Lancer Register Forum banner

Importance of a Japanese HPI check

9K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  RSgeoff 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there is a sticky at the top of the page

Here - http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=521798

You can get it done if you click on the link, current cost is £28.50 / 3500 Yen if paid via paypal.

Not trying to open a can of worms but 2 people I know were interested in a nice white 6,

from what I gather the car was sold to the owner by a reputable dealership as a private sale in Japan, never been through auction, really clean car.

Done the check and it comes back as reported damaged, the car had been sold through auctions previously and the report showed the auction sheets as grade R due to damage repair.

All is not lost as the car still looks a lovely example and looks to have been repaired properly etc but its just nice to know prior to purchase so you can make an informed decision.

EDITED - I am NOT saying get hung up on a cars grade, I am saying it is a good idea to do a background check on a fresh import your thinking of buying to give you an idea of mileage and condition at point of import.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I know there is a sticky at the top of the page

Here - http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=521798

You can get it done if you click on the link, current cost is £28.50 / 3500 Yen if paid via paypal.

Not trying to open a can of worms but 2 people I know were interested in a nice white 6,

from what I gather the car was sold to the owner by a reputable dealership as a private sale in Japan, never been through auction, really clean car.

Done the check and it comes back as reported damaged, the car had been sold through auctions previously and the report showed the auction sheets as grade R due to damage repair.

All is not lost as the car still looks a lovely example and looks to have been repaired properly etc but its just nice to know prior to purchase so you can make an informed decision.
Why would you have to be informed of it being a grade R or RA. People are misinterpreting the grading system and then using it to make up their own assumptions about the car.

It's the same as buying a car over here in the UK and the seller or dealer , having to tell each prospective buyer if the cars had a panel repaired no matter how small or minor paint.

How many UK cars go through UK auctions needing paint or a body repair ??? Thousands I bet and people are none the wiser because the way of doing things over here is different to the way it's done and regulated in Japan.

You go on what the car looks like and how it is over here not a report that's graded a car R because MR Chan has reversed it into his garden gate and replaced a boot lid.

When will people learn if the damage in Japan is severe enough to warrant a categorisation it'll be classed as a grade ???.

Some of the so called 'higher grade' cars I've seen 3-3.5-4 are complete heaps underneath while some of the R grades have been graded This because of a silly repair and are IMO a much better car than some of the higher grade cars that I've seen pass through.

The way the economy is at the moment and the way the Yen is against Sterling, let people crack on misleading others and misinterpreting the grading system and try and find those 'mint' Evo's for 6grand. All that's going to be left in a few years is UK versions which have a tendency to rust away or your R grades which are apparently to some Cat D's !!!!

#5 · (Edited)
It's a great feature no doubt Ant, I don't dispute that what so ever. What I don't like is people / a small group of individuals that usually reside here, that abuse the system to their advantage, offer half the price of the vehicle to a seller, saying that an R grade is 'completely ****in fuxked mate' They then wait a few months for things to settle down and pop it on a forecourt or gumtree/ Ebay for more than what they've paid for it.

#6 · (Edited)
Which is why I put the car still looks excellent condition

However it's not about the grading it's more the fact it's showing a marker against being repaired, I believe this is the equivalent of it being on the V car register in the U.K.

It also gives the buyer and indication and a nice to know and see, so they can make a judgement call.

However being told that it's a non auction car by a trader and that it was bought privately, makes this a good check also

#7 · (Edited)
Which is why I put the car still looks excellent condition

However it's not about the grading it's more the fact it's showing a marker against being repaired, I believe this is the equivalent of it being on the V car register in the U.K.

It also gives the buyer and indication and a nice to know and see, so they can make a judgement call.

However being told that it's a non auction car by a trader and that it was bought privately, makes this a good check also
The way that everything is recorded and registered in Japan is different. All accidents that the insurance company get involved with regardless of the severity are recorded.
A grade R isn't a V registered car, I've seen 2 auction houses grade the same car as 3 and the other grade it R. This also happened recently with a Red makinnen that was graded R because it needed paint.

People need to stop with this it's not only ruining people perception of cars it's ruining the Evo scene to an extent.

#8 ·
Regardless of why the car was graded an R at auction, it is going to worth less than one that wasn't.

I've said in the past there's nothing wrong with buying a Grade R car, as long as you know it's a Grade R. You can do more thorough checks and inspection's and you can also prepare for the financial hit when you come to sell as you can bet your bottom dollar the next buyer will be checking the grade.

I think also that saying the HPI check is ruining the Evo scene is looking at it completely wrong, its the traders and importers who are importing them and selling them at premium prices that are ruining things. Everyone likes a bargain, no-one likes been ripped off to fund a dishonest trader.

#10 · (Edited)
Problem is is people commenting in this thread have a personal agenda with the importer. Who said it's actually gone through auction and sold through auction. Maybe it was sent and unsold through auction and then purchased as a private buy??

Once people get over their personal agendas and chest beating and base things on fact, things will be a lot easier.

#9 ·
its not only about whether the car was being repaired, its also about importer being honest about a car they are selling. Personally I would like to know if the car was being involved in accident or not regardless of the quality of the repair. Grading has gone tits up over last year and would never take it as gospel but at least it gives some indication on state of the car

#12 · (Edited)
it makes no difference to me so I have no agenda,

its not my car and I wasnt looking to buy it, I have not named the seller or the car either

my point was the owner didnt know and was told differently, if that was me then I would not be happy so the check is worth doing prior to buying

no idea why its got a rod up your back

now you know of this check would you buy an import without doing one ?

some people are paying 20-50k for these cars and its no different to running a UK HPI on a UK car, I wouldnt buy a UK car without a HPI check, as we know they do not show up all repairs etc but its just part of the buying process

I am not for one minute saying get hung up on the grade of a car

#14 ·
it makes no difference to me so I have no agenda,

its not my car and I wasnt looking to buy it, I have not named the seller or the car either

my point was the owner didnt know and was told differently, if that was me then I would not be happy so the check is worth doing prior to buying

no idea why its got a rod up your back

now you know of this check would you buy an import without doing one ?

some people are paying 20-50k for these cars and its no different to running a UK HPI on a UK car, I wouldnt buy a UK car without a HPI check, as we know they do not show up all repairs etc but its just part of the buying process

I am not for one minute saying get hung up on the grade of a car
it is totally differant to a hpi in the uk - its one mans decision to what many 10-25 year old vehicles are graded at.

You see the same cars go through auctions one week graded a 3.5 then asame car put into differant auction graded a R.

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULDNT JUMP TO YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT SPENDING SOME SERIOUS TIME IN JAPAN - THATS ALL IM SAYING

#24 ·
In truth, I think there is a show of respect that Andy hasn't posted car details, trader or seller in question.

Most cars would of had something repaired at one stage, if that was before or after import after all they are pretty damn old now.

Not sure the grading system would put me off a particular car but it isn't good if seller was told lies or the truth was bent slightly. But then again how many dodgey importers are about now!

Potentially a minefield that's why I think it's good that such information is now easily found for potential buyers.

#25 ·
In truth, I think there is a show of respect that Andy hasn't posted car details, trader or seller in question.

Most cars would of had something repaired at one stage, if that was before or after import after all they are pretty damn old now.

Not sure the grading system would put me off a particular car but it isn't good if seller was told lies or the truth was bent slightly. But then again how many dodgey importers are about now!

Potentially a minefield that's why I think it's good that such information is now easily found for potential buyers.
Very realistic answer about right in my opinion :smthumbup

#26 ·
I will use this as a prime example from yesterday/ last week.This is one of hundreds and thousands...... This is why i say - take your auctions grades with a pinch of salt and dont get tied up in it too much. One man (auction worker) decideing lol

Look at the car your buying instead of sat behind a key board or trying to buy off the internet ....the way of the world now whether we like it or not but thats not good enough , people need to be buying with their own eyes or paying people with experience....just like we do in japan, who you can trust and rely on.

Attachments

#29 ·
Thats a ridiculous comment, Im not trying to disprove any system - im saying its a guide and giving you an example of what goes on daily and as im in the know with 20 years experience and imported 1000's of vehicles, spent many weeks / months in japan (my job 6 days per week). Whether their uk cars or imported i know by looking at a car whether parts have been replaced/painted /factory etc etc .
Im also encouraging people to actually view cars instead of people like your self scooting round forums and face book thinking they know everything.

i was going to do a large write up on this subject to try and make you understand what actually happens , but its pointless totally pointless as what ever you try and say and tell the facts you cant tell people "who think they know"... its impossible on a place like this, not all by any means but some have totally no idea. Might seem harsh but true!

Hope that answers your question

#32 ·
Barrie

Surely you still think its a good idea to have a Japanese HPI done. I will repeat again NOT to get hung up on the grade, but as a general back ground check on the car ?

Do you not do one if someone is trying to sell or PX you an import car and they say they haven't got any previous paperwork or it never went through auction ?

It may just be me but I think it's Bat **** crazy to buy an import car without doing a check so you have a rough idea of its import condition and more importantly mileage

#35 ·
Barrie

Surely you still think its a good idea to have a Japanese HPI done. I will repeat again NOT to get hung up on the grade, but as a general back ground check on the car ?

Do you not do one if someone is trying to sell or PX you an import car and they say they haven't got any previous paperwork or it never went through auction ?

It may just be me but I think it's Bat **** crazy to buy an import car without doing a check so you have a rough idea of its import condition and more importantly mileage
yes uk hpi every car for finance/cat d cat c - which we dont take in what ever value

Jap ones 9 times out of 10 i know the cars , use my own judgement or use my guys in japan to pull up info if i have doubts.

#40 ·
As an outsider it's very obvious to see couple of members here, one in particular, have an issue with a particular trader and have purposely posted several of these kids of threads pretending to 'help the members', where as it's simple to see his agenda.

FWIW I did a lot of research before buying an import, and would only ever buy based on condition, regardless of the grade.
I walked away from a 'mint' grade 4 fresh import as my friend who viewed the car with me (who owns his own bodyshop) found 3 places on the car with a shed load of filler, badly repaired.

#41 · (Edited)
As an outsider it's very obvious
I fail to see what personal opinion of one another has in regards to grading / Japanese HPI?

It's a useful tool to have at a buyers disposal. Should it be taken as 100% fact, no but it's useful to gather as much information along with Japanese version of the HPI.

From a business point of view I can see why importers would state / claim there are floors in the grading / HPI system.

From a buyers point of view, the more information readily available can only be a positive surely?

From a private seller point of view, in my opinion having history going back years and years can only help the sale?

#47 ·
Being the owner of a fresh import grade R Evo VII, I can see both sides of this discussion/argument.
For me personally on one hand i'm glad a did the auction check as I was going to be the first keeper of the car over here, I didn't want something that had done 600,000,000km's through the block in Japan and then arrived here with the 138,000km's. I also didn't want something that had limped through the block in Japan, battered to bits and just been patched up on the boat and sold to me as "mint"
Mine was a grade R because of a slight damage to the nearside of the rear bumper which ever so slightly nudged the lower lip of the back panel and a couple of other age related minor imperfections here and there. The bumper was repaired. It also had a load of gauges on the dashboard which downgraded the interior slightly.
Now why I dislike all this Jap auction grade label malarkey is because in my care the car is in great condition, it drives spot on, it's solid underneath with no rust at all under there. I love it! So I would hope that when I come to sell it, I don't get people trying to knock the price down because of the "R" label for what I consider very minor imperfections.....
The man did his job correctly at the auction in Japan and now the car has had the issues addressed so there shouldn't be a "R" label problem if I come to sell it at some point should there? It's not the same as a cat D or similar over here, it's just a condition guide at one point in the cars life when it went through the block in Japan.

#50 ·
So you've built a knowledge based on people buying your cars for you?

Although think we are kind of going off topic slightly...

I agree with most as my first initial post on the thread I would not let a grade solely put me off buying a car however I do like the fact such information is available to the buyer to make a more informed judgement. Mainly on 'fresh' imports as if it's been in the U.K. For many years I'm sure most problems would of been rectified.

Obviously condition is priority but I do like when I look to buy a car you can trace the history back through paperwork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.