6 speed shifts worse after clutch and new fluids - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 29-01-2020, 00:30   #1
LiquidTension

6 speed shifts worse after clutch and new fluids

Hi,

I had an Exedy OEM clutch and TTV racing flywheel fitted to my E9 GSR last year - mainly as a precaution before a remap as it was still on the original at 50k genuine miles. The car sees several track days per year but none before the work was completed (to my knowledge).

The shifts were pretty faultless hot or cold before the work was completed. After the parts were fitted, I am having to nurse the first 3 gears from cold (i.e. shift extremely slowly or clutch up in neutral between the gears) to avoid crunching. Once the fluid warms up the gearbox feels great again with the exception of fifth gear on the downshift - it doesnít crunch but there is a resistance which stops you selecting the gear and you have to pause a couple of seconds and try again.

Iím unsure what gearbox oil was in originally but I am using the recommended Millers CRX 75W90. I know the 6 speed boxes arenít the best to begin with and Iím not ruling out the condition of the synchros, but is there an alternative oil I can try which will still suit track work? I seem to remember checking the clutch pedal height as per the manual last year to rule this out - I believe it was within spec but I will check this again.

Many thanks
LiquidTension is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-01-2020, 21:50   #2
TimC
Senior User

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
I have personally had similar issues in my 5speed box with Millers.

I have Redline MT90 to try next which on here seems to have decent reviews for curing notchiness and difficult shifting.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:27   #3
hbkuk1
Senior User

My Car
Iíve tried hundreds of different oils in my Vr4 (same gearbox) and evo and I have found there all much the same I would say Castrol was probably the nicest when cold
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2020, 08:44   #4
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
I tried millers in my old 5 speed, didnt like it, went back to my usual oil, and the gear change went back to how it was previously

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:49   #5
JasonL91
Senior User

Car: Evo 9 GT Ruri Blue
The 5 speed in my GT also didnít get on with millers. Iíve run this for the past 3 years and never looked back. https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1022-re...il-75w-90.aspx
JasonL91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 13:04   #6
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
If I remember correctly, clivew commented on this in a post years ago, saying Millers oil is a very good spec gearbox oil, but the problems people face with it are usually on older boxes, or more worn boxes. In short the Millers offers good protection for a good box, but as they get older/worn, other oils like redline (iirc and was popular for older boxes) offered less protection from spec, but a better user experience from point of view of gear change feel

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 21:03   #7
Jakeh
Senior User

Car: 9 Wagon
I had my box refreshed and Millers was put in on that basis (and because that is what the servicer likes to use) - went straight back on the Motul next service, just so much better.
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:50   #8
LiquidTension

Thanks for the replies all.

So it sounds like the box is generally going to happier with a GL-4 spec oil in such as Redline MT90 but I wonder just how much of the GL-5 aspect of the Millers is going to prolonging the life of the 6 speed on track? I'm not harsh with it but I'm aware the weakness is usually stripping the teeth on fourth gear.

The difficulty shifting till the oil warms up I could live with for the sake of the better GL-5 protection but the "blocking" feeling trying to downshift into fifth gear does affect the drive.
LiquidTension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:26   #9
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTension View Post
Thanks for the replies all.

So it sounds like the box is generally going to happier with a GL-4 spec oil in such as Redline MT90 but I wonder just how much of the GL-5 aspect of the Millers is going to prolonging the life of the 6 speed on track? I'm not harsh with it but I'm aware the weakness is usually stripping the teeth on fourth gear.

The difficulty shifting till the oil warms up I could live with for the sake of the better GL-5 protection but the "blocking" feeling trying to downshift into fifth gear does affect the drive.
The breaking of 4th gear isn't really caused by oil grade, but more the inherent design (offset inner needle bearing) and large thrust clearance.

What trackwork does do is cause very high oil temps, and this does a lot of damage. A better oil such as the Millers will help reduce temps as it reduces friction compared to other oils.

If a box is built correctly, the Millers works fine in most cases. Some peoples issues are caused by driver error (bad syncronisation of gear lever movement to clutch pedal actuation or too fast gearchange), or worn/damaged internals. Some all of them.

I run Millers myself, and in 3 friends cars (75w90 and 75w140), 2 x 6 speed and 2 x 5 speed, and they are all smooth as silk, road and track.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
Evo Ali (04-02-2020), Evo6er (04-02-2020), Tom Dick (03-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 01:14   #10
Evo Ali
Senior User

Car: Ruri Blue Evo ix FQ320
My Car
Brilliant advice Clive
I use the same millers oil in my evo ix 6 speed gearbox recommend by yourself and its perfect, silky smooth as you say 👌
Evo Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evo Ali For This Useful Post:
Clivew (04-02-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: