Lancer Register Forum banner

Squeaky brakes

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tom Dick 
#1 ·
Just had some new disks and pads put on the car and the squeak from the brakes is annoyingly loud. Took it out for a spin with some hard braking thinking this would rid it but when you brake hard they are quiet it’s only when you touch the brakes it’s like someone squealing.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this?

#7 · (Edited)
Forgot the name of the pads but they are a race pad and we're £250 for the fronts and the disks are a set of C hook disks for my brembo calipers, on a plus side the car stops really well now.

Remembered what the pads are, they are Pagid RST4's. They stop exactly as I hoped for but it's an ear piercing squeal :)

#3 ·
I have the same problem with my 7. put all new standard pagid discs and pads on and squeeks under light braking high pitched squeal even at 5 mph. the discs look fab and I cleaned and fitted them with great care, even applying anti squeal paste to the pad backing plate
think its what evos do tbh.. lol

#4 ·
Mine loves to squeak at very low speeds - always has. Sometimes I think it fits the car and other times its embrassing!

#5 ·
I must be one of the few that doesn’t suffer with squeaky brakes, that’s with AP 6 pots up front, standard rears, PF discs and XP8’s.

Dust, now I do I get dust :blah::lol:

#6 ·
Over the years this topic has come up numerous times, but I think it's fair to say that there's never been an explanation to fit every situation.

Bear in mind that squeal is essentially the noise made by some kind of vibration. Remove the source of the vibration and the squealing noise goes away. Easily said, but not so easily dealt with!

There are some obvious things to do, but my own conclusion is that mostly the squeal occurs when there is some kind of mismatch in characteristics between your particular pad and disc combination. Change the pads to something else and the problem might well go away, but same pads with different discs can also make a difference.

In practical terms probably the cheapest way to set about finding a solution is to buy the cheapest set of pads you can get your hands on and see what, if any, difference that makes. If the squeal goes away your immediate reaction will probably be to attribute the problem entirely to your other pads, but it might just as easily be the discs as well, or instead. So then you might think about a disc change but keep the original pads. And so on, and so on until you get totally fed up and/or run out of funds!

But if the squeal persists with the cheap pads I would then be much more inclined to go for an immediate disc change.

Other things to check (I'm assuming we are talking OE Brembos)- have you got the OE stainless steel pad shims in place and correctly orientated (on the rears), have you checked disc and hub runout, are the disc to hub surfaces spotless clean and free from corrosion, are your caliper pistons all moving freely, are the pad locating sliders clean, do the pads slot in nice and freely into the calipers (but not too freely), and the list goes on.

It can be a long and painful process, but should be worth it in the end.

And finally, don't automatically assume that the squeal you hear from the c*ckpit is necessarily coming from either the front or the rear - and I say this from bitter experience of having spent a lot of time concentrating on fronts only to find the source of squeal to be the rears!

#8 ·
Race/Track pads will nearly always squeal at slow speeds as its not what they are designed to deal with, the harder materials used are designed to give high friction and good lifespan but the downside is potential squeal on normal/steady road use as you have found, some get lucky and dont have any like Tom but usually because they are working the brakes hard most of the time, thish keeps everything working together as it should and reduces chance of squeal.

Evo brembos and other of similar design are worst offenders ive come across for this over many years in the business.

It can sometimes quieten down with more usage and mileage so stick with them see how it goes, or fit a road pad for road use is other option but even then on Evo brembos they can be squeaky!

#9 ·
, some get lucky and dont have any like Tom but usually because they are working the brakes hard most of the time,
:eek::eek::eek::eek::handsup::handsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.