many owners there are in Surrey, Kent, Essex, Sussex etc events at Oulton & Cadwell are just too much of a punt to get to. The series could be split north/south regions with the winners going head to head in a midlands event. I know a lot of EVO owners who track there cars but Snetterton and Silverstone is probably as far as they would bother to venture north.

Ads9 (09-09-2017), Ben_r1 (19-09-2017), evo/nut (09-09-2017), evocop4 (09-09-2017), Moley (09-09-2017), the kitch (10-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 14:22   #7
wizzzbang

As mentioned above. Not enough of these in the home counties.

As for the time on track. Could we not have a flying lap system. You get an out lap, a timed lap and an in lap. This also reduces the chances of wreaking your clutch/drive train.
wizzzbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 14:31   #8
nwwil
Senior User

Car: evo 5 rs race car project
i think the only way we will have sprints are if we all pay up front, when we have amount of drivers paid to cover the day and then find a venue.
nwwil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nwwil For This Useful Post:
octainejunkee (10-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 15:09   #9
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
I used to be put off by it been too clicky

My current car wouldn't be competitive but I would have liked to have had a go to improve my driving.

Could more be done a novice group maybe who have limited sprint experience?

Some of the older faces I have met have been great and incouraging but as mentioned before feel like some look down their noses if you havent got 20-30k plus tied up in your car.
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:00   #10
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, Honda Fireblade & Nissan Navara
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeslancer8 View Post
I used to be put off by it been too clicky

My current car wouldn't be competitive but I would have liked to have had a go to improve my driving.

Could more be done a novice group maybe who have limited sprint experience?

Some of the older faces I have met have been great and incouraging but as mentioned before feel like some look down their noses if you havent got 20-30k plus tied up in your car.
With the utmost of respect, being the newbie into any group can feel daunting and any group can come across as clicky if said group doesn't make an extra effort to introduce themselves. At a general meet they're more likely to but at an event where people have limited time to prepare their car and catch up with people they do know I think that is to be expected, sadly.
When I'm able to go to meets I do *try* to say hello and introduce myself and others but a bit of effort from the first timer doesn't go amiss. Dan and Dave as RO's both make a fair effort with members and new faces at their events.

I've not competed and as already mentioned the location tracks puts me off being southern.
Rising car values must be a factor. Although I do wonder if there's any relation to the reduction in the number of MLR trackdays? Ive only ever been to one MLR track day at Brands and it was great, had I not sold that car I suspect I'd have done more and possibly got into sprinting... I've not had the opportunity or time with the current Evo but I do wonder if trackdays can give you the bug and it goes from there?
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ads9 For This Useful Post:
JasonL91 (09-09-2017), octainejunkee (10-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 19:23   #11
peeler
Senior User

Car: RED TME, Transit M-Sport, Range Rover Lumma GTevo
My Car
I don't think it was the location as many sprints have been sell outs previous but couldn't make the numbers over the last couple of years

As said I think it's lots of things not just 1, Evo's are getting rarer, the cost of running them is very high and lots of the above points

I've personally had some great years doing the series met lots of good people and had a ball , I stopped purely down to finances but if I lived on the mainland I would of still been doing it.

Not sprinting paid for me to take my kids to Disney so I'll be doing more things with the kids

2013, Norris Designs 100k+ build , issues at every event entered

2014 2nd MLRSS Class B

2015,16 MLRSS class B champion , 2015,16 IOM 3day Manxhill climb champion
peeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peeler For This Useful Post:
Furious X (18-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 19:56   #12
wozzy

I blame mitsi. They haven't made a decent car in 10 years now ( some would say longer if you forget the X ). How can you have a MITSUBISHI sprint series with no new decent mitsubishis
Ads9 (10-09-2017), octainejunkee (10-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 19:57   #13
markmec
Senior User

Car: Transit custom sport
Locations and travelling were my issues, along with my twins arriving and work.

However if Ross supplies me a car I'll be back 😎😂

I have been doing trackdays recently and tbh I understand the "competitive edge" isn't quite the same, however seat time on a trackday is a massive amount more per £ and I make my own competition. 😬

I would be back in heart beat though if funds allowed, always loved evos and as most know I've had a few (16). 😂👍🏻
markmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 20:21   #14
Evo6er
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 MR
My Car
I don't see how EVO's are getting rarer with the amount that have been imported over the years. I've never seen so many lately!

Old 09-09-2017, 20:22   #15
Moley
Senior User

Again, for me it's location. Being in the South East my 'local' sprint was a 3 hour drive away.
Moley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moley For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (10-09-2017), evo/nut (09-09-2017), Evo6er (09-09-2017), interbishi (11-09-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: