Evo 4 ECU problems - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > ECU / Mapping

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 13:02   #1
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Evo 4 ECU problems

Ok guys, i need some help please from a local friendly Evo 4-6 owner who is still running MAF.

My Evo 4 is running on MAP and I suspect aftermarket ECU (AEM series 1) is giving me no coil signal (5v).

I've bought Evo 7 ECU, MAF and a set of 560cc injectors to try and get it running.

I bought the Evo not running and have done a load of wiring tests to conclude the above issue. My major problem is that the MAF plug has long gone and I need to determine where the wires come out of the main harness so I can trace back and put a MAF plug back in.

Basically I need a friendly owner who doesn't mind me taking a quick look at the wiring routing in the engine bay RH side location so I can pull mine apart and rewire.

Alternatively anyone with a close up picture of where the loom starts for the MAF in the engine bay RH side?

Alternatively I could try running the Evo 7 ecu without wiring in the MAF, I only need to get it running on idle and low revs to make sure there aren't any major problems with the engine. Woud this work?
Attached Images
 
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:26   #2
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Anybody any suggestions?
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 11:41   #3
LEGNUMVR4
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 371
People plug the maf out to try and narrow down running
Issues ,so fit the ECU and see what happens.
I have a 4 I can take pics of the maf wiring later on .
Send me your number and I'll send pics on WhatsApp if you need them
LEGNUMVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 21-11-2020, 09:46   #4
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGNUMVR4 View Post
People plug the maf out to try and narrow down running
Issues ,so fit the ECU and see what happens.
I have a 4 I can take pics of the maf wiring later on .
Send me your number and I'll send pics on WhatsApp if you need them
Much appreciated Legnum. PM sent
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 16:15   #5
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Ok bit of an update.

E7 ECU plugged in - MR578511 - no start. Points noted - No coil signal as AEM ECU, this time though no fuel pump prime.

Bare in mind that i'm running a modified fuel system and have no idea how it has been wired.

Swapped pins 8 and 22 over back over (they had been swapped from the Evo 4 wiring harness configuration to the Evo 8) - still no start and no fuel pump prime.

Swapped the AEM ECU back in to check above re-pin and no fuel pump prime.

So in summary I get no fuel pump prime from the E7 ECU with either pin configuration.

There are a couple of other odd wiring quirks from the old AEM ECU wiring -

1) No wire into pin 60 O2 sensor heater - Is this an issue?
2) A wire in Pin 59 Blue could this be the pin 60 O2 heater wire?
3) Both OBD2 wires missing 56 & 62, likely as AEM doesn't use OBD so no surprise there. Will need wiring back in I presume
4) Pin 90 missing - Volume Air flow sensor. Running MAP but will likely rewire in as I am trying to get the car running to check it over with MAF refitted.

My main question is, does this suggest that the ECU has immobiliser code on (or it's a knackered ECU!!) preventing Fuel pump prime irrespective of pin 8/22 position?

Any further ideas on anything that I may be missing?

To recap, not getting any signal from AEM ECU coil 1 or 2 drivers hence the ECU swap to check.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Dave.
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 17:18   #6
grants
Senior User
 
grants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
My Car
Posts: 9,569
Quick reply

Evo4 has a two wire Lambda, signal and sensor ground. no heater

Grant
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 17:26   #7
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
Quick reply

Evo4 has a two wire Lambda, signal and sensor ground. no heater

Grant
Ok, Iím not sure if this has been played with as itís had a lot of work and havenít even lifted the car properly off the ground to take a look at lambda probe/wiring.

Itís running a Gt 3582 so has a different position probe. Not sure how much of a difference that will make?

Ultimately I am just trying to get a spark to the coils so canít be too problematic!! But itís not proving as easily as I thought it would.

Dave.
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 12:57   #8
r3k1355
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 348
Does it crank the engine over?
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:14   #9
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
Does it crank the engine over?
Yes, cranks with pins either way 8-22 swap, but no fuel pump prime (bosch external fitted so that was working fine on AEM, but still not starting) and no coil drive voltage.
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 14:08   #10
rjwkerkhof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
My Car
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
Yes, cranks with pins either way 8-22 swap, but no fuel pump prime (bosch external fitted so that was working fine on AEM, but still not starting) and no coil drive voltage.
Are you sure the Immobilizer in the E7 ecu is disabled?
rjwkerkhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 14:14   #11
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwkerkhof View Post
Are you sure the Immobilizer in the E7 ecu is disabled?
I don't know about the immobiliser, I suspect is is activated. Can I tell from the model number? Tried a general MLR and google search and nothing tells me this that I can find.

I bought The ECU last week as a used unit. Board looks fine. Does it need to be in an original ECU case to run OK? I'm just running the board with some shielding at the moment as waiting for the case to arrive.
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 14:30   #12
rjwkerkhof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
My Car
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
I don't know about the immobiliser, I suspect is is activated. Can I tell from the model number? Tried a general MLR and google search and nothing tells me this that I can find.

I bought The ECU last week as a used unit. Board looks fine. Does it need to be in an original ECU case to run OK? I'm just running the board with some shielding at the moment as waiting for the case to arrive.
Hi Dabsy,

The Immobilizer is a code inside the ROM file which should match, I remember when fitting the E7 ecu to my E6 I had to switch it of by changing the code to FFFF in the ROM and then reflash the ecu before it would work

Cheers,

Roy
rjwkerkhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 16:19   #13
4g638
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
My Car
Posts: 5,942
The evo 7 ecu is on a stock rom using a maf. It will start without one but it will not stay running, it will shut down after a few seconds. The reason it does not start it is because it gets no fuel due to the way the pumps are wired in to suit the AEM canbus. Also if everything else was ok, the engine would run although rough, without an O2 sensor, so do not worry about the O2 sensor for the time being.


From what I know, the 4,5,6 do not have an immobilizer, and your evo 7 rs does have one. Its a small black box on the steering column. I was not sure which side and at what height on the column was the evo 7 immobilizer module in comparison to the evo 8/9, so I did search bit online, but I did not find anything, so it should be in the same location as the evo 8/9 which is under the switch barrel. This gets a signal from the key fob at a specific frequency, converts it and then sends it to the ecu, if the value in the ecu matches the signal, the ecu grounds the ignition barrel relay which in turn powers up the starter and the car starts. Since your car cranks, the starter spins which shows you that the evo 4 has no immobilizer and the switch barrel and starter power up directly from battery.


Since your pumps work with the AEM ecu but you have no coil driver signal, that means the ecu's coil drivers have been damaged. If you were on AEM2 I would tell you which pins to switch to, as the ver2 has extra coil drivers.



You need to remove the secondary bosch pump, and then rewire the in-tank pump straight to the battery and to the oem signal if it is not wired in that. If you do this correctly , the car should start and shut down after a few seconds, you might to constantly open the throttle in order for this to do so, but if you manage to start it, then all you need to do is get a tactrix cable, switch the ecu over to your 7rs, (unless it is a 4 plug ecu vs a 3 plug one on the 7rs) download a tephra evo jdm 7rom on speed density, load it to the ecu, and then plug that ecu back to the evo 4 harness and go from there. If it is a 4 vs 3 plug ecus, you'll need to sort the evo 4 obd2 plug out.










Marios
__________________
" Go tell the Spartans,passerby,that here by Spartan law we lie. " Leonidas I son of Anaxandritas II and king of Sparta,really proud to be his descendant!

Last edited by 4g638; 23-11-2020 at 16:44.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 16:27   #14
grants
Senior User
 
grants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
My Car
Posts: 9,569
Early AEM ECU had serial comms only. Ask GEMS who made them !!!

G
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 19:03   #15
Dabsy
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Derby
Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
The evo 7 ecu is on a stock rom using a maf. It will start without one but it will not stay running, it will shut down after a few seconds. The reason it does not start it is because it gets no fuel due to the way the pumps are wired in to suit the AEM canbus. Also if everything else was ok, the engine would run although rough, without an O2 sensor, so do not worry about the O2 sensor for the time being.


From what I know, the 4,5,6 do not have an immobilizer, and your evo 7 rs does have one. Its a small black box on the steering column. I was not sure which side and at what height on the column was the evo 7 immobilizer module in comparison to the evo 8/9, so I did search bit online, but I did not find anything, so it should be in the same location as the evo 8/9 which is under the switch barrel. This gets a signal from the key fob at a specific frequency, converts it and then sends it to the ecu, if the value in the ecu matches the signal, the ecu grounds the ignition barrel relay which in turn powers up the starter and the car starts. Since your car cranks, the starter spins which shows you that the evo 4 has no immobilizer and the switch barrel and starter power up directly from battery.


Since your pumps work with the AEM ecu but you have no coil driver signal, that means the ecu's coil drivers have been damaged. If you were on AEM2 I would tell you which pins to switch to, as the ver2 has extra coil drivers.



You need to remove the secondary bosch pump, and then rewire the in-tank pump straight to the battery and to the oem signal if it is not wired in that. If you do this correctly , the car should start and shut down after a few seconds, you might to constantly open the throttle in order for this to do so, but if you manage to start it, then all you need to do is get a tactrix cable, switch the ecu over to your 7rs, (unless it is a 4 plug ecu vs a 3 plug one on the 7rs) download a tephra evo jdm 7rom on speed density, load it to the ecu, and then plug that ecu back to the evo 4 harness and go from there. If it is a 4 vs 3 plug ecus, you'll need to sort the evo 4 obd2 plug out.

Marios
Thanks Marios. My Evo 7RS hasn't been touched in this attempt to get the Evo 4 started. I was only going to try that ECU if an immobiliser was not fitted. I don't know about the 3 plug ECU, I assumed it was 4 plug. I will check tonight.

However, the used E7 ecu I have may well have the immobiliser enabled and I thought that was my problem. Now you have confirmed that the immobiliser isolates the starter then I am good to go. As you suggest I will try and divert the power from the external fuel pump to the in tank alone and see if I can get it started.

The other reason I ask about immobiliser is that the E7 ecu still does not send a coil signal to the drivers. With the AEM series one fitted and cranking the ignition turns the engine on the starter and fuel delivers fuel but no spark. Laptop log of AEM shows both crank and cam signal. So with no coil signal from either ECU would this suggest damaged or incorrect crank sensor 5v signal?

PS to add, previous owner who I bought it from said that the Evo 4 stopped one coil pack first and then the second broke down afterwards, does this give any clue?

Cheers, Dave.
Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 17:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.