Lancer Register Forum banner

Conrod Weights - Information Thread

95K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  Co-ordsport 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it may be a good idea to collate all the weights of the conrods that are available today in one thread. This will help people make an informed choice comparing one against the other when its comes to there build parts. I did a little search and have obtained various weights from the threads I discovered, some weights maybe incorrect so feel free to correct them.

The table attached is based below on the 3 most popular lengths that people use on Evo engines.

Feel Free to add your information but please.... facts only, no guessing ;)

Lets keep the thread CLEAN, no discussion on benefits / downfalls etc just rod weights :D

Data replaced with PDF ;)

Conrad :D

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Pics of an even lighter weight 162mm rod R&R are making for us.
This is the GENUINE weight of this 162mm rod with ARP625 bolts. Pretty cool I think :)

It is an even lighter weight version we are testing. See second pic for where the material has been removed ;)

As a side note; weight above the the parting line is really where you need to be looking :)

The (stock) 150mm version of this rod will be around 530grams & at least 800bhp capable.

#39 ·
Nice looking rods Ross :smthumbup

Id like to see a little more smoothing around where the extra material has been removed.

What specs do your suppliers work to:

Big/Small end Ø & bore taper + surface finish
Rod length
Big/small end paralellism/distortion
Front/rear face paralellism

There is a lot to making a good conrod. Removing rotating weight is always a good thing but there is a limit with the most stressed part of the engine. There is lots of rotating mass to be removed from the rest of the engine and transmission.

#12 · (Edited)
Ti is being used in many motorsport applications already. Alot more thought is needed due to the way different matearials disapate heat and react under load. For instance the rod bolt used with a ti rod is important. Without a doubt ti rods are going to be making their way into u.k builds soon.

The cost when using the properly r&d'd and engineered components sort of makes it not so appealing for your average enthusiast who likes paying 600-900 for rods.
Kind regards,
Gum

#45 ·
Using Gav's data which I believe is accurate the:

Manley Turbo Tuff I beam 150mm weighs 674g and I believe 1000hp+ set of rods (across 4 cylinders).

The Carrillo PRO-H-BEAM from your list is showing 566g but no mention of rod bolt used, so for example lets say it is inc CARR bolts which makes these rods 1000hp+ like the Manleys Turbo Tuff's.

Now with both the power rating and weight of these two rods I can know if they actually are suibtable for my application. If I wanted scope for 1000hp+ in the future and looked at these two rods stats it would leave me the following questions:

1) Whats the price difference?
2) Is the reduced rotational weight worth the extra expenses of the Carrillo rod?
3) Where are the items manufactured and what quality control procedurers are used to ensure a 100% healthy product.

My choice would be CARRILLO but others may think differently... point is with power rating added to this thread it becomes very useful rather than just a sticky for weights which is no use to the average Joe.

And we all know rod manufacturers give power ratings with there rods or they shouldnt be making them:eek:

Kind regards,
GUM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.