Lancer Register Forum banner

Non use in winter driving me mad !!

4K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  RSgeoff 
#1 ·
This is the first year I've had an Evo and decided not to use it through the winter.

I've always ran evo's through the winter but unfortunately this car is just too nice to use - the problem is I like to get out in them every Sat & Sunday where possible.
It's driving me mad already :wallbang::wallbang:

Not sure how long I can put up with this - i'm in a massive dilemma / been looking at possible alternatives this week :cry::cry:

Dunno how many of you do it?

#2 ·
My winter use had slowed in previous years, but next Thursday it’s going for a good underside clean up and protect. So it will be getting some use after that

Reactions: RSgeoff and will2
#7 ·
Will do :smthumbup

#9 ·
Not sure if it’s the same your way Geoff, but the gritters are on a right mission round here. Tiniest talk of a frost and they are out. The stuff is everywhere :wallbang:

#13 ·
That’s the damn problem with the pesky evos, they do that :lol:

Reactions: RSgeoff
#14 ·
I used to keep my Evo 7 taxed all year round and if the gritters had been out, I would wait til we'd had substantial rain fall to wash the excess salt away and would then take it out but only if the roads had totally dried after the rain.

The car still looked like new underneath when I sold it, I think the rot will only set in on daily drivers really that go out rain, shine, sleet or snow. But that's just my opinion :smthumbup

One life people, enjoy it :smthumbup

#19 ·
I used to keep my Evo 7 taxed all year round and if the gritters had been out, I would wait til we'd had substantial rain fall to wash the excess salt away and would then take it out but only if the roads had totally dried after the rain.

The car still looked like new underneath when I sold it, I think the rot will only set in on daily drivers really that go out rain, shine, sleet or snow. But that's just my opinion :smthumbup

One life people, enjoy it :smthumbup
Yeah I did that with my II GSR but got caught out one day passing gritters :wallbang:

Go do a trackday, no salt there
Still gotta get there and I prefer B road blasts to trackdays which I find boring after 10 laps. ;)

#23 ·
geoff you be mad to sell that one mate i drive mine in all weathers i just jet wash the underside as much as i can i had it in for the mot the other week and the lad who did it said its still the cleanest car that he has seen come in for a mot he even taken a pic of the underside from the pitt in his garage lol. Enjoy it mate :smthumbup

#24 ·
Just use it. Then when it dissolves just buy a new one.

In all seriousness, it all comes down to your sensibilities. If you want to keep it rot free underneath then common sense will tell you not to drive it on gritted roads. But we live in a wet, cold country so if driving it during the warmer seasons only is killing you that much, sell up and buy something that won't turn into raw tetanus if you drive it all year round, or just enjoy it that little bit more when you do get to drive it :)

#25 ·
Buy something else cheap or more durable to have fun in and leave it tucked up :)

Ive just sold my GT86 after putting it all back to standard and bought my 3rd Bmw 130i for having fun in, also recently bought a mint in from japan Celica GT4 RC a few months ago as a project/investment, like you i dont want to take it out the garage now salt is getting spread as its pretty much still like new underneath despite being 26years old!... my winter project is a full underside strip and protect to make it totally mint! although i did sneak it out for a few miles at weekend after the heavy rain washed all salt away, was keeping a close eye out for gritter mind! :)

#26 ·
I ended up using the Legnum through the winter and the Evo through the summer. The Legnum is now starting to rot after 7 years of winter use (and not a huge amount of miles) and the Evo survived pretty well with 7 years of summer use, although it's not a road car anymore.

I won't use the Wagon from October to April for the reason that the salt just kills them, no matter how well you rustproof it the rust will still come if there's salt involved. It's not just the body, bolts rust up quickly and unless you take the car apart and grease all the threads they're going to rust. Up here the councils go to town with the salt at the first sniff of low temps :wallbang:

Geoff, I'd buy a winter hack and just use it. Keep your Evo looking good for as long as you can. Evos are getting rarer and good ones ever rarer.

#29 ·
This is the first year I've had an Evo and decided not to use it through the winter.

I've always ran evo's through the winter but unfortunately this car is just too nice to use
I know how you feel.
I bought mine in 2009 and it has never seen rani not to mention snow.
It's just to nice for that ****ty weather IMO.
I'd rather buy another Evo for just this cause...

Reactions: M3 ROB
#31 ·
But I also understand other peoples opinion to drive it on the snow and gravel because it's just made for that.
But, I other sides chose not to do it. -and I expect other people to respect my decision.

Reactions: will2
#32 ·
The evo is garaged through the winter as usual. I am sick fed up with polishing cleaning servicing spending money to see her sat in the garage most of the time, garage queen understatement of all time. Why? I don’t own the car it owns me. The thing is it gets worse, no winter use, no wet use, no possible risk of shower use, it might rain in 3 weeks time so better keep her in the garage, why, for whom am I saving the car? As will2 says tomorrow I could be meeting the man at the top. I am caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, Keep her mint and maybe retain a good value or use her and watch her rot and depreciate. I have never done this with any other cars just used them and enjoyed them. I know this evo was always the car I wanted and love her to bits maybe that’s the problem. So what is the point? Keep or get rid I think all the time until I open the garage door and there she sits, what a car, my super car slayer. Kris.

#34 ·
Mine was being used weekly just to give her a good run, and then a wash and wax.

I've sourced a garage for storage though so the car will be going away now until March, trickle charger ordered and possibly an indoor cover.

#35 ·
I use mine everyday, work/school run/football with the kids at the weekend, I had a absolutely mint R33 Gtr in red before my 8 MR and I didnt use it, I regret not using it, it just sat in the garage under a cover, so I sold it, I won't treat a car like that again, they should be used, keep on top of the underneath and it will be right. Mines done 217000 and it's not rotten

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.