Lancer Register Forum banner

7/8 Gr.N Rally Car Project

10K views 54 replies 11 participants last post by  DEFIKS 
#1 ·
Getns,

Few weeks ago new project has started and it is build of the Gr.N Rally Car.

The org. donor was yellow 7 bought on this for m about 2 years ago, but during the sand blasting it turned out the floor is like a mesh, so we have decided to buy another shell, which was rust free Evo 8 with welded in cage already.

Evo 8 shell also went for full treatment as well and been painted in only right colour for the rally car.

Photos of the jobs so far below:

[/URL]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/yBTnp5.jpg[/IMG]

See less See more
#6 ·
looking good guys

ANY help you need just shout ,ive rallied evos for 14 years now ,its my work and hobby ,im also an MSUK scruttineer if you need any techincal and rally legal advice
Will keep in mind. Thank you. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Project in final stage now, few only main bits:

1. New engine, fully forged with Mahle internals (car at this sage will be use to learn how to, so we have decided to forged the engine to save in the future)
2. New OEM Evo 9 Turbo with 34mm restrictor
3. Motec engine management system mapped with LC and AL / 300hp as will be used on frozen lake with Swedish long spike tyres and also frozen gravel roads in the woods
4. Stnd. Evo throttle body for proper Gr.N idling sound
5. Motec ACD management sustem / mapped
6. Sparco bucket seats
7. Sparco steering wheel
8. New Protlum suspension (full option)
9. Dog box after full revisions with new bearings
10. Stnd. front diff
11. ACD central diff
12. Evo 9 RS diff
13. Gr.N exhaust system
14. Safety power switch in/out the car
15. Antifire system
16. Many others...

#11 ·
Nearly there, few more bits like full new custom built Gr.N exhaust to be fitted next week and on the 21st this month we go for a Dyno.

Two maps 300hp/500Nm -/+ and 400hp/600Nm -/+ with 2 stage ALS so 0.8 bar and 1 bar as well as LC, shift light etc.

#15 · (Edited)
To be more precise, we are going to run Evo 9 turbo. Regulated Gr.N restrictor is 33m and then on sport fuel you will be looking around 300hp/500-550Nm -/+

I'm going to run 34mm restrictor (every 1mm is about 15 to 20hp gain) so we are looking on standard 98 RON pump fuel to have 315-320hp / 550Nm and max. power is at about 5000-5200RPM so you are saving engine as this is shifting point, car runs like a diesel right from the bottom but has not top end...

Second map, no restrictor, Evo 9 turbo, standard 98 RON pump fuel we are looking to run 400hp/600Nm and then you are going up to 6500-6800RPM -/+.

Car will run on standalone Motec with ALS.

Thanks.
Paul.

#17 ·
How do you rate the Carbonmax products quality wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, they fit perfect and they are real carbon with correct amount of layers, top quality in my opinion.

Thanks.

#19 ·
Yea, as you said you are only limited from a certain rpm due to the restrictor. Down low, there is no penalty with the restrictor, so essentially you just run as much boost as possible there. But yea on SP98 that's quite a lot of torque. What is your boost pressure with the evo 9 turbo?

#27 ·
I believe you mate, seen some Gr.N cars splitting out some serious hp and Nm, I just gave standard numbers for this engine but I think it will be a bit more, as the whole engine is done from bottom to the top with all new parts, new 9 turbo and so on, so we will see on the 21st :smthumbup

#28 ·
its all in the boost we saw 289 bhp ,there was no more really unless we upped the boost passed 1.7 ,that was a new 9 turbo on a standard 7 engine ,we clearly could have had more on 102 octane ,but what we had was superb so never bothered ,the torque curve was amazing tho

i will see if i can find a print out

#30 · (Edited)
pipe ready, 76mm from turbo + 63mm + removable/quick hitch section including catback / catalyst to insert straight through pipe ;)

#32 ·
I did but I had my made to my custom requirements etc. to max. out on the torque, so bigger 76mm elbow etc. Built by my local guys, where it was actually built on the car so perfect fitment etc. It was a bit more but also better material used too, as it's not only stainless steel but it's acid steel / not sure the right word for it???

Thanks.

#34 ·
Hello,

76mm / 3" elbow with standard Evo 9 turbo = improved gasses flow, so easier spool / more power / more torque. If you look over online shops you will find 100s sellers offering bigger elbows for standard turbos for the same purpose.

Thanks.

#36 ·
Monday / Tuesday will post the graphs, it does make a small difference like few other things and all together you are getting few more Hp with more flat TQ and also a bit more down the range etc.

#38 ·
Me too, looking forward to the graphs. I like your build, there aren't many proper rally cars on this forum, I cannot wait to hear your opinion about the suspension, it looks mega.

Regarding the exhaust and torque, I cannot help to think that of course the biggest the better, but that's regarding HP. You obviously don't want to restrict the flow, but that flow is only getting restricted at high rpm, where you make power, so if you don't have a free-enough exhaust you'll limit your power figure. But the maximum torque is produced at lower rpm where exhaust flow is smaller, therefore having a "big" exhaust will reduce the speed at which the exhaust gasses are travelling inside the pipes, therefore loosing energy. A smaller exhaust at lower rpm will create some back pressure that will help turbo spool due to the pressure differential created between the gas pressure before and after the turbo. Of course there are mixed opinions about this, and I've never seen someone testing back-to-back different exhausts on a dyno, so this is just engine-armchair-engineer stuff (engine is not my field of work :) )

#39 ·
engine runs now, started instantly, now few hours idling, oil change and then 300km driving using higher revs / not loading it at all just revs and then oil change and Monday & Tuesday Dyno. :naughty:

Graphs will follow and comment too.

Thanks.

#41 ·
thing with rally cars you cant go much bigger than 2 3/4 inch pipe other wise its hangs down to far and is soon flattened ,

YES a bigger system could flow better but when the inlets only 33 mm ,look at it on a rule its really is TINY ,the out put side of things neednt be overly large

#45 · (Edited)
Evening Gents,

Unfortunately we had a small problem with clutch which was slipping a little bit under the load on the bottom end and the results below are a bit off as we could not push the car right from the bottom. The graphs are for set up without the restrictor with std. Evo 9 turbo.

Results with clutch working properly would be: 395hp -/+ and 590 NM -/+ no restrictor and 300hp+ with 34mm restrictor.

We have 3 maps / no restrictor

1 map with 34mm restrictor

2 x ALS

LC

Videos:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.