Lancer Register Forum banner

So annoyed with myself.

5K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  gmf_uk 
#1 ·
It was a nice day yesterday so thought I would bring the Evo out the garage and let it run for a bit. Pulled it out the garage and sat in it while it idled to warm up. Temptation got just too much and decided to take it for a quick blast to the end of the road and back. Turned out the drive quick blast up to 30 and bang bonnet shot up onto the windscreen. I forgot to close the bonnet after removing the battery charger. :wallbang: Totally gutted. Any idea's if a good panel beater could fix it? The hinges are also bent so think I need some new ones. If so anyone recommend someone near Glasgow? If not anyone got a bonnet for sale preferably Canal Blue?

See less See more
#4 ·
Unlucky bud. Was going to take mines out yesterday but coz it was frosty and the roads salted I didn't bother.

Probably need another bonnet. Stick a wanted ad up see what's out there. Think member ChrisX might be able to help.

#8 ·
It is easily fixable. Any decent body shop can fix it. I could tell you how to do it yourself , if you feel that you want to give a try.

Marios

#18 ·
It is easily fixable. Any decent body shop can fix it. I could tell you how to do it yourself , if you feel that you want to give a try.

Marios
huh?....as in what?.....bend back the bonnet,add some filler,rub down and prime

So no skill involved then?....my bet it would look like an utter dogs dinner.

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear this mate. I've had similar (bad) experiences when the urge of awaking a hibernating car was too much and the excitement led to silly mistakes. I once forgot to remove the battery charger whilst backing out the garage and destroyed the whole unit - cost, £100. Another time was forgetting to remove the stoppers from the wheel (i.e. a brick), and although this didn't cause any damage it did lead to a rather scary noise when I was backing out. Another time I forgot to close the boot properly although this didn't cause damage apart from a rather 'enlarged' rear spoiler whilst cruising to the petrol station. :wallbang:

Take your time and use this as a chance to make improvements - carbon bonnet or a new one :thumbup:

#10 ·
What a nightmare. I dodged that bullet, I was so lucky. Was driving the TME on a dual carriageway and noticed the bonnet flapping a bit, it wasn't closed properly.

Costly mistake but at least it didn't lead to something more serious.

#14 ·
There are many reasons one should fix things. I will list a few of why I would fix it if it was my car.

-Fixing things is a good practice in itself.
-I personally like fixing and taking apart things.
-Save money.
-I have the skills to do so.
-This is also something that is easily repairable.
-I might not be able to afford a new or a second hand one.
-The other bonnet will also need to be resprayed, even if it is the same colour.
-I might not be able to a find another bonnet, or it might take some time before I do.
-This is minor damage to the bonnet, it is a shame to throw it away, just because one is not willing to take the time to take it to a bodyshop, if he cannot fix it himself.

The O.P could disregard the above and he is of course free to do whatever he wants.

Marios

#15 ·
That's an alluminium bonnet, looks to me as difficult job for even a skilled panel beater, and you need correct tools/equipment and materials, do it yourself would be an epic fail.

I see two options, 1) and probably the cheapest is a carbon bonnet, 2) used bonnet and required paintwork. Op needs to work it out.

#17 ·
Id only let a proper panel beater fix it...you could try yourself but...

1. can you fade out filler repairs?...are you ATA qualified?..do you know what grade sand paper to finish with to add primer?

2. can you shape aluminium and get the edges back spot on

3. Can you paint?....qualified?..do you have the equipment?

4. Can you realign the bonnet and get gaps perfect

5. Its not only the corner thats bent....looks like the alloy has bent/bubbled just after the corner.

So NO....i wouldnt fix it yourself.:D..if the answer is no to some of these questions

(im a panel beater of 25 years,senior ATA....and that is my opinion mate:thumbup:)

:thumbup::thumbup:

#22 · (Edited)
Carbon goodies are actually working on a carbon fibre bonnet for OEM V/VI fitment right now according to their recent thread otherwise? Whatever you decide, repair/replace will need paint matching in.

Working aluminium requires more experience too.

Real shame that though, feel for you.

#29 ·
This happened to me once expect I was doing100 mph
In fast lane of a 3lane motorway,bonnet flew up totally shattered entire windscreen and ben the roof down to within an inch or so of me head.brown trouser moment that was.sourced a new bonnet and roof and got it all fixed.3grand later was back on the road.

#30 ·
Thanks for all the comments. The bonnet was placed down gently after removing the trickle charger so it did not click down onto the secondary catch as I was not planning on driving it.
Keeping my eye online for a Canal blue bonnet as don't plan on putting it back on the road for the next few months but may get one painted if nothing comes up. Not a full member so can't see the parts for sale section so may have to splash out on a membership.

#33 · (Edited)
This is not about you...or what you can do....nor me...we can all sit here and boast what we can do. (or do for a living)

My questions were,how exactly would you tell him to do it.

"clamp bonnet edge and straighten with hammer and dolly" "without stretching/distorting the aluminium".... "then apply filler and rub down,getting all the swage lines perfect in filler".

??

How exactly does the guy do that!!!...with none/next to none experience...the bonnet needs repairing inside and out

By the time he has hired all the tools then he could have paid for someone experienced to fix it properly.....and then still has to have it primed and painted/blended.

If it was that easy then im wasting my time and career. Everyone can do it.:shake:

#34 · (Edited)
I did not say and I'm well aware this is not about you or me, and I don't boast. You addressed me, I answered back, that's all.

As for the O/P, I would give him my email, and guide him through each stem of the procedure in detail, from the removing of the bonnet all the way through to the time he would take the bonnet to be painted. And if he wanted to paint it himself, I would tell him how to create a diy "oven", if he had a backyard big enough, as we call it over here, place the bonnet in it and paint it, again through all the steps,sanding, primer, sanding, 2 coats of primer, 2-3 coats of paint, laquer etc.

I'm not in the habit of assuming what one can do or not, or what his skills are, but I will give him the chance to do so if he wants. Who knows he might be able to do it afterall, and even he does not it would be a good experience. It would have been up to him to decide so.

About the tools, renting some tools is not expensive over here, and it would be cheaper to do it himself than pay a bodyshop to do it for him over here. I'm not aware of what the labour costs are over there, or how much it would cost him to rent the tools, but that is again up to him to decide.

Marios

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.