Battery issue? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Old 28-01-2020, 20:10   #1
rock_evo

Battery issue?

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to owning an evo in general. I have recently bought a 2001 evo 7 it has been running fine. I was out in it last week and then I came home, 20 minutes later I went to go back out but the car seemed to die all of a sudden as soon as I turned the key and it didn't even try to start! The lights were dim and flickering as if the battery was very low. I jump started the car and left it running, as soon as I turned the lights on the engine cut out and wouldn't start again. I think maybe there is a loose ground cable as I've never known a battery to die so quickly! while looking for a loose connection I noticed the car has had a new alternator fitted so previous owner could maybe have been trying to fix the same problem? Has anyone had this problem? Also the battery that is in the car is not full size but is smaller and is just clamped down to the stock tray to make room for the top pipe, it looks scruffy! I want to tidy it up but not sure wether to get a mini battery and tray kit or to relocate a full size battery to the boot. Are the mini batteries adequate for daily driving and our uk winters? if so does anyone know of any kits available in UK? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
rock_evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-01-2020, 20:36   #2
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Check its charging first, likely the battery, but worth checking the alternator is doing its job

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RG Motorsport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 20:56   #3
rock_evo

ok will do, thanks. do you have any experience with running a small battery? (odyssey pc680) if it is capable for a daily driver?
rock_evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 21:09   #4
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_evo View Post
ok will do, thanks. do you have any experience with running a small battery? (odyssey pc680) if it is capable for a daily driver?
Yes, they are **** Once they go flat they are knackered, i ran 1 on my 5, soon as it needed more juice for colder starts it failed and then was useless, got a replacement under warranty, next winter came, same result

What I did with my 5 then was made space in the engine bay for a bigger tray, and fitted a bigger battery, might have been 067 from memory, but was a long time ago, but basically the biggest battery I could get on the the tray i made, wasnt huge though, just a more typical size for a 2.0L uk car

Lasted several years and no more battery issues, went with the car when I sold it

Stu

RG Motorsport -

The Following User Says Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
rock_evo (29-01-2020)
Old 29-01-2020, 07:45   #5
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Yes, they are **** Once they go flat they are knackered, i ran 1 on my 5, soon as it needed more juice for colder starts it failed and then was useless, got a replacement under warranty, next winter came, same result

Stu
Was it a case that it simply wouldn't re-charge, or that it wouldn't hold charge after being allowed to go completely flat?
Old 29-01-2020, 08:13   #6
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Was it a case that it simply wouldn't re-charge, or that it wouldn't hold charge after being allowed to go completely flat?
ok, i fitted the first around april time, and was very happy with it, even impressed, till the next winter set in, once it got cold, and the car needed more, for longer, to start, I noticed it soon deteriorate. Not long after there wasnt enough in it to start the car on a cold morning, put it on charge, car started but a few days later, same happened again

Under warranty, i got a replacement and it was fine till the winter afterwards, same again

My thinking is, once the battery has failed to start the car, its scrap, guess the strain of the failed start does them in. If you want to use the small gel type batteries, it needs to be kept on a battery optimiser/charger from October to April IMO, or else maybe use a larger 1 with a bigger capacity

Stu

RG Motorsport -

Old 29-01-2020, 09:00   #7
7722adam
Senior User

Car: Evo VI GSR, Evo 8 260
My Car
Had some thing similar on my 8 a while back, bad connections to the battery, gave them a clean, charged battery and all was good again.

Including dim lights on the dash etc. Worth a go before investing in battery/mechanic etc
rock_evo (29-01-2020)
Old 29-01-2020, 12:18   #8
grants
Senior User

My Car
If you are looking for a new battery have a look at YUASA YBX5053 link

Key benefit is 50Ah and 450 CCA It fits my RS battery tray, but may not fit cars with "hard pipes" fitted ?

Ignore price, going rate on line is £55 (ish)

G
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: