Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 18-09-2008, 23:56   #1
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
How To: Add an image to your signature

(Thread is for reference)

This thread describes how to take an image on your computer's hard drive and add it to your signature on the MLR. Before we start I'd like to remind you that any image you want as your signature must be less than 125 pixels high and less than 35k in size.

There are two ways of doing this, so I'll start with the simplest. From the MLR menu select My MLR->User CP which will take you to your Control Panel. Alternatively you can just click here. Down the left of the screen is a list of links, one of which is "Edit signature", so click it;
Attached Images

Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-2008, 23:57   #2
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
In the main right-hand area of this screen there is an "Edit Signature" section with the big white box, and underneath that is a "Signature Picture" section. There are two options here with Option 2 having a "Browse" button, so click it;
Attached Images

Old 18-09-2008, 23:58   #3
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
The standard file selection box will open so select the image your want for your signature and click the "Open" button.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-09-2008, 23:59   #4
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Now click the red "Save Signature" button and your image will be uploaded and the screen will look like this;
Attached Images

Last edited by Aidy; 19-09-2008 at 00:12..
Old 18-09-2008, 23:59   #5
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Your image has now been uploaded and a preview appears in the "Your Current Signature Picture" box (1) and there is also an "Insert Signature Picture" link (2). Click the "Insert Signature Picture" link and your signature box will look like this;
Attached Images

Old 19-09-2008, 00:01   #6
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Click the red "Save Signature" box again and you're done.

That's the most basic and simple way of uploading an image to your signature. There are a few slightly more advanced things you can now do now your signature has been uploaded. If you want you can provide some text that will appear when someone hovers over your image with their mouse. To do this, update your signature like this;

HTML Code:
[SIGPIC]This is some text[/SIGPIC]
Again click the "Save Signature" box, and when someone hovers over your signature image it will look like this;
Attached Images

Old 19-09-2008, 00:04   #7
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
We can get more advanced still and make the image a link that goes to a web address when you click it. For our example we'll make the image a link to https://www.lancerregister.com

HTML Code:
[URL=https://www.lancerregister.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
And of course you can combine the two;

HTML Code:
[URL=https://www.lancerregister.com][SIGPIC]Click to visit my website[/SIGPIC][/URL]
The advantage of the above method is that it's quite easy to do and takes you seconds. The disadvantage is that you can only have one signature image and you might want more than one. It also means you can only use your image on the MLR and not on other forums you might be a member of (again note that images must conform to the MLR's size limits to be allowed, just because they allow massive signature images on other forums does not mean you are allowed them on the MLR).

The second method of getting an image in your signature is to link to it when it is already hosted on another website. If the image is currently on your computer there are a number of websites that will host it for you for free. The one we will look at is PhotoBucket.

Once you've registered and logged in to PhotoBucket you'll see a screen with a section like this;
Attached Images

Last edited by Aidy; 19-09-2008 at 00:15..
Old 19-09-2008, 00:05   #8
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Ensure "my computer" is selected in the "from" section (1) and click the "choose files" button (2). The standard file selection box will appear, so find the image you want to upload on your computer then click "open".
Attached Images

Old 19-09-2008, 00:06   #9
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
The file will be uploaded and PhotoBucket may ask to add tags or a description to the image (see below) but just choose to skip this step.
Attached Images

Old 19-09-2008, 00:07   #10
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
You should now see the image you have uploaded on your PhotoBucket account. It will look something like this;
Attached Images

Old 19-09-2008, 00:07   #11
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Under the image are some boxes that contain text that will link to the image from various systems. The one that is compatible with the MLR (and most forums) is the "IMG Code" box and it will contain something like this;

HTML Code:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Aidy/mlr_new_logo.gif[/IMG]
Copy the contents of the "IMG Code" box to your clipboard (at the time of writing you only need to click the box and it will be automatically copied to your clipboard) and go back to the MLR. From the MLR menu select My MLR->User CP which will take you to your Control Panel. Alternatively you can just click here.

Click the "Edit Signature" link and simply paste the text you copied from PhotoBucket into the "Your signature" box like so;
Attached Images

Last edited by Aidy; 19-09-2008 at 00:16..
Old 19-09-2008, 00:08   #12
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Now press the red "Save Signature" button further down the page and that's it. When you link images in this way you have an advantage of being able to add multiple images (*) by simply uploading multiple images to your PhotoBucket and adding them to your signature like this;

HTML Code:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Aidy/image1.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Aidy/image2.gif[/IMG]
You can also make your images links by adding the URL tag as seen previously;

HTML Code:
[URL=https://www.lancerregister.com][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Aidy/image1.gif[/IMG][/URL]
* NOTE - At the current time the MLR only allows you to have one image in your signature. This might change in the future, but for now it is one image only.

Last edited by Aidy; 29-09-2008 at 20:53..
Old 19-09-2008, 05:47   #13
Dommy

Car: ping again!
My Car
Good work Aidy, I had to change mine as I want 2 images, so it meant I had to put the links either side of them. Is there anyway of still putting the lnks behind 2 images rather than one? I had to put 2 images together to make one image, if that makes sense?
Dommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 07:54   #14
daisy_darling

Hi Aidy, i don't see any box that would let me load a pic when i click on edit signature. It only lets me use text, no gif's or images

I've taken a couple of pics of my screen.... what am i doing wrong ?
Attached Images

daisy_darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 08:18   #15
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_darling View Post
Hi Aidy, i don't see any box that would let me load a pic when i click on edit signature. It only lets me use text, no gif's or images

I've taken a couple of pics of my screen.... what am i doing wrong ?
Do you have an "Edit Profile Picture" link in your Control Panel? Should be about 5 links down from "Edit Signature". Also what browser are you using?
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: