ABS systems on Evos - 2 or 4 channel? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Brakes

Old 06-09-2020, 17:51   #1
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
ABS systems on Evos - 2 or 4 channel?

Is my understanding correct that earlier Evos with abs were 2-channel and with a diagonal rather than front to rear split? But from the Evo 7 onwards it's 4 channel "Sport ABS"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 09:03   #2
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Doesn't anyone know about abs on Evos?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:41   #3
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Evo 9 ABS has diagonal split, as in twin piston master cylinder with diagonally connected calipers.. I doubt any have front-rear split as it is not really legal.
Later cars have "sports ABS" that incorporates electronic brake force distribution and individual control of each wheel brake pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (08-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 12:18   #4
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
Evo 9 ABS has diagonal split, as in twin piston master cylinder with diagonally connected calipers.. I doubt any have front-rear split as it is not really legal.
Later cars have "sports ABS" that incorporates electronic brake force distribution and individual control of each wheel brake pressure.
So are we saying that the two channel, diagonal split abs system carried on right through until the Evo 10? Or, above, did you mean to type "Evo 6" rather than "Evo 9".
Old 08-09-2020, 19:20   #5
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
So are we saying that the two channel, diagonal split abs system carried on right through until the Evo 10? Or, above, did you mean to type "Evo 6" rather than "Evo 9".
no, late evos, like 8 and 9, have a 4 chanel system, but hydraulic lines are separated into two separate circuits that feed opposite wheels... i.e. one circuit is front left nad rear right, and vice versa.. that way if you have a brake line failure, you still have two wheels braking, one on the front adn one on the rear.. i.e. diagonal system...

kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 19:43   #6
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
no, late evos, like 8 and 9, have a 4 chanel system, but hydraulic lines are separated into two separate circuits that feed opposite wheels... i.e. one circuit is front left nad rear right, and vice versa.. that way if you have a brake line failure, you still have two wheels braking, one on the front adn one on the rear.. i.e. diagonal system...
So 8 and 9 are 4 channel?

I get the diagonal bit in terms of building in redundancy in case one part of the MC or an individual caliper piston seal or union fluid leak occurs, but what purpose does diagonal abs serve? Oh, my left rear is about to lock up so I'll take away braking to the right front too?
Old 10-09-2020, 15:03   #7
Unobtainium

My Car
Quote:
So 8 and 9 are 4 channel?

I get the diagonal bit in terms of building in redundancy in case one part of the MC or an individual caliper piston seal or union fluid leak occurs, but what purpose does diagonal abs serve? Oh, my left rear is about to lock up so I'll take away braking to the right front too?
Stability?
Old 10-09-2020, 17:31   #8
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
Stability?
How would it provide stability?
Old 14-09-2020, 14:39   #9
Unobtainium

My Car
Quote:
How would it provide stability?
By the abs diagonally activating so the car doesnt start to rotate?
Old 14-09-2020, 20:07   #10
spn
Senior User

Car: EVO 6
My Car
Can't say for sure but the systems on the 4/5/6 have individual wheel sensors and solenoids. The Spec in the TIM details 4ABS suggesting that it's 4 channel. The fact that it has a lateral G sensor would also suggest that it's 4 channel as it would be difficult to keep the car in line with only 3 channels.
spn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 07:09   #11
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
By the abs diagonally activating so the car doesnt start to rotate?
Why would it rotate? The whole idea of abs is to stop a wheel or wheels locking up and thereby continue to provide at least some grip.

Having diagonally split brake circuits to cater for a partial brake failure is what's intended to provide stability.
Old 15-09-2020, 07:11   #12
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
Can't say for sure but the systems on the 4/5/6 have individual wheel sensors and solenoids. The Spec in the TIM details 4ABS suggesting that it's 4 channel. The fact that it has a lateral G sensor would also suggest that it's 4 channel as it would be difficult to keep the car in line with only 3 channels.
All models have 4 wheel speed sensors, but I believe the suggestion is that the abs unit itself in cars from 4-9 is only 2 channel.

Last edited by plip1953; 15-09-2020 at 11:13..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 20:44   #13
spn
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
All models have 4 wheel speed sensors, but I believe the suggestion is that the abs unit itself in cars from 4-9 is only 2 channel.
The key points of my post were the 4 solenoid valves and lateral G sensor. Can't see the point if it's only got two channels. You can't control lateral G with only two channels.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:07   #14
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
The key points of my post were the 4 solenoid valves and lateral G sensor. Can't see the point if it's only got two channels. You can't control lateral G with only two channels.
I tend to agree on the 2 channels issue, but it seems that 1 channel, 2 channel, 3 channel as well as 4 channel abs systems all exist.

Are you sure re the lateral G sensor? Or do you mean yaw sensor?
Old 16-09-2020, 21:34   #15
spn
Senior User

My Car
Quote:

Are you sure re the lateral G sensor? Or do you mean yaw sensor?
That's what is says in the TIM.

I found the ABS on my 6 GSR very good on the limit of grip, intervening fairly gently, far better behaved than similar era Subaru and Audi systems according to fellow competitors. No issue over bumps, which would again suggest 4 channels.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: