Lancer Register Forum banner

Sprinting Ideas...

47K views 127 replies 54 participants last post by  Shakey_Jake188 
#1 ·
It was a sad day at Cadwell when Darin announced MLR sprinting was cancelled for the for forseeable future...
The series has been such a great asset to the club and I'm sure everybody involved personally has enjoyed it, so I'm just struggling to understand what is wrong with the series?
As a company we have sponsored for many years and I thoroughly enjoyed being involved.
Some people think it's because the value of our cars is increasing so don't want to risk damaging them and others argue it's because the series became so competitive & expensive to be competitive.
Unfortunately it's always going to be a little bit like that with any non-one make series but the fun factor was always there regardless so I'd like to throw out for discussion what was really wrong with the series or if there is any way of resurrecting it for the future.
Just trying to understand if it's really dead because nobody is interested or if there is some way of taking things forward?
What does everyone really want from it other than a cracking day out testing yourself and your car against your pals.

#44 ·
For me this series was spot on in 2016 and should have remained the same for 2017.

I love sprinting and I love doing it on proper race circuits.

Since the beginning of this year, as it started so late and were so few rounds, I have been forced to partake in msa run events. These are on a par with the mlr for me.

I just want to race my car, in a controlled environment. Trackdays are not racing and stress the car so much more than sprints. I still do 1 or 2 a year just for seat time.

Launches do not break transmissions if you do them with a little care, you will never win off the line.

Combe was a good event, if there were more events to choose from and it was opened up to all vehicles then it would survive. I think the one make thing is the problem, very few evos are owned by people who want to use them these days, I rarely see evos at sprints or trackdays. I see many other cars though...

#45 ·
I do agree opening up to all makes could really boost the series!!

How to do the regs I'd have no idea, maybe read the javelin regs

Reactions: octainejunkee
#46 · (Edited)
People have asked for reasons/opinions why they dont do sprints...they give the reasons then get shot down:confused:...there is no argument,its the reasons why!!..thats it!

Its all about time in the car for me.....to travel to somewhere like croft/cadwell etc (3 hours from me) for about 12 minutes in the car (12 runs) just isnt appealing..sorry.

To be fair,cadwell seems like the best value,as the sprint seems longer than the others...apposed to the oulton skid pan which is a joke IMO

I think i would have been competitive...done 60+ trackdays in my car...against a few evo's. But on track tend to mess around and drift everywhere.:lol:

Ive just spent £129 on anglesey and £149 on blyton trackdays....for about 180 miles in the car.....ok,trackdays can get a bit boring,but if a few mates with cars go then its a good laugh,lap after lap.

To me the classes...(cage,interior,tyres,etc etc etc) got a bit OTT..then there was claims of cheating etc.

#59 ·
People have asked for reasons/opinions why they dont do sprints...they give the reasons then get shot down:confused:...there is no argument,its the reasons why!!..thats it!
Makes me wonder why i bother giving a reason in the first place..... just be shot down as making excuses.

Not all of us can afford to take a Friday off work to travel to an event, 2-3 tanks of fuel just travelling, cost of a hotel/meal, and having to give up a whole weekend just to do a few times laps.

Many of you can, and good luck to you...... but us 'regular' people have to things on a lower budget, both financially and in time.

Apologies for the 'excuse'

#47 ·
Question for darin

Are the mlr track days as busy as prints? Fully booked?

What % of cars on track are evo's?

That clearly answers the question of are people using evo's in anger on track.

So if there being used in anger then its the rules, classes and format that needs reviewing?

#48 ·
Shoot me down and tell me to stick to polishing the Evo having never done a track day or sprint event, but arn't they two different beasts.
Having been to many track days and sprint events as a spectator and supporting the club they shouldn't be seen as the same sort of event. if you want seat time and run 50 odd laps then do a track day. If you want something competitive then do a sprint or hill climb.
Opening up the event to anything with four wheels seems to be a good way forward.
Keep it simple. After one timed lap just group the top 10 cars together regardless of power, tuning, mods, tyres, turbos etc.
Cars 11-20 group together, cars 21-30 group together and cars 31-40 group together etc. At least this way you will know what group your in and who your competing against.
Just my thoughts, but tell me to do one and shut up if I'm talking crap.:smthumbup

#49 ·
I didn't do any of the sprints down south as most were a minimum 8 hour drive each way, 4-5 tanks of fuel and a day off work. They also clashed with some of my Scottish championship hillclimb rounds. I did 4 Scottish MLRSS events when they didn't clash with the hillclimbs but due to lack of entries in Scotland Darin stopped taking the series up here :cry:

Essentially, limited funds and time were my reason. Kenny thinks i'm scared to venture south though :lol:

#50 · (Edited)
And proof of the above being BS is you went to Prescott and Loton.. You also took your car to ND.. You aren't scared of distance that's for sure.. You were just scared of getting beaten on a track where your supercharger wasn't as much of an advantage. Best stick to those tight tracks aye.. You wouldn't want to take that thing over 110mph. :mhihi:

Btw, how many more years till we see your car on track again now you've run out of traders?

I noticed your Doune time in 2014 is your PB and that's only a tenth quicker than your 2010 time. Crazy to think all the work you've done in 7 years hasn't really made you any faster.. Did you even have the SC on in 2010?

#52 ·
Yeah, it's all because of the banter that was banned in 2013...oh wait, that's when it actually died! Funny that.

You wouldn't understand as you've never even looked at doing a sprint in the MLRSS. Funny how all the non sprinters pipe up on these threads yet never actually turn up. The MLRSS was at its peak before you even joined the forum. That's when the bitching was immense. You should have seen peeler vs marcmek and jon@evobreakers....and northy...now that was funny.

You see, the banter and bitching bred competition and we all had a laugh about it and shook hands when we met. It's how the internet is and how it always will be due to it being so impersonal.

If bitching brought down the MLRSS then why is Javelin packed out? You should see the bitching on there. It's time you non sprinting delicate people got over it. We've heard all this before but when the banter died, so did the MLRSS. Man up.

#58 ·
Funny how all the non sprinters pipe up on these threads yet never actually turn up.
This comment right here is half the problem. Like most things if that's gym memberships, sprinting or food restaurants you need new members. As well as advertising, from the outside its always looked too 'clicky' too much 'school playground behaviour' etc.

Another thing, as Phil mentioned. Few friends, couple of cars on a track day while it's not on a competitive stage it seems a bit more 'fun' and relaxed. I quote 'fun' as isn't that what these things are meant to be...

I do truely hope something can be designed to make the sprints continue. It's a huge asset to the club in general. :mitsi:

#56 ·
It would seem that MLR sprints is somewhat like modern schools ... where everybody wants a prize :lol:... plus the nonsensical back biting
I have done MSA since 2004 ... everybody goes in the same class on the same road tyres 1C or you go in 3C on 888s Avons whatever .
The MLR seems to want to please everybody which you cant do .plus the polisher content of this forum has rocketed ... one would think sitting on deck chairs in a field with the bonnet up biffing over a polished car is fun .:lol:

#57 ·
lol all the aggression on here, what i find comical i as was stated above, people asked for their opinions, then told their opinions are wrong! opinions are subjective, therefore cannot be wrong, they are the users experience and perspective, it may be different to someone elses, none are right they are just different.. **** happens life goes on

#61 · (Edited)
Reading all of the comments and to tick as many boxes as possible that people are moaning about:-

I would suggest organising a "one-off" at Blyton with:-

• A few hours in the morning run as a trackday with a limited amount of cars on track at one time.
  • Timed event in the afternoon (one car at a time as per normal)
  • No classes / just for fun / talk to people in the pits who are close to your times to see what spec their car is (if you want).
Bet it would sell well.

#62 ·
Reading all of the comments and to tick as many boxes as possible that people are moaning about:-

I would suggest organising a "one-off" at Blyton with:-

• A few hours in the morning run as a trackday / practice with a limited amount of cars on track at one time.
  • Timed event in the afternoon.
  • No classes / just for fun / talk to people in the pits who are close to your times to see what spec their car is (if you want).
Bet it would sell well.
I like that idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#64 · (Edited)
I personally think it has a lot to do with money and the lack of it currently in circulation. The recession has had an impact on many and whilst Evo ownership is still within reach of most the additional outlay of events such as track days and sprints are a luxury that a lot of folk don't see as a priority over the cost of providing for their families. Also these cars are ageing and as such has made them more affordable to the masses yet the running costs still remain high having a significant impact on newer owners cashflow. Lets not forget that 10 yrs ago a lot of us bought these cars new and had more expendable income that a lot of the current owners of these cars. This too will be a contributing factor in the reduced numbers seen at such events.
A means of possibly drawing more numbers would be to make the series open to other marques such as the Ford owners clubs etc etc.
A lot of the older members have also moved on from Evo ownership which includes some of those that used to compete in the MLRSS. These numbers have not been replaced by newer members to the forum for various reasons. How many paid up members do we have on the MLR in comparison to 10yrs ago? It would be interesting to here how that figure compares to that of today. I would have thought the numbers would be a lot less and hereby is another reason for dwindling numbers at events, however, I may be wrong on this assumption.

#72 ·
I'd reply to each part of your wrongness above but I think you've done enough to ruin this thread already. BTW, nobody was arrested and the bobbies didn't even contact me :crackup:

Meanwhile, the mini evolution is faster than you up your local track, Doune. :crackup: Get back to me when you have beaten his time. :mhihi:

Let's leave this thread alone now as it's about the MLRSS ideas. If you're still desperate for a bitchfest open another thread in chit chat and we can bore everyone to tears on there.

Apologies to Ross on mine AND Donald's behalf.

#74 ·
Yep I think it's an excellent idea

Reactions: RSgeoff
#75 ·
Does sound like a great idea tbh, and the times would be super quick after running the track in the morning

Morning track day / practice afternoon sprint

Regs 2013 I think that was the good year

Where can I pay :coolsm:

#77 ·
I think we are trying to over analysis the problem. For me there simply isn't enough Evo's out there that people want to compete to run a 1 or 2 make series and this will only get worse over coming years.

If we opened the series up to all makes as per Javelin and pushed the social media, engagement side of things then the MLR would be busy again. I am not sure how that would work with sponsorship but as Kenny said, Javelin sold out quickly at Cadwell with quite a few people disappointed at missing out on a spot so there is certainly the appetite.

#78 ·
I agree mate but from a business point of view if you run trackday / practise in the morning then you're opening it up to all the track day people too, also open it up to allmakes and models and you'd hope it has the ingredients for a cracking day all round and making money

#80 ·
In fairness regarding the Javelin sprints, there has been no bitching at all until kenny turned up. :crackup:

I've liked that about the javelin series, was never too serious, I've only ever known 2 counts of people moaning/bitching and both have been sorted easily enough.

I fully expect it to turn to **** eventually as it gets more popular, much like this series did. I do think friendly banter is important but it can turn far too easily. Kenny with respect, doesn't have a limit and people can and have got ****ed off already with him. I don't know how long it will be before he's banned from there tbh :lol:

Personally, I think it's the usual thing, it's a dying breed, the marque has had its day and it's going to go like the cossie.

Opened up and have all marquees against each other it would sell out, some of us have said this for the last 3 years but no one listens.

Maybe they're sick of doing it deep down.

#81 ·
In fairness regarding the Javelin sprints, there has been no bitching at all until kenny turned up.
Funnily enough I was assuming that from the info posted on this thread / not surprising / the only thing surprising is that he hasn't been ****ted by anyone over the years. Never has grown up / has the tact of a schoolkid and will no doubt now start to wreck that series.

Never has the saying "don't argue with an idiot as they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" been more appropriate for anyone.

door now opened for some pathetic insults to come back

#88 · (Edited)
While I appreciate Kenny can be a bit close to the bone at times, to suggest the MLRSS or any other competitive event is at risk because of one persons presence on social media is frankly ridiculous. If the MLR opens the series up as suggested I would bet it will be popular again and I am sure Javelin will be even more busy next year regardless.

#89 ·
For me it is simply finances and time

my children are at an age where everything is expensive and time is precious with them. Family first :smthumbup

Plenty of time when kids are grown up for me to play.

On the original topic, the Evo scene is dwindling rapidly in terms of them getting driven, so this has had an effect on the MLRSS.

By following a similar class system to other organisers and opening up the series to all marquee is definitely the answer.

They also say a change is as good as a rest, maybe both is what's needed :smthumbup

#90 ·
Honestly the only thing that put me slightly off was the distance to each venue from me (I live in east Sussex on the south coast) and many were over 200miles from me [emoji43]

I had a brilliant time at castle Coombe this year and was sad to hear it's not going to be around next year

I was even thinking of doing a trailer test and fitting a tow bar to the van ready for next season

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

#91 ·
Just read some of the posts on here and I can't believe what I'm. Seeing your all supposed to be adults

Personally I come on here as I do not visit mainstream social media book face tweeter etc.. I see this and think this is exactly what's wrong with this forum of late maybe that's why the forum has been quiet because of the shouting between others. Unbelievable

#94 ·
Just read some of the posts on here and I can't believe what I'm. Seeing your all supposed to be adults

Personally I come on here as I do not visit mainstream social media book face tweeter etc.. I see this and think this is exactly what's wrong with this forum of late maybe that's why the forum has been quiet because of the shouting between others. Unbelievable

Agreed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.