Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 14-06-2018, 20:18   #1
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Mining crypto at home

Just thought I'd stick up a thread to see if anyone on here has an interest in mining crypto / dabbles in it all / would like to share your experience in the subject.

Here's my crypto journey so far...

At the start of the year I started a project to build a new PC for general purpose use, a bit of 3D CAD and gaming. At the time I was building bitcoin had just finished hitting an all time high of over 19,000 USD and there was a GPU shortage (and still is to some extent). Around mid Feb I had built the PC and had it up and running. Having had a dabble in building a decent spec PC - the crypto gold rush did not escape the attention of many including myself. A month or so later I thought I'd have a dabble.

First the gaming rig grew - in went a bigger PSU and another 1080 Ti.

Next was the hunt for parts for a mining rig - more of the same with 5 x 1080 Ti and a 1080 (planning to swap this out for another 1080 Ti when I can). I have been running this for a few months now.

I've recently finished (well nearly) a 6 x 1070 Ti rig although I only have 5 running as of today as I'm waiting for a M.2 adapter for the 6th one.

I'm running everything at 60% power - here's my progress to date:

I'm thinking about getting 1 more rig and then calling it a day although I'm in no rush for it an might wait out for the 1180 GPU's. I hope the price of BTC picks up in the meantime as it's a bit rough right now at $6,400 USD. In it for the long haul and I don't plan on selling for a bit.

Something that's been holding an interest for me - any one else?
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-06-2018, 20:32   #2
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
Absolutely no ‘king idea what your on about, does this make me an old [email protected]?
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Dick For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (20-08-2018), Adz_306 (15-06-2018), axyr1 (15-06-2018), will2 (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 20:49   #3
kins
Regional Organiser

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dick View Post
Absolutely no ‘king idea what your on about, does this make me an old [email protected]?
Potentially - nah not really it's just like any other subject - take modding an Evo for example... it only starts making sense when you get into it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
Old 14-06-2018, 22:24   #4
will2
Regional Organiser

Car: jdm evo 7gsr , forged +full buddyclub exhaust,cams+ ix turbo,silver fastest with carbon ! ......
Damn money mongering capitalist
Old 15-06-2018, 09:20   #5
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
So, is the graph saying that so far you've mined just over a tenth of one bitcoin?
Old 15-06-2018, 09:29   #6
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
Quote:
No just normal
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leeslancer8 For This Useful Post:
Tom Dick (15-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 09:36   #7
kins
Regional Organiser

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
So, is the graph saying that so far you've mined just over a tenth of one bitcoin?
Yes that's correct Phil - you should work in banking!

Although technically I haven't mined any bitcoin, however I have been paid for mining other alt coins in bitcoin.

Last edited by kins; 15-06-2018 at 09:39..
The Following User Says Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (15-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 09:48   #8
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
Nope, still not getting it
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:52   #9
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Interesting as was talking about this the other night in a chat with some old mates, something that came to light was the cost of the energy to do this and they had some rough numbers of costing something like £4K in energy to mine a £6K bitcoin what are your findings on this ?
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:05   #10
kins
Regional Organiser

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Interesting as was talking about this the other night in a chat with some old mates, something that came to light was the cost of the energy to do this and they had some rough numbers of costing something like £4K in energy to mine a £6K bitcoin what are your findings on this ?
It's nowhere near those sorts of costs. If they're getting that sort of effeciency something is wrong. I'll run through the power usage and costs later - I keep track of it but don't have the details to hand right now.

Last edited by kins; 15-06-2018 at 10:06..
Old 15-06-2018, 10:13   #11
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Quote:
Yes it was just rough numbers from someone they knew who had been doing it and no doubt miles off so wondered what real world numbers were, be interesting to know yours

Last edited by thetyrant; 15-06-2018 at 10:14..
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:03   #12
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Nope, still not getting it
Oh dear Tom, do try to keep up!!

As far as I understand these wretched crypto thingies, the only way that additional "currency" can be created is by a process known as "mining". So think about something like physical gold metal and how more of that can get into active ownership and trading - yes, by being extracted from the ground ie mined.

Now, in the case of cryto currency mining, the way you go about this "mining" is to make computing power available to actually carry out crypto transactional activity (blockchain and distributed ledger stuff, and all that clever stuff). So you make available this processing capacity - which you have to buy, maintain and supply with electricity, and in return you are rewarded for this "mining" effort with newly created crypto currency. This is then yours to hold on to or sell or spend etc.

In my view the only true long-term winners in the crypto game will be the miners, although there are many who will no doubt disagree.
axyr1 (15-06-2018), jbakerevo (15-06-2018), Tom Dick (15-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 20:53   #13
jbakerevo
Senior User

I have been mining Ethereum for a few months now using claymore dual miner through nanopool.

I have 2 mining rigs set up, one Rig has 6 1070 cards and the other rig has 4 1080 and 2 1070. Shame that the crypto market has taken a dive this year but I am also in it for the long term. Have quite a few different cryptos but my main ones are:

Xrp - Around 15000
Tronix- around 480,000

also invested in reddcoin, bitcoin gold, bankera,envion,ethereum classic and a few others here and there, Hopefully 2019 is a better year for cryptos.
jbakerevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbakerevo For This Useful Post:
kins (15-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 20:59   #14
jbakerevo
Senior User

Quote:
Bitcoin is probably the least profitable coin to mine nowadays, ethereum is probably the most profitable at the moment. The amount of hash power you need now to solve the algorithims to unlock the blockchain to release a bitcoin just doesn't make it profitable to mine
jbakerevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 02:55   #15
baggy69

Car: MK3 Focus RS
I don't do mining but i do a lot of crypto buying at the ICO stage. Its a little slow with the down at the moment but there are still opportunities to flip straight away for multipliers.
baggy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baggy69 For This Useful Post:
Andy_vrs (04-08-2018)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: