Lancer Register Forum banner

Help - Knocking From Front Suspension?

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  matthew1873 
G
#1 ·
I'm sure I've read about this somewhere as a known issue with the Evo VI but I have developed a small knocking noise :(

It appears to be coming from arrund the front o/s suspension area and seems to appear when I'm turning into a left corner and usually over a bumpy road? Doesn't sound major, the sound is about the same as if you were to knock on the front wing with your hand? Anyone any ideas, I would like to have some clue before leave it at the dealers?

Thanks

G
#7 ·
I've experienced a knocking noise from left and amp; right front corner - started mild and only heard it on turning corners and got progressively worse. The problem was the suspension legs which had to be replaced. Car has done 35k.

Brian

#9 ·
noises from front left (mainly) on E6..

Hi guys,

just wondering if there had been any update on the problems posted hear asI think i have a similar one..

It seems to occur when swinging to the right, thus putting pressure on the left hand side..... probably when its under more compressions, thus the wheel/tyre is higher in the arch than when in a staight line.

It does seem worse on bumpy roads, and i noticed it most when in France this year, turning off the N roads, where they often have quite short tight exit roads, and it would knock then.

I wondered if it was simply the tyre hitting the plastic arch liner, as it did seem to sounds like a rotating object (ie. tyre) hitting something occasionally...

My dealer has looked but as yet not tried anything.

It also seems more noticable with someone heavy in the passenger seat (im not saying my friends are fat tho!)...

So far, the theories range from tyre hitting arch liner, tyre/wheel hitting something else, Top Mounts. Shocks, Ball-Joints Steering rack, drive shafts and CV Joints!

Its all under warranty, but it seems to take my dealer FOREVER to get spares down from Mitsi UK/Ralliart (as they were until recently) and if i get them to start changing all these things (assuming I could convince them to try!) my car will probably be out of warranty (next March!)...

As it is, im still waiting for gearbox parts, clutch parts and new tappets (all under warranty!) to turn up!

By the way, now Ralliart Dudley is now no longer actually Ralliart, are they still the experts in all things Evo VI, or is there anywhere better in the UK you would suggest?

Look forward to hearing from peeps!

Thanks.....

#10 ·
MY knocking was cured by having the two front struts replaced under warranty.

However, my knocking was when the car was unloaded, opposite to yours. I.E. swing car to right, so O.S. suspensionn unloads and starts knocking.Also more prone to knocking if the road was wet ( i presumed top mounts getting wet and causing less friction/more movement).

Rich.

#11 ·
Front end noise.

I have suffered with this for ages. I have changes every conceivable part and have now concluded the following.

Due to the comparatively large diameter of the struts on our cars as the struts dry the drag between the strut shaft and the upper bushings in the strut assembly can create mechanical noise. Try periodically lubricating the bushing by spraying the shafts.

I was skeptical when a mechanic suggested it to me but it seems to work!

#12 · (Edited)
I have had the same knocking as per the original posting for a while now on both front sides (mainly left though). I have narrowed it down to the suspension, most probably the top mounts or possibly the struts (disconnected the anti-roll bar and it made no difference). Gave the car a good wash before the rally supercar day including pressure washing the arches and the noise disappeared for a while which confirms the top mounts in my opinion. I am replacing the whole lot with second hand, low mile TME suspension thanks to Claudius. I may whack on some pillowball top mounts at the same time for a better set-up and to get rid of the problem for good.
Btw 36k mile E6 GSR here.

Braf,
Just saw your post (sneaked in before mine ;)). I will give your suggestion a try, sounds like it might work given my experience with the pressure washer.

#13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions ....

Are we talking about spraying stuff with WD40 or something else?

And are we talking about the shaft that runs up and down the inside of thedamper, and the bushes that sit on top?

Sorry to be thick - suspension is my weak point! (and apparently my Cars, also!)

Cheers!

#14 ·
Correct, you get not only movement in the shaft that runs inside the damper (its actually the bushes that hold it in place that wear) but also movement in the top mount bearings.

I did read that sometimes the knocking can be eliminated by simply repacking the top bearings with fresh grease.

Only cure for worn damper bushes is complete replacement of the damper itself.

Not heard the one about spraying the dampers with WD40 or simular before this thread.

Rich.

#15 ·
RichW,
Yep, I think it was Maxi or Advevo who said about the top mounts needing fresh grease. I even think they brought new top mounts and they were still inadequately greased?

Spraying the bushes with WD40 will eventually rot them so not ideal, good for tracing the exact problem though.

Given that my dampers have covered over 36k miles then they are past their best so I will stick Claudius's low milers (2.5k) on anyway, making sure of course the top mounts are greased correctly ;) (don't think I will bother with pillowballs at the moment).

#17 ·
I have the same problem again and have had for some time now.

I notice it most when driving slowly over small potholes when the suspension has to drop, not around corners.

HH6, it is going into Brighton Mitsubishi on Friday, I hear there will be about 6 evos there that day including yourself...

Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.