Turbo problem?! - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 13-08-2018, 08:45   #1
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
Turbo problem?!

So..

Been getting my car mapped recently. On the dyno and driving at around 3.8k revs (when nailing it) it'll suddenly spike up, it feels like clutch slip, but there is no smell whatsoever. When speaking to the mapper, he said it could be the internals of the turbo- the vein has cracked and it could be catching?

I tested it differently I plodded my way up to around 5k revs nailed it.. and as soon as boost kicks in it'll 'slip/spike' then go up normally.. tried at different rev range up an it's as soon as the boost kicks in.

Wastegate is good, fueling is now spot on after doing injectors and pump. 3 port boost solonoid is working as it should.

Anyone had this before?!
Evo8.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-08-2018, 09:22   #2
stareast
Senior User

Car: EV0 6 TME HKS GTII turbo.Motec M-800-Trust intercooler-Proflex 2
For me it is a clutch slipping
What is the condition of the clutch or type ?
Have you notice a leak coming from the front of the gearbox ?
I had this problem before: the primary shaft seal of the gearbox was leaking oil (not much on the ground) and as the clutch was slipping there was no clutch material burning smell.
stareast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:40   #3
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stareast View Post
For me it is a clutch slipping
What is the condition of the clutch or type ?
Have you notice a leak coming from the front of the gearbox ?
I had this problem before: the primary shaft seal of the gearbox was leaking oil (not much on the ground) and as the clutch was slipping there was no clutch material burning smell.

Clutch condition is good. Never missed a beat, there's not a leak either. It's and uprated Exedy.

This car is puzzling me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-08-2018, 09:43   #4
Mita
Senior User

Sounds like clutch to me? How do you know clutch is ok?
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:45   #5
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Sounds like clutch to me? How do you know clutch is ok?
Even driving hard before turbo spools i have no slip whatsoever, once the 'slip/spike' has gone when driving hard it's faultless.

The mapper adjusted pedal (in hope to move the bite for clutch) yet it was still happening as soon as the turbo kicked in. 3.8k Revs on mine
Old 13-08-2018, 10:00   #6
Mita
Senior User

IMO a broken turbo vein isn’t going to catch at the same revs every time. And a catching turbo won’t perform. So I’d be surprised if it’s that. When the turbo spools is when the most pressure is on the clutch, this is the most likely time for it to slip.
Old 13-08-2018, 10:09   #7
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
Quote:
IMO a broken turbo vein isnít going to catch at the same revs every time. And a catching turbo wonít perform. So Iíd be surprised if itís that. When the turbo spools is when the most pressure is on the clutch, this is the most likely time for it to slip.
That's only when nailing from lower revs,

It's every time boost kicks in.
Old 13-08-2018, 10:23   #8
Mita
Senior User

Well I don’t wanna guess, hopefully someone may know more. Have you looked inside turbo?
Old 13-08-2018, 10:40   #9
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
Quote:
Well I donít wanna guess, hopefully someone may know more. Have you looked inside turbo?
That's my next port of call. I was just seeing if anyone has had the same issue before stripping starts.
Old 13-08-2018, 10:50   #10
Mita
Senior User

Just take off the the air filter and inlet pipe and get a torch in there. Only take ten mins to have a look. Might show up something. As said I’d be surprised if it’s that but I’m not an expert
Old 13-08-2018, 10:55   #11
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
well.. i thought it was that easy but it would be the vein on the inside. need to split the turbo to check it! as it could be a slight crack!
Old 13-08-2018, 10:56   #12
Mita
Senior User

If it’s catching one side it will have movement , check for that first from the east side. I think if you shine a torch in you’ll see something. If anything!
Old 13-08-2018, 12:10   #13
pmugabi

Car: Evo 4 with E8 ECU, XS Engineering 272 cams, 80 series turbo
Why would a turbo spike only during spool-up and not during steady state operation?

I've driven damaged turbos before and the issue will be noticeable during steady state operation as well. And a vane catching will be heard and the car will seem to hit a brick wall for a second.

Clutch slip is manifested by an increase in engine speed with no increase in road speed. What you seem to be describing is an increase in power and then reduction to 'normal' power. To me that sounds like incorrect wastegate vs desired load settings i.e. it's in the map.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pmugabi For This Useful Post:
Evo8.Rob (13-08-2018), Mita (13-08-2018)
Old 13-08-2018, 12:37   #14
Evo8.Rob
User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmugabi View Post
Why would a turbo spike only during spool-up and not during steady state operation?

I've driven damaged turbos before and the issue will be noticeable during steady state operation as well. And a vane catching will be heard and the car will seem to hit a brick wall for a second.

Clutch slip is manifested by an increase in engine speed with no increase in road speed. What you seem to be describing is an increase in power and then reduction to 'normal' power. To me that sounds like incorrect wastegate vs desired load settings i.e. it's in the map.
That's it increase then returns to normal. I know nothing about mapping, but the mapper changed all load settings- actuator settings etc, it changed how 'viscous' the spike was. But regardless it was still there.

When driving the vehicle you can feel the increase in engine power which is transferred to road speed, but in the short 0.3 seconds or whatever it was it then goes back to normal and can accelerate hard up to 6k+

The mapping company is very, very reputable plenty of my local evo owners have used them for mapping.
Old 13-08-2018, 12:42   #15
Mita
Senior User

I’m a bit worried that your mapper is blaming the turbo?

And the reason he’s giving too?
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: