Heater Matrix leaking!! - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 07-01-2021, 16:35   #1
memoli

Heater Matrix leaking!!

Hi all,

Just a quick question ... I have an evo 5, a few days back i decided to do a coolant flush and change. I put flush into the coolant system and left the car idle for about 20 mins or so with the heater set to max temp with the heaters on. After the car had warmed up (thermostat opened etc) I noticed water dripping from underneath the car .. upon closer inspection the water was dripping from the heater matrix nipple on the bulkhead. I therefore looped the 2 hoses together to bypass the matrix altogether so it doesn't leak into the car.

It never leaked before the coolant flush, so i'm a bit perplexed as to why it has decided to do so all of a sudden. Is there any way of testing the heater matrix without having to take it out? Before i bypassed the matrix the heaters worked fine, so at least i know it still works ... just a leak or blockage somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
memoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2021, 18:03   #2
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
the heater matrix was probably already on its way out, and the flush cleared any gunk that was stopping the leak, you could try 1 of those rad fix additives as a short term fix

To test the matrix, only a thought but maybe pressure test it, see if it holds pressure over time. I cant remember this heater matrix nipple though, thought it was just a pipe in and a pipe out, when the matrix went on my 5 it leaked into the car, the give away as it was only a tiny leak was the smell of antifreeze, and windows steaming up more, when the heaters where on

Replacing the matrix was a pig of a job, good luck

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RG Motorsport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 18:09   #3
stu8
Senior User

My Car
https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/pic...rix-core-2.jpg

This looks like how I remember the matrix

Stu

RG Motorsport -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2021, 08:58   #4
memoli

Hi Stu,

Thanks for replying ... Yeah that's the heater matrix in the link, thankfully i managed to catch the leak before it came into the car as i saw it dripping underneath the car. You're correct, it's a pipe in and out job but it was leaking from the little black drip tray pipe, I think it's the one used to get rid of water when the air con is on (air con was definitely switched off).

I'll try pressure testing the system see if it holds pressure ... i'm guessing you do that by pumping air into one pipe whilst blocking the other off with a pressure gauge attached to monitor pressure right?

I can already tell it's going to be a pig of a job so want to make sure it's definitely a faulty matrix before i rip the dash out thankfully we're in sunny Cyprus so no need for the heater really but want it all to be working haha

Cheers
Old 08-01-2021, 09:04   #5
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoli View Post
Hi Stu,

Thanks for replying ... Yeah that's the heater matrix in the link, thankfully i managed to catch the leak before it came into the car as i saw it dripping underneath the car. You're correct, it's a pipe in and out job but it was leaking from the little black drip tray pipe, I think it's the one used to get rid of water when the air con is on (air con was definitely switched off).

I'll try pressure testing the system see if it holds pressure ... i'm guessing you do that by pumping air into one pipe whilst blocking the other off with a pressure gauge attached to monitor pressure right?

I can already tell it's going to be a pig of a job so want to make sure it's definitely a faulty matrix before i rip the dash out thankfully we're in sunny Cyprus so no need for the heater really but want it all to be working haha

Cheers
Was going to ask about the aircon lol. Yer, i cant see any reason that an air pressure test like you say wouldnt tell, you'll probably hear the air hissing out, so maybe able to trace if its the matrix or pipes. The pipes screw on, and there is a o ring seal in them, maybe worth seeing if you can get to them to make sure its not just that first, but access is a pig

I got away with not fully removing the dash, but it wasn't easy, it still needed to be moved enough to give the access

My screen kept steaming up but I ran with it for summer, got to winter in the uk and the job had to be sorted

Stu

RG Motorsport -

Old 08-01-2021, 13:50   #6
memoli

haha mate can you imagine if i just left the air con on by mistake . I'll first try the pressure test see what it does. That's a good idea about looking at the pipes, your talking about the 2 white pipes on the back of the matrix right? As shown in the link you sent earlier. I'll check them out too, not looking forward to figuring out how i'm going to get to them but where theres a will there's always a way haha.

Tbh were in January and the temp is still about 20 degrees here so no need to for the heater at all, but couldn't get away with this in the Uk

Mem
Old 08-01-2021, 14:28   #7
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoli View Post
haha mate can you imagine if i just left the air con on by mistake . I'll first try the pressure test see what it does. That's a good idea about looking at the pipes, your talking about the 2 white pipes on the back of the matrix right? As shown in the link you sent earlier. I'll check them out too, not looking forward to figuring out how i'm going to get to them but where theres a will there's always a way haha.

Tbh were in January and the temp is still about 20 degrees here so no need to for the heater at all, but couldn't get away with this in the Uk

Mem
Yer, the white pipes, where they fasten on there is an O ring in there i think (was several years ago I did mine). To replace I pulled the dash forward enough to get to it, without actually removing it completely, was fiddly, but I got there in the end. Might have had to trim a bit of plastic my the matrix but it was nothing visible or important

Its snowing here, I need to live somewhere warmer, guess thats not spain with the temp they reported yesterday

Stu

Edit: also check the white pipes haven't cracked

RG Motorsport -

Old 12-01-2021, 14:28   #8
memoli

Ok cool, I'll have to gear myself up to do this job Hope it's the o rings, otherwise it'll be a long wait to get another matrix, borders are shut here and no where here sells them .. they look at you like your crazy, why do you need a heater in cyprus??? hahaha

Thanks for your help Stu, appreciate it i'll let you know how i get on.

Mehmet
The Following User Says Thank You to memoli For This Useful Post:
stu8 (12-01-2021)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: