Madmac Motorsport's Twincharged Evo 5 - Page 159 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.24 average. Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 19:01   #2371
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Good to hear she's back together. Space framing her will be a big job - good stuff!
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 15:11   #2372
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

Car: Evo 5 850hp Hillclimb twincharger & Manual Legnum VR4 Type S
My Car
I've spent a bit of time upgrading the supercharger belt drive to minimise the chances of the belt breaking and getting under the timing belt again. I've moved away from the HTD and now using a poly-Chain carbon belt. This meant having to get new pulleys made, and a wee delay for the dyno

We're off to the dyno soon. I'll update when I have some news
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Madmac For This Useful Post:
GUM EVO (03-03-2020), johnd (04-03-2020), leeslancer8 (03-03-2020), McGoo60 (03-03-2020), Mita (03-03-2020), Mr Ralliart (03-03-2020), Realbadman (04-03-2020), Tom Dick (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 19:12   #2373
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
Canít believe itís nearly 10 years since your first post!
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 20:10   #2374
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dick View Post
Canít believe itís nearly 10 years since your first post!
It's been almost 5 years since the first engine let go at Harewood!
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:42   #2375
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

My Car
That's the initial dyno session complete, 1000 mile trip to RE Performance, all good

Still a bit of work to do later in the year when I'll be back to play with supercharger drive ratios.

800Hp, 800Nm at 4200rpm. The torque line is pretty much flat from 4200 to 7600rpm. I didn't want to push for massive figures so settled at 800hp - more than enough for our hillclimbs and the spread of power and torque should be interesting to drive.

A fuel pressure sensor failed and another crack appeared in the plenum (repaired at the time) so I have her apart again to will re-weld the entire plenum. It's now 15 years old and is suffering fatigue. I can't afford to be replacing it for now. The new belt drive was faultless and the supercharger drive cushion modification held up fine.

I hope to get to a test day on Friday to get some much needed seat time and setup the chassis again because I'm going back to Avon slicks again.

So far so good

Huge thanks to Ricky Elder again for his time and expertise with the setup and mapping. The bypass control has ended up being better than we hoped. There's no drop in boost on changeover between the supercharger and turbo under all throttle conditions. Can't wait to drive her
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Madmac For This Useful Post:
evo baz (09-03-2020), evo5d (09-03-2020), leeslancer8 (09-03-2020), Mita (09-03-2020), Mr Ralliart (09-03-2020), strange_days_uk (01-05-2020), willox (09-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 16:49   #2376
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

My Car
Having to GLF to get Tiddles ready for Friday but getting there. She's stood up well to the punishment of the dyno work. I've re-welded the entire plenum and changed the supercharger oil. The new drive cushion has solved the problem of the standard cushion melting through the dyno work but as I expected, the oil is contaminating quickly.

I realised yesterday I had 3 front bumpers and all of them were broken so I've repaired the original bumper back in the mould as a stop-gap until I make another new one

Just the geometry to setup and replace the GPS antenna on the Video V-box

I still have the Avons I was using at Harewoood when the engine blew in 2015 so it would be rude not to get rid of them on Friday. The surface has turned purple so I expect they won't be very good
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madmac For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (11-03-2020), Sider (11-03-2020), Tom Dick (11-03-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:01   #2377
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

My Car
Sorry never got round to updating after the test day. Happy to report everything worked as expected, she went well, no issues at all

Shame there's no events to attend this year.

Since lockdown I've decorated the entire house, new flooring throughout, all lighting updated, garden paths relaid. I'm now working on the camaro

Since there's not much twincharger news, I'll post up some camaro stuff as I go. So far I've removed the badly made ladder bar setup, fabricated new forward mounts for a 4 link, made and fitted the links and crossbar. There was a panhard rod as part of the ladder bar setup. I could have left that in place however I decided to use a single diagonal to stop lateral axle movement.

Jobs on the list - new low ratio steering box, power assisted. Rear drum to disc conversion, new flywheel and clutch cover due to vibration, and convert the clutch from rod to hydraulic operation. I have new chrome headers which will go on when I do the engine and steering work. Then fabricate a new exhaust with diverter valve

That lot should make her safe to drive for now. I'll be installing a complete new wiring loom when funds allow. Theres a ton of wiring issues that may or may not get resolved easily.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Madmac For This Useful Post:
evo5d (02-05-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: