evo 6 and wavetrac - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 03-06-2011, 00:32   #1
jbgti

evo 6 and wavetrac

Am from Australia and don't get wavetrac's here so would have to import one. Before I do I am wondering if anyone knows if a wavetrac front diff fit into my evo 6 GSR.

Thanks in advance
jbgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05   #2
Co-ordsport

Car: Tommi
I have one fitted in my TME.

Both the casing and the diff needed machining to get it to fit and you need to use the output shafts from an Evo 7-9. I've only used mine on the road so far, was supposed to go on track last weekend but having a tyre crisis.

Tel: +44 (0)121 661 62 63

Co-ordsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 15:47   #3
madmatt
Senior User

Bump, I found this: https://www.tdi-plc.com/product/wave...ial-evo-4-5-6/

Does that mean it could go straight in an Evo 6 (tme) without modifications?
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 18:36   #4
alpinaturbo
Senior User

No.
I am pretty sure that the crown -wheel needs drilling out for larger bolts.
That is all.

No need for 7/9 shafts etc...my TME has Wavetrac since..who knows..2010? And Shep installed it advising he needed to upgrade the bolt size...am pretty sure.

But nothing major needs doing, and that is important!
Also, 7/9 outer CVs are different spline to E5/6, so ...no need to mess with that.
alpinaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:24   #5
madmatt
Senior User

Yep, got the answer this morning from TDI, they are discontinued, but I would think they were never for the CP9A models, as I haven't seen them anywhere else but this website.

However, I would really like to know what are the mods needed to fit a Wavetrac into the Evo 6 tme because from what I read some say casing needs to be machined, as well as crown wheel, some say there is a need for 7-9 driveshafts etc.

Due to the 6 TME crown wheel and casing being a bit bigger than std Evo 6, it could be this helps fitting the wavetrac, but I don't know where the issue is initially so hard to say. I could just bite the bullet and order one, but I don't really want to start machining the casing on my std mak. Machining the diff assembly or crown wheel is fine, but not the casing.

Last edited by madmatt; 08-08-2019 at 07:26..
Old 08-08-2019, 10:16   #6
Andrew B
Senior User

Car: IX MR360
My Car
TRE offer this conversion regularly do it ( requires machining etc) they are in the US, best drop them an email

Last edited by Andrew B; 08-08-2019 at 23:37..
Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:32   #7
madmatt
Senior User

Pardon my ignorance, but who is TRE?
Old 08-08-2019, 17:45   #8
alpinaturbo
Senior User

TRE is JON, check online in USA.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.a.tre.1

Look, Wavetrac fits into TME, as I had one since maybe 2010..so no need to doubt it fits.
They did not machine the case..I would know..>$$$.

You have Clive Walpole, and you don't need anybody else in UK - as he is the best there is, far and wide.

Contact directly Wavetrac, i.e. Autotech.
http://www.autotechdriveline.com/

They must have had experience through dealers.
Shep did mine: you can call and ask to speak to John Shepard, to talk Wavetrac into Evo 6. John will know, others may not know!!
http://sheptrans.com/

But please, contact CliveW and entrust him the installation. It will be perfect and you'll be sorted.

IMPORTANT: when buying Wavetrac- please buy direct from Wavetrac and ask for upgraded Friction Material!!! This is key to get best traction capability.
Standard friction material is not as "sticky" for lack of better word.

Wavetrac works like Quaife, Torsen, etc, torque biasing - but it also uses friction materials like traditional plated LSD. So it works in "Zero Traction" (lifted wheel?) situations like plated. This friction material can be of 2 "compounds", standard is mild, and optional at ZERO COST is grippy. Choose Grippy, it will be much more what you want.

http://www.wavetrac.net/

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2019, 22:38   #9
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Crownwheel drilling out for larger bolts? Where do you guys get your info from, the internet?? So much mis-information from people who just read stuff but don't have actual experience.

The difference between E4/5/6 and genuine TME is the TME uses the E7 front diff, which is bigger and stronger then the E4/5/6 item. The bell where the crownwheel fits over and the diff fits inside is 2mm larger on the TME, to allow fitment of the larger E7 front diff. This also means the crownwheel inside diameter is also 2mm larger. Unless you're fitting a new crownwheel, no mods need to be carried out to fit an E7 LSD.

Quaife nor Wavetrac have made a front diff for the E4/5/6/7/TME, and they're not going to start now, as the cars are getting older and so their market for this car is getting smaller.

The Wavetrac uses the same internal design as the Quaife and the standard Mitsubishi helical LSD, the difference being it uses carbon friction pads to improve internal torque bias, and a ramp system that artificially creates friction when one wheel has a no load situation. A pure helical diff works like an open diff if one wheel has zero grip.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 08-08-2019 at 22:45..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
alpinaturbo (08-08-2019), Evo Ali (25-09-2019), strange_days_uk (09-08-2019), Uzumaki (09-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 22:50   #10
alpinaturbo
Senior User

Clive,

I recall (it’s been almost a decade, so am not confident in accuracy) the John Shep had to drill out bolt holes on my TME - assy —> to fit E8/9 Wavetrac.

You will know, if any modification is required, maybe you can let us know?
Old 09-08-2019, 13:02   #11
madmatt
Senior User

Interesting info here, thanks! Didn't know they used different friction material!

I will try to find out what's needed in order to fit the Evo 8/9 wavetrac into an Evo 6 tme!
Old 09-08-2019, 17:13   #12
alpinaturbo
Senior User

Madmatt,

Unless you will fit it yourself, you don't need to find out what it takes to fit Wavetrac into TME: Clive knows.

When I sent my TME box to Shep, it was a process of discovery, but it had virtually no effect on me, nor cost wise nor time wise, nor was it special trouble for Shep.

So no need to complicate, treat it like any other "outsourced" service, let professional sort it, and enjoy the result.
Old 09-08-2019, 18:07   #13
madmatt
Senior User

Yes I see your point, but 2 things:

1) I don't like in the UK and sending back and forth heavy stuff like a diff or a transfer box across Europe is gonna cost me a fortune.

2) I am a mechanic and I machine stuff at work so machining things is not a problem.

In the end I will probably order it and see what's needed to fit it, since there is not much involved it seems. What I wanted to avoid was to machine "hard to get" parts such as a TME casing.

Will do this in winter time and report here what's involved for those wondering as well!
Old 12-08-2019, 14:48   #14
madmatt
Senior User

Sooo I've got an answer, basically there is not enough room to machine and fit the Wavetrac.
Old 12-08-2019, 17:39   #15
alpinaturbo
Senior User

And My TME has Wavetrac...sooo your information is inaccurate, and?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: