So how much does it cost to charge an electric car ? - Page 4 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2020, 10:43   #46
evo baz
MLR Oldie
 
evo baz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At work probably - on the MLR though!
Car: NR built and mapped. CBRD BBK Full and Vipec power Evo 6.
My Car
Posts: 14,929
That looks superb Clive. Tesla performance is supposed to be incredible.

Do you know roughly what it costs you to charge it at home? What charger do you have?
evo baz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evo baz For This Useful Post:
Clivew (23-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 22-03-2020, 19:28   #47
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo baz View Post
That looks superb Clive. Tesla performance is supposed to be incredible.

Do you know roughly what it costs you to charge it at home? What charger do you have?
The performance isn’t bad TBH, the motors output 590bhp and 500lbs/ft, so 0-100mph is around 8 secs, and with the latest track mode V2, you can adjust power distribution to whatever you want (full rear wheel drive, or 60% rear, 40% front etc,etc), and stability control from fully off to fully on, or anything in between. More importantly, real world efficiency is superb, so costs to run equate to around 120mpg equivalent.

I’ve just returned from the Lake District, and real world range with the worst scenario, wet roads, high average speeds due to motorway the whole way and cold ambient temps (around 9 deg) resulted in a 260 mile range. The most I ever got out of my Evo driving off boost for the whole tank was around 230 miles. Range in decent conditions, non motorway are going to be around 300 miles.

So, charging at home at the moment I use the same charger we use for the Leaf, which we installed 5 years ago (£185 installed). It uses a type 1 plug, and I just use an adaptor to type 2 for the Tesla. I have a Tesla wall charger to install (£460), but I’ve got to uprate the house mainboard fuse to 100amps from 60amps to allow charging of both cars together. Charging out and about is with the Tesla superchargers most of the time, or I can use any other chargers. The Supercharger network makes it so easy to charge when on a journey and costs are around 24p per kWh. I’ve only used it a handful of times, but regularly see 120kW charging speed, so again real world, by the time I’ve gone to the toilet and drank half my coffee, it’s finished charging. On journeys that I took in my BMW, in the Tesla, the journey time has not increased at all. If I did need to wait for charging, I can watch Netflix or YouTube, surf the net, etc.

So, cost to charge at home is 13p per kWh, and the battery in the Tesla is 75kW, so from fully empty to fully charged would cost around £10. In respect to the Leaf, it’s very slightly less efficient than the Tesla, and doing 1200 miles a month costs approx £40. In 5 years and 60k miles of ownership, apart from electric, running costs have been ZERO. No road tax, no servicing, nothing gone wrong, 25% brake pad wear after 60k.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 23-03-2020 at 10:36..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
evo baz (22-03-2020), Mita (22-03-2020), peeler (22-03-2020), Tom Dick (26-03-2020)
Old 22-03-2020, 19:51   #48
Mita
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,599
Wow, this is very impressive Clive.

Sounds superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
The performance isnít bad TBH, the motors output 590bhp and 500lbs/ft, so 0-100mph is around 8 secs, and with the latest track mode V2, you can adjust power distribution to whatever you want (full rear wheel drive, or 60% rear, 40% front etc,etc), and stability control from fully off to fully on, or anything in between. More importantly, real world efficiency is superb, so costs to run equate to around 120mpg equivalent.

Iíve just returned from the Lake District, and real world range, with the worst scenario, wet roads, high average speeds due to motorway the whole way and cold ambient temps (around 9 deg) resulted in a 260 mile range. The most I ever got out of my Evo driving off boost for the whole tank was around 230 miles. Range in decent conditions, non motorway are going to be around 300 miles.

So, charging at home at the moment I use the same charger we use for the Leaf, which we installed 5 years ago (£185 installed). It uses a type 1 plug, and I just use an adaptor to type 2 for the Tesla. I have a Tesla wall charger to install (£460), but Iíve got to uprate the house mainboard fuse to 100amps from 60amps to allow charging of both cars together. Charging out and about is with the Tesla superchargers most of the time, or I can use any other chargers. The Supercharger network makes it so easy to charge when on a journey and costs are around 24p per kWh. Iíve only used it a handful of times, but regularly see 120kW charging speed, so again real world, by the time Iíve gone to the toilet and drank half my coffee, itís finished charging. On journeys that I took in my BMW, in the Tesla, the journey time has not increased at all. If I did need to wait for charging, I can watch Netflix or YouTube, surf the net, etc.

So, cost to charge at home is 13p per kWh, and the battery in the Tesla is 75kW, so from fully empty to fully charged would cost around £10. In respect to the Leaf, itís very slightly less efficient than the Tesla, and doing 1200 miles a month costs approx £40. In 5 years and 60k miles of ownership, apart from electric, running costs have been ZERO. No road tax, no servicing, nothing gone wrong, 25% brake wear after 60k.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Clivew (26-03-2020)
Old 22-03-2020, 19:56   #49
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
Public charging is the hidden killer, can be 40p/kWh or more. You're talking £30 for a full charge on the Model 3.

Those prices make it roughly the same cost to run as your average Diesel.
On a recent 600 mile return journey using only Superchargers, my running costs were 80mpg equivalent. Now I donít know what Diesel car you run to give a real world 80mpg, but my last car had a very efficient engine and did 40mpg average. So, double the cost compared to the worst case in the Tesla.

The thing is, when you have actual experience running an EV, and donít get your Ďfactsí from the Daily Mail, you find that most of the time, you charge at home.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 11:06   #50
r3k1355
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 300
Superchargers are what? 20p/kWh? Plus you get some free charge credits every year?

Other private charge networks are not so generous, like a I said 40p or more, some were close to 50p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
The thing is, when you have actual experience running an EV, and don’t get your ‘facts’ from the Daily Mail, you find that most of the time, you charge at home.
Nice if you've got somewhere to install a charge point, which many people in the UK obviously don't have.

I guess if you're driving a Tesla you've probably got the income to afford a house with off-road parking.

Last edited by r3k1355; 24-03-2020 at 11:07..
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 11:37   #51
grants
Senior User
 
grants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
My Car
Posts: 9,319
Have a look at https://www.zap-map.com/

Lots of good information

Use the App for pricing and comments

grants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grants For This Useful Post:
evo baz (24-03-2020)
Old 25-03-2020, 11:44   #52
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
Superchargers are what? 20p/kWh? Plus you get some free charge credits every year?

Other private charge networks are not so generous, like a I said 40p or more, some were close to 50p.
We've run a Nissan Leaf for 5 years and 60k miles (which we bought second hand for £14k), and most of the rapid charging away from the house has been free. Free at all Nissan dealerships, and most chargers at service stations. We did a 500 mile round trip to Devon and it cost us 50p.

You see, actual real world experience.

How long have you run an electric car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
Nice if you've got somewhere to install a charge point, which many people in the UK obviously don't have.

I guess if you're driving a Tesla you've probably got the income to afford a house with off-road parking.
There are many companies developing solutions to charging whilst parked on road. Even if you can't charge at your house, there are still other ways to charge and operate an EV if you make the effort.

I understand some people are scared of any change, so will try and find many ways of justifying to themselves and others how crap it is, and 99.9% of those have absolutely zero hands on experience with EV's.

I'm a total petrol head, and an engineer, and buying the Leaf 5 years ago was a great decision. It's just a great everyday car, and the wife absolutely loves it, as do I.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 25-03-2020 at 13:21..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:45   #53
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
Have a look at https://www.zap-map.com/

Lots of good information

Use the App for pricing and comments



Yep, been using that for years. It's a great App.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 18:36   #54
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
We did a 500 mile round trip to Devon and it cost us 50p.
Exactly, it cost *you* 50p. I'm not denying it's good value now, but when everyone has electric cars (the government are making sure that will happen) it's going to be way, way different. Not only will all the free charging no longer be a thing, but the electric phase of cars is no different to diesel. Government says it is "better", tempts people onto the bandwagon by lower prices etc, the second everyone is in a diesel car and they "find out" it's actually crap for the environment, out come the sky high prices and punitive taxes.

When we're all in electric and the effects of all that power generation on the environment, and its general detriment to the grid in general, become "apparent", not to mention the creation and disposal of the batteries etc, then out come the sky high prices and the punitive taxes.

Rinse and repeat.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 18:59   #55
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Exactly, it cost *you* 50p. I'm not denying it's good value now, but when everyone has electric cars (the government are making sure that will happen) it's going to be way, way different. Not only will all the free charging no longer be a thing, but the electric phase of cars is no different to diesel. Government says it is "better", tempts people onto the bandwagon by lower prices etc, the second everyone is in a diesel car and they "find out" it's actually crap for the environment, out come the sky high prices and punitive taxes.

When we're all in electric and the effects of all that power generation on the environment, and its general detriment to the grid in general, become "apparent", not to mention the creation and disposal of the batteries etc, then out come the sky high prices and the punitive taxes.

Rinse and repeat.
Yeah, it cost *me* 50p

I charged at Nissan before I left, popped into another Nissan garage on the way down for another free charge, and charged at my parents whilst I was there. I gave my Dad 50p towards his bill.

Once I have my solar panel install complete, and my home battery pack, with the Zappi charger, I can store energy into the battery throughout the day, get paid to use electricity at night when they are producing too much which I will store into the home battery, and charge the car when I have excess. So youíre right, it will be way, way different, and even cheaper for me.

Of course for those like you who are way behind the curve, get all your info from the Daily Mail, and understand very little, yep, youíll get shafted.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 19:28   #56
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
I can store energy into the battery throughout the day, get paid to use electricity at night when they are producing too much
You know that scam has already been discredited, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
So youíre right, it will be way, way different, and even cheaper for me.
Because when everyone is using "free electricity" (solar has been around for ages, why isn't everyone using "free electricity" now? Gee....I wonder why....I mean, I guess there must be a reason that I just don't understand because I read The Daily Mail) the government is going to just give up all the fuel taxes it gets currently. Come on Clive, you're old enough to have seen this all played out before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
Of course for those like you who are way behind the curve, get all your info from the Daily Mail, and understand very little, yep, youíll get shafted.
Bless when you have to resort to ad hominem fallacies because you have no actual arguments.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 20:52   #57
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
You know that scam has already been discredited, right?
Which is why two of my friends are being paid via Octupus energy.

https://octopus.energy/agile/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
(solar has been around for ages, why isn't everyone using "free electricity" now? Gee....I wonder why....I mean, I guess there must be a reason that I just don't understand because I read The Daily Mail.
Because the majority of the population are like you, backward thinkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Gee....the government is going to just give up all the fuel taxes it gets currently.
That’s alright, there will be plenty of people like you paying fuel taxes for years yet, so I will get my free electricity for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Bless when you have to resort to ad hominem fallacies because you have no actual arguments.
I’m not arguing, I’m just telling you how it is for me, and you can’t seem to handle it. It’s not my fault you get shafted by high road tax, massive fuel duty, high service costs, etc, etc, in your slow, inefficient car.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 25-03-2020 at 21:02..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 21:42   #58
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
Which is why two of my friends are being paid via Octupus energy.

https://octopus.energy/agile/
Those schemes are nothing new. There's a reason we don't all have solar panels. I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised you're naive to think you've stumbled on some kind of new, secret thing here. Also when we all have electric cars and the energy demand is far greater than it is now then the financials tip away from you even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
Because the majority of the population are like you, backward thinkers.

That’s alright, there will be plenty of people like you paying fuel taxes for years yet, so I will get my free electricity for years to come.

I’m not arguing, I’m just telling you how it is for me, and you can’t seem to handle it. It’s not my fault you get shafted by high road tax, massive fuel duty, high service costs, etc, etc, in your slow, inefficient car.
why you so defensive? All I said was that electric cars are cheaper *now* because we don't all have them, but when we do all have them the costs are going to go up. There will be no free charges, if you want to charge at home there'll be taxes on that, road tax for electric cars will raise and so on. I don't think that's a particularly controversial thing to say, it's kinda common sense, I don't know why you're so upset over it.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:13   #59
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics
 
Clivew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Bedford
Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Those schemes are nothing new. There's a reason we don't all have solar panels. I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised you're naive to think you've stumbled on some kind of new, secret thing here. Also when we all have electric cars and the energy demand is far greater than it is now then the financials tip away from you even more.
Who said I had stumbled on anything new? I was just posting facts.

You said it was a scam, and now you say it's nothing new. You are just full of bull-5hit, and you've been called out on your lies.

All you are doing is guessing what will happen in the future, as though it is a fact. You are obviously arrogant enough to think you can predict the future, and use that in your 'argument'


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
why you so defensive? All I said was that electric cars are cheaper *now* because we don't all have them, but when we do all have them the costs are going to go up. There will be no free charges, if you want to charge at home there'll be taxes on that, road tax for electric cars will raise and so on. I don't think that's a particularly controversial thing to say, it's kinda common sense, I don't know why you're so upset over it.
This thread was started by the OP, to ask about costs to charge an EV.

You have no actual experience of this, so you come onto the thread predicting the future like it's a fact, and you're still doing it here. You've been proven to post BS about the here and now (as above), but want us to believe and argue with what you're saying as if it's a reality.

This thread is not about discussing what may or may not happen in the future, it's about real world costs now.

The facts are, early adopters to EV's are winning big time in regards to running costs, compared to running costs of ICE vehicles.
__________________
[email protected]

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 26-03-2020 at 10:15..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
evo baz (26-03-2020)
Old 26-03-2020, 11:36   #60
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivew View Post
Who said I had stumbled on anything new? I was just posting facts.

You said it was a scam, and now you say it's nothing new. You are just full of bull-5hit, and you've been called out on your lies.

All you are doing is guessing what will happen in the future, as though it is a fact. You are obviously arrogant enough to think you can predict the future, and use that in your 'argument'




This thread was started by the OP, to ask about costs to charge an EV.

You have no actual experience of this, so you come onto the thread predicting the future like it's a fact, and you're still doing it here. You've been proven to post BS about the here and now (as above), but want us to believe and argue with what you're saying as if it's a reality.

This thread is not about discussing what may or may not happen in the future, it's about real world costs now.

The facts are, early adopters to EV's are winning big time in regards to running costs, compared to running costs of ICE vehicles.
Ok boomer.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 22:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.