To Restore or Not! - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 13-07-2020, 14:51   #1
The Rock
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 tommy makinen Norris designs 500bhp
To Restore or Not!

Ive had my TME for about 12 years now and love it. Had it undersealed a few times and tuned by ND to just under 600hp. Its a road car, never been garaged and driven daily in all weather.

This year it failed its MOT on a bit of rust be the on one of the chassis legs. I got it welded and it passed! Being in lockdown I decided to have a look underneath and a poke about. Well, I wish I never started!!

I got a quote of about 5k for new chassis legs and an underbody restoration, my question is do I spend 5k on the car that now 20 years old, or should I put the money towards a newer EVO X ? Does anyone have any idea what a TME Evo 6 in white is worth these days, I see some advertised at over 30K. If they are really selling for that price maybe its worth investing in. The top half of the car is good btw, its just the underside. What do you think?

Also does anyone know where I can get some new door weather seals?

thanks
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2020, 15:22   #2
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
Ive had my TME for about 12 years now and love it. Had it undersealed a few times and tuned by ND to just under 600hp. Its a road car, never been garaged and driven daily in all weather.

This year it failed its MOT on a bit of rust be the on one of the chassis legs. I got it welded and it passed! Being in lockdown I decided to have a look underneath and a poke about. Well, I wish I never started!!

I got a quote of about 5k for new chassis legs and an underbody restoration, my question is do I spend 5k on the car that now 20 years old, or should I put the money towards a newer EVO X ? Does anyone have any idea what a TME Evo 6 in white is worth these days, I see some advertised at over 30K. If they are really selling for that price maybe its worth investing in. The top half of the car is good btw, its just the underside. What do you think?

thanks
All depends on how rotten it is. By what you have said it sounds quite far gone. Everything can be fixed but in my opinion to get £30k for a white mak it needs to be factory perfect.

Yours is a well modified example by the sounds of things but the repair bill could easy be 10k+. I've done the underside of my iv to a ok standard and even that has taken hundreds of hours and 8k plus. I know mines a much more undesirable model but it wouldn't be worth the financial spend.

If you decided to either sell cheap or break it you would probably come out better. Not that I like seeing these cars broken for bits etc.

The evo x's are a much different car but its all based on model choice etc

Probably the biggest questions are can you be bothered with the hassle?

Are you ready for a change?
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leeslancer8 For This Useful Post:
The Rock (13-07-2020)
Old 13-07-2020, 15:47   #3
Gazzor

Car: TME #36, Lancer 1800 RS, Libero GT estate
My Car
Sold my Mak after 12 years ownership for the same reason, had a few early evos, 1,2,&3 and a 9 and a x, I think you need to do some test drives but after 12 years the mak owes you nothing, chances are you will get £10K as it stands and maybe 20K if done up, if it was me I would sell, I loved the 9 but the x is so much more up to date, you need to try and drive one and see what you think but after 500BHP in a Mak most things are going to feel boring
Gazzor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gazzor For This Useful Post:
The Rock (13-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-2020, 16:09   #4
The Rock
Senior User

It's a hard call to make and I know once they start stripping it down to change the chassis legs the cost is bound to go up! Like you say it's probably going to be more like 8-10k! I have been offered an evo x final edition, its a 2015 model (not sold in the uk). I have never driven an Evo X, think Ill have to see about a test drive...
Know its going to be slow compared to the TME, so Ill have to call ND and see what cost is to bring it back up to 600hp
Old 13-07-2020, 16:32   #5
dreMR
Senior User

Pay to repair the mak or pay to tune the X lots of money to spend either way!
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 17:11   #6
Gazzor

My Car
Seems to be an awful lot of American owners who are getting huge power figures from the X without forging, I have got Ross Walkers (Rossports owner) old evo X, lots of handling drivetrain mods and a Tomei forged engine, I may be selling it as I have just lost my job and may need to get a sensible car to commute, whereabouts are you ?

Link to the ad he did for it... https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=586691
Old 13-07-2020, 17:54   #7
Andy1986
Senior User

Car: Evo 8 (260)
My Car
Are we talking holes through the floor bad?

A 600bhp TME must be a thrill to drive, sounds like you still enjoy that driving experience as you said you love it.
Andy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 23:16   #8
H18BY0
... now with more Bang :)

Car: [Red TME / Astra Mk3 / Hyundai i30 / VW T5.1]
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1986 View Post

A 600bhp TME must be a thrill to drive, sounds like you still enjoy that driving experience as you said you love it.
Yeah like The Flintstones?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:::::::::::::::::::::: Tommi Mäkinen ////////// Edition No.13 ::::::::::::::::::::::
Old 14-07-2020, 00:31   #9
The Rock
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1986 View Post

Its a dream to drive, so much fun! I could not be without my 600hp evo so am thinking I need to fix it anyway. It just passed its MOT, but it is quite bad. Its mainly the rear chassis legs, a couple of small spots in the floor pan have been welded already.

To be honest, pound for pound, in my opinion, EVO's are the best car in the world. If I was to compare it to other cars that I have considered buying to get similar performance (audi rs, AMG merc, BMW M series or nissan GTR) I would be spending more than double the price to get similar performance.

I have to consider that 5k to keep this car on the road and replace the chassis legs is peanuts really. Even if it goes up to 8-10k its still amazing value for a 600hp monster that has lasted me 12 years and been spot-on reliable.

It would be a shame to break it. I do love the evo X though, very tempted to have both but I don't think that will go down too well with the misses! Also would have to keep the evo x standard for a couple of years, having two 600hp evos is just greedy
Old 14-07-2020, 00:33   #10
The Rock
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzor View Post
Seems to be an awful lot of American owners who are getting huge power figures from the X without forging, I have got Ross Walkers (Rossports owner) old evo X, lots of handling drivetrain mods and a Tomei forged engine, I may be selling it as I have just lost my job and may need to get a sensible car to commute, whereabouts are you ?

Link to the ad he did for it... https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=586691
I like the look of the Evo x, I will do some research on what the standard engine can handle. I think Ross sport has sold his X now..
Old 14-07-2020, 07:56   #11
Sir Marcus
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 RS Sprint, JAM 2.3, AMS GT850R
My Car
Quote:

thanks
https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=589675
Sir Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:17   #12
Dave-Cee
Climate Changer

Car: MAD forged 2.2 IX FQ 340 PLG Leccy Bloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Marcus View Post
Can't see if not a member
Dave-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:45   #13
wizzzbang

Another option would be to pickup a fresh import E8 and swap the 600hp setup in to it. You would then have a TME rolling chassis and all the bits from the E8 to sell. It also means that going forward you will find parts are more readily available to maintain the E8.
wizzzbang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizzzbang For This Useful Post:
Silent_Scone (26-07-2020), The Rock (14-07-2020)
Old 14-07-2020, 13:37   #14
Gazzor

My Car
Quote:
I like the look of the Evo x, I will do some research on what the standard engine can handle. I think Ross sport has sold his X now..

I bought it and as I said I may need to sell, send me a message vis e-mail [email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to Gazzor For This Useful Post:
The Rock (14-07-2020)
Old 14-07-2020, 13:51   #15
edbowles86
Senior User

My Car
I have an evo v with the same issue...rear chassis legs are now gross and need replacing. I'm biting the bullet to do what I can to pay for it to get sorted as can't imagine not having an evo now and will be great to know it would get properly sorted underneath. Also, surely if you're sticking 600bhp out of your 6 already, you must have put in a fair bit of cash to get some nice parts so surely worth keeping and paying for the restoration?
edbowles86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: