I bought the cheapest Evo 4 on the internet... RIP Wallet - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 10-04-2019, 06:20   #31
Iceywater

Car: Evo 4.6 GSR (sold), Evo 9 (back :D)
A few years back I also went down this lane of picking up a Evo 4 with a 6 engine at a very low price... Ah.. the joys and the tears It was a very intense experience... particularly it was my daily.. Enjoy it! I am subscribed and looking forward to seeing the progress.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:58   #32
sion_kwl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceywater View Post
A few years back I also went down this lane of picking up a Evo 4 with a 6 engine at a very low price...
Wasn't the same one was it? This one's had a few owners in the last 7 years

I actually found a few old owners on facebook, and one guy who apparently rescued it from a scrapyard, took it to a well respected tuner to find out how much work was needed, and quickly gave up when he saw the potential bill

Will be doing an oil service this weekend and booking it in for a timing belt asap, then hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it for a few months before I start working on the bodywork
sion_kwl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sion_kwl For This Useful Post:
Iceywater (11-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:59   #33
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V
My Car
Where are you based? You should bring it along to a show with some club members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Most TME owners have never driven an evo, including their own.
strange_days_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 16:02   #34
sion_kwl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_days_uk View Post
Where are you based? You should bring it along to a show with some club members
Blackwood South Wales. I should be heading to Trax/Japfest at Donnington with a local club
Old 11-04-2019, 07:06   #35
Iceywater

Car: Evo 4.6 GSR (sold), Evo 9 (back :D)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion_kwl View Post
Wasn't the same one was it? This one's had a few owners in the last 7 years

I actually found a few old owners on facebook, and one guy who apparently rescued it from a scrapyard, took it to a well respected tuner to find out how much work was needed, and quickly gave up when he saw the potential bill

Will be doing an oil service this weekend and booking it in for a timing belt asap, then hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it for a few months before I start working on the bodywork
I am not sure.. unless the car wandered back to England from Germany. I sadly do not know where it is now.. but the last owner was based around Frankfurt.

But ahh the joys... it was also silver/gray with a flip flop paint. As I sold it, it had TE16s white. Boy I spent a lot of time working on it getting it right. Cleaned the underbody, replaced the bushes, fitted some KWs V3 to it, new intercooler etc etc. It was not perfect (bit rough exterior wise) but I always made it to my destination, so no complaints there. Nevertheless was a good experience to learn the ins and outs of the car
Old 11-04-2019, 20:14   #36
sion_kwl
User

Changed the fuel filter and spark plugs and its much smoother at high RPM now, but theres still some bucking from around 7200 onwards. Dunno what it might be, it doesn't seem like its missing spark or anything. Bit stumped.

Idles also not perfectly smooth, but I don't know how smooth it's supposed to be. It almost sounds like mild cams. Wondering if they're related but can't think what connects them
Old 11-04-2019, 20:33   #37
Steve-6

Car: EVO 6 GSR Silver
I would have bought it for the Reg number alone.
Steve-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 21:16   #38
notenoughtime
User

Looking forward to what you do with this I’ve just bought a very similar car
notenoughtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 21:50   #39
H18BY0
... now with more Bang :)

Car: Slagged Red Evo 6 tme (ex 6 silver tme owner) & 95 white Astra Merit (auto :)
My Car
Best thread for ages

Good luck

:::::::::::::::::::::: Tommi Mäkinen ////////// Edition No.13 ::::::::::::::::::::::
Iceywater (15-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 23:03   #40
matthew1873

Car: Evo IV, standardish..............
My Car
Quote:
Changed the fuel filter and spark plugs and its much smoother at high RPM now, but theres still some bucking from around 7200 onwards. Dunno what it might be, it doesn't seem like its missing spark or anything. Bit stumped.

Idles also not perfectly smooth, but I don't know how smooth it's supposed to be. It almost sounds like mild cams. Wondering if they're related but can't think what connects them
Get it on the Dyno over at Ant's place mate. Will tell you the story with the engine's health. I would be surprised if its running aftermarket cams to be honest. What did you gap the plugs to?

Matthew
Old 12-04-2019, 05:31   #41
sion_kwl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1873 View Post
Get it on the Dyno over at Ant's place mate. Will tell you the story with the engine's health. I would be surprised if its running aftermarket cams to be honest. What did you gap the plugs to?
Im Gonna ring them later and get it booked in for a belt, and alignment, I'll chat to them about doing some diagnostics at the same time. I don't think it's a cam, just what it sounds like hah.

Gapped the plugs to .55
Old 12-04-2019, 07:28   #42
sion_kwl
User

Never mind, found the issue. Evo 6 injectors, Evo 4 ECU... should have checked and not trusted the Pictures
Old 12-04-2019, 21:49   #43
matthew1873

Car: Evo IV, standardish..............
My Car
Quote:
Never mind, found the issue. Evo 6 injectors, Evo 4 ECU... should have checked and not trusted the Pictures
Ah well thats easy then. Bin the metal cased ECU and get a 5/6 one. A 3 port solenoid also and get Ant to map it for ECU controlled boost. Will be worth the effort in the end mate. On song with a decent geometry setup and an open windy road these cars get under your skin!

Keep us posted!
Old 13-04-2019, 09:17   #44
RaeTurbo
Senior User

Car: E4 Saddly demised. Now, 24V Senator (lpg) 24V carlton,Evo2 mapped antilagged and LC by Mr Fox.
My Car
^ second what he said^ ��
Old 13-04-2019, 13:40   #45
sion_kwl
User

Got the ecu on its way. And that is the plan, but I want to sort out the rear diff situation first. I can't decide whether to replace/repair the AYC diff and get the pump refurbished, or fit an LSD.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: