Aux belt tensioner bearing squeal repair - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 17-05-2019, 12:46   #1
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
Aux belt tensioner bearing squeal repair

Had the dreaded squeal from the aux belt tensioner and found this useful old thread but couldn't see the pictures. Decided to take some more while I did the bearing replacement and have since found a way to grab the OPs pictures so here you go. Hope it helps someone

A couple of tips:
I needed to persuade the old bearing with a hammer to get it moving and after that it could be squeezed out with the vice - as you can only get to the inner ring for extraction it will further damage it but not a problem of course. I didn't but in hind sight should of cleaned up around the bearing first to get rid of rust and crud and used some plusgas etc.

I ground down the outer race of the old bearing to use as a "punch" for the refit - this fits spot on and avoids damaging the seal/inner ring when squeezing it back in. Note OP picture below shows a large socket, I didn't have one the right size hence my workaround.

As in OP thread I heated up the idler in oil and cooled the bearing in the freezer then as quickly as possible got them together. I only have a cheap 4in vice and this was fine for the job.

I used a FAG 6203-C2HRS-C3 that has a good 17000rpm spec. The idler runs at twice engine rpm.

Original Koyo bearing:

Last edited by TrickyDick; 17-05-2019 at 12:53..
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
Phil2333 (17-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: