Help wanted,front diff failure? - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 17-12-2001, 15:03   #31
Heave Ho Six

Re:Help wanted,front diff failure?

The centre viscous coupling is done away with and is replaced with clutches (much like the AYC clutches do away with the LSD on the rear).
The clutches operate electronically allowing anything from a fully open diff to a fully locked diff. Another trick bit of kit, especially the hand brake lever switching it to open diff when its used
Download this file on the Evo 7, there is a bit on the ACD (including a very small cut away and a diagrammatic cross section).
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo7.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2001, 15:52   #32
Heave Ho Six

By the way I forgot to mention a mistake I made about the replacement bolts for the diff.
They should be of grade 12.9 and not 10.9 (probably won't make too much difference), sorry for any confusion but I misquoted it from my source.
Old 17-12-2001, 19:14   #33
RichiWW

WOW! ....special track days too huh??

Cars booked in Friday for the work doing, no problem with the warranty claim, was a little worried in case for some reason they turned around and said no claim allowed due to ..blah,blah,blah but pleased to report it aint the case!

Rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-12-2001, 10:19   #34
oli goon

hh6, thanks again oh egg headed one.
Old 21-12-2001, 19:14   #35
RichiWW

O.K.

Just got the car back from the dealers.Unfortunately when they stripped the diff to replace the bolts, they found that the bolts were actually o.k., and are now stuck on what the problem is

They like myself they were pretty sure it was the bolts that had gone (remember they also had the car for a day last week to asess the problem before ordering the parts).Seen as its Christmas, they couldnt get hold of CCC or anyone else to advise them, and as such i have been to once again that i can still use the car but not to its full potential, and not for any long distance work(New Year in Holland has now had to be cancelled)

Any more ideas on what the fault could be? i`m presuming that they`ve checked all the CV joints etc. though i spose they could have missed something.

Rich.
Old 05-01-2002, 17:16   #36
RichiWW

Due to ring the dealership on Tuesday, hopefully they will have spoken to CCC and have a better answer to what the problem is.Worrying thing is, when i got the car back off them, the knocking was still there when turning right.Over the next few days the noise then lessened, but it started to knock when turning left, which ment it was knocking in both directions!(this time the sound seems to be coming from the rear diff).Over the last few days the knocking has become less and less! wierd huh?

Now the Service Manager said that the bolts in the front diff were reasonably tight , so i`m guessing that they were torqued back down when they rebuilt the diff, so how come the knocking becoming less and less obtrusive?? Gonna ring him first thing Monday morning and advise him of this fact before he gets a chance to speak to CCC.

Rich.(with fingers crossed)
Old 05-01-2002, 22:29   #37
Heave Ho Six

Obviously it is very difficult to judge remotely. The only way I knew for sure mine was the diff before taking it in was because I could feel the 'clunk' on the front driveshaft when grabbing hold of it and rocking the car back and forth. That is all I can suggest to you, find an area and drive the car up and down on full lock until it just makes the noise then stop the car switch off and rock the car back and forth so the 'clunk' is repeatable. Get underneath the car and start grabbing suspension components, steering components and the driveshafts and by rocking the car you should be able feel where the 'clunk' is coming from or at least where it is worse.

Does it make the clunking noise ALL the time on full or partical lock? Does it make the noise in a straight line over rough ground (i.e. with the suspension working)?

I suggest you ask exactly what they did to the diff. Did they completely remove the bolts and check them? Did they find them loose and just torque them up again? If they didn't completely remove the bolts then they wouldn't be able to check if they were partially broken off
or not.

Someone did mention when I had my problem that they experienced a similar thing where the dealer had no idea what it was. They replaced a load of components (including driveshafts and steering rack!) and it turned out to be the front strut top mount. I am not saying that is what your problem is because if you also think it's coming from the rear then it won't be that but I would say 'clunks' often turn out to be suspension problems.
Old 06-01-2002, 19:14   #38
RichiW

You may have a point with the clunking in a straight line while the suspension is working, it does clunk, though i put that down to the fact that the Evo`s suspension does clunk and knock about under normal circumstances (or so i`ve read). The knocking is getting harder to hear though, but when i pulled off the motorway tonight, after travelling for over an hour nonstop, as soon as i turned into the petrol station it knocked like it always used to, which led me to think, is that due to the fact that the diff oil had become very warm, and become thinner somehow causing the knock to amplify??

Dunno

I`ll give the rocking of the car a go this week when me and Six Mad get together, see if we carnt figure it out

Rich(with modified username )
Old 15-07-2002, 22:44   #39
dutchEVO6

diff failure

Hi,
Here an update on the front diff problem.Again after 20000 km the front diff was knocking .
I took all apart and two bolts were broken and two were loose.
I was told the 12.9 grade is not available for the countersunk head bolts.problem is that the bolts go loose ,not the grade of the bolts.10.9 is good enough.
Main thing is to use something that will prevent the bolts from coming loose.I had the loctite fastener on the bolts the last time ,but that is not good enough.
The EVO garage here now uses stuff called quick metal from Loctite to fill up the thread and thus preventing the bolts to come loose.They say they have no problems now anymore ,and their cars are beiing used for rallysport so heavely used.
Hope this helps
Bye chris
dutchEVO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2002, 22:56   #40
Heave Ho Six

Chris,
I also heard that some rally prep companies tack weld the bolt heads in place with obviously the same result. You must be getting good at fixing it now
Heave Ho Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2002, 22:48   #41
dutchEVO6

diff

HH6,
Yes I am starting to be an expert in it.Must say it is a very nice job to do ,i like this sort of work.
The EVO is a nice car to work on ,though I like it even better if nothing goes wrong.
Yes , I know the tackweld trick too ,but I don't like it to weld on such parts as the diff ,the heat that you bring into it will change the material I think.And they say this works well too so i wil give it a try.
Lets hope the car stays faultless and i can spend some money on mods instead of repairs.
I am waiting on some news on the Ecutek tuning for the EVO.
The Impreza guys I speak who have it seem to be very pleased with it.
Have you heard anything about it?
Bye chris
PS side repeaters OK?
Old 16-07-2002, 23:28   #42
Heave Ho Six

I've not heard of Ecutek so sorry can't help there , perhaps others have though.

Repeaters are fine, still sitting in their box I'm afraid , I will fit them though...one day!
Heave Ho Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2002, 12:07   #43
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
I believe (but not certain) that David Power of Power Engineering has left the company and set up a new business called Ecutek, so will be similar to a PE remap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2002, 15:04   #44
scoobymike

This ECUTEK thing is run by Stephen Done who can remap Scooby ECU (only MY 99-00, soon the new STIs). My mate will be the Swiss importer for that (he desperately tries to match my EVO ). When they covered the Scoob world they will develop a datalogger for the EVO ECU but currently there are no plans to give a remapping software to customers. Most of the mapping is done at PE with Mervin.
Problem is the EVO ECU is not mappable like the Scoob one so you first need a PE chip to be able to remap it.

Cheers

Mike
scoobymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2002, 22:46   #45
dutchEVO6

diff

So the way to go is to take a PE remapped ECU and wait for the delta dash to come.
I was thinking about a Ralliart ECU but when I heard from ecutek and the possibilities to monitor all whats goiing on in the engine without having to put gauges in the car I liked it right away.I am not after big gains ,but an extra 30hp will do fine for me.
Is the PE ecu beiing considered as equal to the ralliart ecu or is the RA better?
Mike, You were expected a few weeks back near Zurich at the slalomrace.Me ,Richi,Mio,(ecutek) Richard were there ,so I would have liked to see the beast( I mean the car ) in real and have some small(evo ) talk.But you did not show up!
Bye chris
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: