Lancer Register Forum banner

Brexit - some sense at last !

5K views 72 replies 22 participants last post by  Mita 
#1 ·
Than goodness - some sense at last ...

#2 ·
Let’s wait until the papers are released, just remember the man telling us it’s great news also told us there were 170 lorry’s in Kent waiting to cross the channel

#4 ·
If I were cynical, I could think that the reaction from France to a new strain of a virus, that was first documented in September (I think), to close the border near the end of December, might not have really been about Covid at all, and might have been a little muscle flexing to try and push French or EU demands in the negotiations, I dont know, maybe for fishing for example :shrug:

Stu

#7 ·
Don't think the Germans would have let a no deal happen,who are the real power in Europe, anyway we are out which has got be better, than being stuck in a union with our hands tied now we can trade with the rest of the world

#13 ·
So it means I can continue to buy stuff and ship to Greece from the UK without having to worry about import taxes?

Great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully yes.
There will be some clarification around the "origin" of the goods to qualify for free trade. Freetrade is obviously quite different to frictionless trade.
My understanding at the moment is you should have to pay only any applicable VAT in your country upon importing, but no import tax.

#23 ·
Anything that makes business a more level playing field is a good thing IMO.:smthumbup

There is a huge potential for growth in the black markets if they don't get it right. So I'm guessing handling free trade to keep both economies going whilst making sure relevant sales taxes are collected will be a big topic at the moment.

#35 ·
Still will bit of confusion no doubt ....
I get most of my tools n such from a UK online business,up to now they removed vat at source from my online account ...and with the tools cheaper in first place it was used often by myself and other lads in work ....will have to see if it will be worth it now if paying UK vat or local vat to me lumped on with other duties ....thats the micro outlook and the typical selfish viewpoint most have on both sides of the now EU /UK border ...the macro outlook is youve escaped the UNACCOUNTABLE and UNELECTED EU commision deciding your life ....being brave always comes at a cost ;) ...just wish our lot would follow suit the spinless cnnuts !

#41 ·
As of today UK companies don't collect VAT on sales outside of our domestic market.
If a free trade agreement is confirmed with EU then the gross cost for EU nationals buying goods from the UK should be roughly the same as it was, the only difference is you pay the VAT at your country’s rate, not at the UK standard rate.

#42 ·
As of today UK companies don't collect VAT on sales outside of our domestic market.
If a free trade agreement is confirmed with EU then the gross cost for EU nationals buying goods from the UK should be roughly the same as it was, the only difference is you pay the VAT at your country's rate, not at the UK standard rate.
To pay local vat, then purchase prices should be exVAT.

Does that mean that as of today EU customers would purchase goods exVAT from you guys? So on EU customers' accounts prices would be exVAT, to pay local vat upon import?

It's still not clear to me but I understand it's still not clear to many people. [emoji3]

But I don't think it's a vat issue. I'm not sure things would change in that aspect. I think the biggest issue would be delays on import as goods must now pass customs (additional paperwork might be required, additional procedures etc).

#44 · (Edited)
The VAT part is not the problem, it's the import tax creating the problem (well, cost)

Indeed we (EU country) don't need to pay VAT in UK (20%) but in our own country (21% for Belgium)

BUT:
in Belgium they will add import duty (rate depending on product).
And what is nice: this duty is calculated on total amount!
- Product cost
+ Delivery cost
+ VAT on sum of above
+ Import duty on sum of above

Example for a car (import tax is 10%)

Vehicle cost: 15.000 euro
Delivery: 1.000 euro
VAT: 16.000 +21% = 19.360 euro
Import tax: 19.360 + 10% = 21.296 euro

(and than it's not even homologated, I'll spare you that story...)

#49 ·
That's not good :wallbang: VAT is correct but there shouldn't be duty. Here we would also be charged a handling fee by courier which is a minimum of about £12 which makes buying small stuff a non-starter if seller is not VAT registered in UK. Fortunately in UK ebay charge VAT if necessary without further handling charges so that stil works OK.

I do feel for smaller EU vendors that are forced to register for VAT in UK and supply VAT returns and the media have already been shouting that several venders are now refusing to ship to UK ... ebay (etc) would be a solution for them but not ideal for some I'm sure.

#50 · (Edited)
ok... let me pitch in here so i ordered some parts before brexit, being guaranteed that no import duties would have to be paid because it was ordered before brexit...

however...

i had one order for 450 ish £ arrive today were i had to pay 180 euro on top...

then there was another one for 250 with a 100 euro import duties
then another one with no value declared.. again 100 euro duties had to be paid

we have companies stating that no VAT should be paid when ordering & other one stating that we should still pay VAT in UK & again arriving at mainland EU.

for example OPIEOILS gave me the following statement today

my question :
"Hi Stephen,

Thank you!

will future purchases from EU be automatically exempt from VAT when purchasing on your site ?

since i will pay VAT on arrival in my country.

Kind Regards,

Tom
"

opieoils reply

"Unfortunately, not Tom.

A charge will incur from now on which the customer is liable to pay for.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Kind regards

Stephen "

however as real word situations seem to be different, any goods that are being bought from UK to EU will be taxed upon arrival.

with VAT , administrative costs & import tax

and i am pretty sure this will also be the case the other way around... maybe it's different if you have a VAT registered company but for normal retail buyers its a real ****show to buy anything from UK , as it doesn't make any economical sense... would be cheaper currently to buy directly from Japan or US even considering the GBP,USD,JPY >< EUR exchange rates

#51 ·
That is just plain wrong if the charge they refer to is VAT. Here is the text from the UK government web site:

VAT on exports
VAT is a tax on goods used in the UK and you do not charge VAT if goods are exported from:

Great Britain to a destination outside the UK.
Northern Ireland to a destination outside the UK and EU .

You can zero rate the sale, as long as you get and keep evidence of the export, and comply with all other conditions. You must also make sure the goods are exported, and you must get the evidence within 3 months from the time of sale. This can be longer for goods that need processing before export and for thoroughbred racehorses.

The time of sale is the earlier of the day you:

send the goods to your customer
get full payment for them

You must not zero rate sales if your customer asks you to deliver them to a UK address. If the customer arranges to collect them from you (an indirect export), you may be able to zero rate the sale as long as you meet certain zero rating conditions.

#52 · (Edited)
as you can see i specifically asked about VAT, nothing else... so yeah seems even a big company like opieoils is not respecting the agreed rules or don't understand them

but to be fair, they reimbursed me fully for all import duties as they guaranteed it 2 times before shipping that there would be no additional costs

so that is fair play on their end

#59 · (Edited)
I want to order oil from Opie.

I'm 100% sure that vat will be charged upon import, same with imports from USA.

Would Opie sell ex-VAT?

They should but from Tom's experience you should check with them first. Opie are certainly not liable to pay UK VAT to our HMRC (on an export) so should not be charging you.

#65 ·
Can anyone give me one benefit of Brexit please? Something positive that we can now do that we couldn't as part of the EU that was worth losing our right to travel, work, freely trade without tariffs etc. I'm struggling to see anything good whatsoever

The haunted pencil said it could be 30 years before we even get back to where we were before we left. A rare moment of truth from a Tory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.