Wheel but torque settings evo8 - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Tyres / Wheels

Old 25-07-2017, 14:44   #16
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron Watson View Post
Some people don't have access to them I am afraid.. I am old school, I have work laptop and do not own a PC and have not for over 10 years... So I can not open the manual....
If you have a laptop, and you access the MLR with it, then you can access the manuals. You can access the manuals with an I-phone, I-pad, Android phone etc. You don't need a PC.

Then there is the small fact that this question has been asked and answered numerous times, and all these threads are available to view if you search for them, or does your laptop not work for that either?

Quote:
I had to ask the same question about 6 weeks ago, but instead I asked a friend rather than posting on here to get abuse for "simple" questions...
Actually, the last time you asked, I told you of an App you can download to your I-phone to enable you to download and access the manuals. That's help in my book, not abuse.

Quote:
If its a stupid question, why reply!!
Because other members, such as Mike, may learn that the manuals are available on the MLR, for those that are willing to make the effort to access them. Amazingly enough, it's not all about you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-2017, 15:08   #17
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Clive - have you been hanging around with Aidy again. Go easy it's just the internets lolz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 17:25   #18
grants
Senior User

My Car
Isaac and his bloody apple

Lets get back to the real world where the wheel nut torque is 70 lbf ft !

grants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grants For This Useful Post:
Clivew (25-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 08:04   #19
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& '16 WRX STI & gen1.5 997 Turbo)
My Car
If you use copper slip or similar anti-seize lubricant on the stud threads - don't forget to reduce the torque slightly.

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:37   #20
robert12345
Senior User

My Car
DO NOT put copper slip on your wheel studs !!! Just put a wire brush over the studs to clean
robert12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:49   #21
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
If you're using alloy nuts on steel studs - DO put a small amount of copperslip or similar on the contact area to prevent sacrificial corrosion and seizing. Additionally, reduce the torque setting by a small amount because it takes less twist force to create the same clamp load when the threads are lubricated.

Cheerz

Mark H

The Following User Says Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 13:13   #22
robert12345
Senior User

My Car
Wheel but torque settings evo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
If you're using alloy nuts on steel studs - DO put a small amount of copperslip or similar on the contact area to prevent sacrificial corrosion and seizing. Additionally, reduce the torque setting by a small amount because it takes less twist force to create the same clamp load when the threads are lubricated.

Cheerz

Mark H

Why would you reduce your torque setting ?It should make no difference if you use lubricant or not .contact area? Do you mean on the thread or on the face of the hub where the wheel surface meets ?

I will edit my statement about the lubricated thread and torque setting
It will have a difference as you pointed out. But I would still recommend not using lubricant on studs or bolts just make sure they are cleaned with wire brush and torque to spec . Would only put copper slip around the wheel face contact with the hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by robert12345; 27-07-2017 at 13:52..
robert12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robert12345 For This Useful Post:
Rampant (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 13:14   #23
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:

Cheerz

Mark H
Even better, don't use alloy nuts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
Clivew (27-07-2017), davie-evo4 (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 20:09   #24
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert12345 View Post
Why would you reduce your torque setting ?It should make no difference if you use lubricant or not .contact area? Do you mean on the thread or on the face of the hub where the wheel surface meets ?

I will edit my statement about the lubricated thread and torque setting
It will have a difference as you pointed out. But I would still recommend not using lubricant on studs or bolts just make sure they are cleaned with wire brush and torque to spec . Would only put copper slip around the wheel face contact with the hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If using alloy nuts - and they're perfectly safe to use - you should really protect against sacrificial corrosion so the nuts don't seize onto the studs due to the chemical interaction between steel and aluminium alloy. A very light dab is all that's required between the threaded contacts. It sounds like you understand the principle of torque on nuts and bolts versus the clamp loads those nuts and bolts generate. A lubricated thread will turn more easily and torquing to "normal" levels puts increased stress in the thread area, which increases the risk of stripping threads and cracking nuts.

Cheerz

Mark H

Old 27-07-2017, 20:12   #25
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Nothing wrong with properly engineered alloy nuts. Even open ended ones are fine as long as they are of quality material. Internal drive open ended alloy nuts - such as Utralite ones - can even have a reinforced open end to prevent splitting.

Yours Aye

Mark H

Old 27-07-2017, 20:12   #26
davie-evo4
Regional Organiser

Car: A slow yin
My Car
Quote:
This ^^^

Tony Beets.....The Legend.
davie-evo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davie-evo4 For This Useful Post:
Rampant (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 22:17   #27
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie-evo4 View Post
This ^^^
Porsche has a history of using alloy wheel bolts on high end applications. Nothing wrong with them they're absolutely fine. Provided they're correct grade, etc. As already noted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
davie-evo4 (28-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 23:03   #28
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Nothing wrong with properly engineered alloy nuts. Even open ended ones are fine as long as they are of quality material. Internal drive open ended alloy nuts - such as Utralite ones - can even have a reinforced open end to prevent splitting.

Yours Aye

Mark H
I'm sure that's correct and not really my point. It never ceases to amaze me how even the most basic aspects of car maintenance are so badly understood and/or executed. Therefore, in the interests of keeping things as simple as possible it is helpful to have a "one size fits all" rule, which in this case I believe is single value torque setting ie of 110Nm. And as such would indicate the use of steel wheel nuts without the need to create the anti-sacrificial corrosion barrier in the form of something like copperslip.
Old 27-07-2017, 23:41   #29
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Quote:
Porsche has a history of using alloy wheel bolts on high end applications. Nothing wrong with them they're absolutely fine. Provided they're correct grade, etc. As already noted.
I know a few owners of 944's who changed to steel nuts due to the aluminium ones corroding and breaking. I don't think any motorsport regulation allows aluminium wheel nuts, and that's for a reason. They corrode, fatigue quicker, wear out quicker and are more likely to loosen due to differential expansion of the nut and stud. They also have a lower tensile strength compared to high tensile steel ones.

In reality, the issues are more to do with removing and fitting rather than them failing and the wheel falling off!

There are plenty of lightweight steel nuts available, so there really should be no need to use aluminium ones. There is no way on earth I'd use aluminium nuts, regardless of their spec, due to the issues I mentioned.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
kikiturbo (28-07-2017), plip1953 (28-07-2017), Rampant (28-07-2017)
Old 28-07-2017, 07:34   #30
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
And as such would indicate the use of steel wheel nuts without the need to create the anti-sacrificial corrosion barrier in the form of something like copperslip.
I always use copperslip because even the stock studs and nuts will corrode and the grease will allow for more precise torque on the nuts.. (sounds like BDSM po%n doesnt it.. hahaah)

kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Clivew (29-07-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: