Evo x dreaded awd service light - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 19-08-2018, 22:11   #1
EvoXpee

Evo x dreaded awd service light

Had the dreaded light come on today , pops up about 10 seconds after driving every time , im assuming this means the pump , if so can this be sorted with the rebuild kits that are now available? Ive checked fluids levels fine
EvoXpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2018, 21:17   #2
DannyTk

Hi,
I've got mine come up once or twice since buying the car a few months ago.
There seems to be kits on eBay, but if you rebuild it you then have to bleed the system. Which is the part I'm worried about.
There are places that offer refurbing for as little as £220 I've found. But again they require you send the pump and then you got to bleed it yourself.
I'm considering doing it myself with a kit off eBay, then taking it to the dealer to bleed the system for me.
There are a decent amount of videos on YouTube doing the refurb.
I've been trying to pull the fault code, as my service light only comes on when I'm giving it the beans around corners and islands. On start up I hear the pump start an stop (suggesting it's made its pressure)
I've had two code readers of eBay now and neither will pull the code.
DannyTk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:54   #3
Sephiro
Senior User

Car: Evo X SST 330
You will need MUT III or possibly Evoscan to pull the codes as the generic readers don't talk to the AWC ECU. There are plenty of other reasons for the S-AWC light to come on (wheel mismatch, wheel sensors etc) so if it sounds like it's making pressure quickly when you start the car it may be something else.
Sephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sephiro For This Useful Post:
DannyTk (20-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2018, 12:55   #4
wieczor25
Junior User

Car: BMW 645
Check your tyres pressure too! Mine was low at the front and was throwing an error after driving for a bit.
Old 22-08-2018, 13:51   #5
EvoXpee

Ill try the tyre pressures later fingers crossed , my light comes on about 10 seconds after turning the ignition on before even moving the car
Is there any tell tale signs when it is the pump? I really cant justify spending a grand to sort it out when im more than happy to rebuild the pump myself , if i disconnect the pump and rebuild will it be safe to drive to the dealer? I know theyll be air in the system
EvoXpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:09   #6
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
You can take the pump off and drive the car without it with no problems.. just keep in mind you will have more understeer and car will not drive well on the limit..

rebulding it yourself is ok as long as the solenoids are not broken. To bleed the system later you can use the "bleed boxes" available online..

rebuild itself is not too difficult, but it doesnt have to be succesfull every time.. but any competent mechanic can do it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:21   #7
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Just to add a dealer will probably charge you in the region of £100 to "service" the AYC, ie change the fluid and bleed the system. Apart from reading the error codes the next best thing is to just listen to the pump when the car starts. It will make noise while building pressure and then stop. When it can't build pressure it makes noise for longer, but of course you probably have no idea how long "too long" is, so that might not help you much.

Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
nickyd150 (27-08-2018)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: