Lancer Register Forum banner

Link G4+ and Plex CAN display

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  AdDaMan 
#1 ·
I've had a Link G4+ for about a year and as I like to try new things (I'm a sucker for a new gadget) I came across Plex CAN displays earlier this year. One of the many advantages of aftermarket over stock ECU is the option to use CAN. For those don't know CAN (Controller Area Network) it's a 2 wire network protocol often found in cars and is becoming more and more common in aftermarket as it makes connection very simple- as little as 2 wires for power and 2 for data, job done.

While CAN displays have been around for a while (MoTeC, Link, Plex to name but a few) Plex tuning recently released a micro display, their uSDM. I've been lucky enough to get hold of one and have put a little video together of it installed and running.

The next step will be to remove my Defi's and EVC Boost controller (thereby tidying up in the interior) and replace with the necessary sensors directly to the ECU. I'll then be able to have the data when I want it but more importantly I can map in additional safety features based upon this data- such as oil pressure Vs RPM.

The display really is a cracking bit of kit- it has an integrated 4 colour LED which can be used for a shift light- with a different RPM in a different gear if you so desire. It can also be set to flash up a warning screen for many different parameters should your limit be exceeded.
There are currently about 8 template screens available in the programming software, all of which can be customised to show the data in the format you want it- and I've been told that more templates are coming.

Hope it's of interest, and apologies for my limited video editing ability!

See less See more
#7 ·
I got the lower spec 100 model and it was €440 delivered, so about £400. The 102 model (has some inputs onboard) is about €600 delivered I think.

I was talking to Andy at AC Speedtech about doing something similar on my car over winter.. Wasn't using the plex though, it was going to an android based tablet and displaying different things like oil temp, boost etc..

I use a link myself that he fitted, seems to think it wouldnt be too much of a problem.

The plex looks good but it suffers from too small a display if you ask me, I want mine big enough for me to see without having to look down and squint.
It is quite small, but the fact you can have full screen or 2 items to a screen (4 is still easily visible, 8 you do have to look) and also have full screen pop up's for alarm conditions mitigate that I think. One funky option is to mount it on the steering wheel- but probably not a hot idea if you've still got an air bag! :eek:

Tablet would be cool, someone did a really nice install a while back where they hid the stereo behind it and fitted remote control to the steering cowl. I think Defi do a dedicated bluetooth device, as do Syvecs?

Good work Ad.
Thank you :smthumbup

#5 · (Edited)
I was talking to Andy at AC Speedtech about doing something similar on my car over winter.. Wasn't using the plex though, it was going to an android based tablet and displaying different things like oil temp, boost etc..

I use a link myself that he fitted, seems to think it wouldnt be too much of a problem.

The plex looks good but it suffers from too small a display if you ask me, I want mine big enough for me to see without having to look down and squint.

#12 ·
Using a Windows tablet lets you use the PC Link software, my flatmate has one integrated into the dash cluster in his Silvia, it works very well, only gripe is it doesn't automatically start live display (you just hit F3 on the bluetooth keyboard that lives in the glovebox).

Reactions: Ads9
#8 ·
This is great. Very neat install. Thanks for sharing.

Cheerz

Mark H

Reactions: Ads9
#13 ·
hey that looks pretty cool and a nice product off the shelf. for about $200 AUD i made up this screen for the vipec v44 using a local digital display system and some programming.

car is in storage for about a month, but once its finished ill have it working with EGT, oil temp and oil pressure all via CANBUS off the vipec

main thread here for anyone else interested
http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/1451-diy-vipec-display/&page=5

#16 ·
After a few years of having the Plex and turbo timer bodged to a piece of carbon, I finally had some time to play with the 3D printer to make this up.

Fits like a glove and looks a bit more subtle being all black. Also have the option of mounting switches above the TT if the need arises.

Also a longevity update on the uSDM, almost every time I open the Plex app there is an update (which is an automated process) and there have been several firmwares along with additional screen layouts. I note Syvecs rebrand these and if you're thinking of one to compliment an S6/7/8 you won't go far wrong!

Attachments

#18 ·
After a few years of having the Plex and turbo timer bodged to a piece of carbon, I finally had some time to play with the 3D printer to make this up.

Fits like a glove and looks a bit more subtle being all black. Also have the option of mounting switches above the TT if the need arises.

Also a longevity update on the uSDM, almost every time I open the Plex app there is an update (which is an automated process) and there have been several firmwares along with additional screen layouts. I note Syvecs rebrand these and if you're thinking of one to compliment an S6/7/8 you won't go far wrong!
Hey. I'm about to order 1 but have a quick question, does it come with its own lead to connect to the link g4+ CAN connecter or did you have to buy the Link one?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.