4g63 evo 6 dropped valve. - Page 5 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 08-04-2013, 19:44   #61
Mode-x

Car: Evo 6 GSR
My Car

Last edited by Mode-x; 08-04-2013 at 19:45..
Mode-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 21:13   #62
2+barplease
Senior User

Car: RVR Evo 6.5 2.0 L/R by Norris Designs
That's ****ed mate
Mode-x (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 15:27   #63
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+barplease View Post
That's ****ed mate
I guessed so ..... new pistons it is then
Advertisement

Old 14-04-2013, 15:27   #64
Mode-x

My Car
Just a quick update on here.... had a friend help out and managed to remove the piston which was completly screwed. Bores checked and new pistons gone in woohoo!! The cylinder head has been rebuilt just waiting on an engine gasket kit now.

Did replace the balance belt today too which was a lot easier than I first thought thanks to afew YouTube videos and the manual will post some pics once it stops raining again.
Old 18-04-2013, 09:02   #65
Tim Radley
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode-x View Post
Just a quick update on here.... had a friend help out and managed to remove the piston which was completly screwed. Bores checked and new pistons gone in woohoo!! The cylinder head has been rebuilt just waiting on an engine gasket kit now.

Did replace the balance belt today too which was a lot easier than I first thought thanks to afew YouTube videos and the manual will post some pics once it stops raining again.
Did you photo the bore? I can't believe its not damaged.

New valves? You sure the combustion chamber was crack free? How were the valve guides, they normally break when a valve goes as they are crap anyway.
Tim Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 09:06   #66
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Did you photo the bore? I can't believe its not damaged.

New valves? You sure the combustion chamber was crack free? How were the valve guides, they normally break when a valve goes as they are crap anyway.
I didn't photo the bore took it to a tuning place they had it and said it was fine :S

Yes new valves and cylinder head and seals retainers and oil seals.

Yeah the valve stems did break on the old one.
Old 20-04-2013, 09:07   #67
Tim Radley
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
I didn't photo the bore took it to a tuning place they had it and said it was fine :S

Yes new valves and cylinder head and seals retainers and oil seals.

Yeah the valve stems did break on the old one.
Ah right i didn't see the new head part.
Which tuning place? I'm in Gloucester just wondered who it was.
Tim Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:26   #68
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Ah right i didn't see the new head part.
Which tuning place? I'm in Gloucester just wondered who it was.
Thats ok lol. I think it was tancho spoke to them on and off about differ t parts but I never took it my helping hand did but they wouldn't of checked it would of bee someone they know (he works with engines and had the little measiring tools etc. So I could get right rings etc.)
Old 20-04-2013, 10:34   #69
stevov
Senior User

Car: EVO 5
My Car
Quote:
Yes belt cover is off, tension on the belt is not quite as tight as it should be so possible it may have jumped. Although the belt is sound no streaching or signs of wear was put on new last year and only done 1000miles if that. I will look into checking the timing there are dots on the cam cog parts wherethe belt goes and they are aligned so I presume they are there to aid in timing and should be aligned as they are.

What am I looking for or feeling by turning by hand?
Quote:
I will check the balance belt too, I did have this changed not long after the cam belt (1000 or so milesago) as this belt did snap and damaged the crank angle position sensor which was replaced.... alaso changed the cam sensor at the same time.
But will have a check while im on it all.
this confuses me. if i read it correctly you had the cambelt changed without changing the balance belt. the balance belt subsquently snapped damaging the crank sensor so you then changed the balance belt and from the sounds of it reused the timing belt. why would you change a timing belt and not the balance belt in the first place is beyond my understanding. who did this and why. this to me is probably why your engine is now in the nic its in.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:41   #70
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
this confuses me. if i read it correctly you had the cambelt changed without changing the balance belt. the balance belt subsquently snapped damaging the crank sensor so you then changed the balance belt and from the sounds of it reused the timing belt. why would you change a timing belt and not the balance belt in the first place is beyond my understanding. who did this and why. this to me is probably why your engine is now in the nic its in.
It was a friend of a friend that did the timing belt, as I didn't really have a clue about the engine until having this issue and attempting a rebuild.
It does seem that either both belts shouldnof been done at the same time or new timing belt when balance belt snapped I agree whole heartedly now I know a bit more about it all.
So yes this does seem to be why its so screwed now .....
Old 20-04-2013, 11:32   #71
paul.

Car: 480hp E8, Audi A3 2.0tdi DSG daily
My Car
Is this thread a p!ss take or is my hangover starting to kick in
paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:41   #72
stevov
Senior User

Car: EVO 5
My Car
Quote:
It was a friend of a friend that did the timing belt, as I didn't really have a clue about the engine until having this issue and attempting a rebuild.
It does seem that either both belts shouldnof been done at the same time or new timing belt when balance belt snapped I agree whole heartedly now I know a bit more about it all.
So yes this does seem to be why its so screwed now .....
sadly it appears your friend of a friend didn't have a clue either and given the results so far i would at least recommend you have someone knowledgeable do the timing belt install.Pictures and books don't replace 10,20,30 years of hands on experience. add up what the 200 £ you saved on the timing belt install just cost you. maybe your friend of a friend will help pay for it all. hope it all comes good in the end
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:13   #73
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
sadly it appears your friend of a friend didn't have a clue either and given the results so far i would at least recommend you have someone knowledgeable do the timing belt install.Pictures and books don't replace 10,20,30 years of hands on experience. add up what the 200 £ you saved on the timing belt install just cost you. maybe your friend of a friend will help pay for it all. hope it all comes good in the end
I'd still like to do it myself (have to start somewhere right?) Worst case I screw it up and same thing happens then new block I guess. I appreciate wwhats ypur saying there im going to have a go its all a fantastic way of learning for me
Old 21-04-2013, 12:32   #74
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Quote:
Quote:
I'd still like to do it myself (have to start somewhere right?) Worst case I screw it up and same thing happens then new block I guess. I appreciate wwhats ypur saying there im going to have a go its all a fantastic way of learning for me
I agree with stevov, there are plenty of jobs that are good for hands on experience, but the timing belt is 1 that you really need to know what you are doing, there are so many easy mistakes that can be made, all resulting in a new engine. I am all for having a go, and have a good understanding, as well as 20 years on and off experience working in all sorts of cars, but, of all the jobs that you could be learning on the go, cambelt isn't 1 of them, it should only be undertaken supervised the first few times, and for an evo, ideally by someone with evo experience, as, over the years you see many posts where general mechanics have mucked up an evo cambelt job

If you are determined to do it yourself, my advise is research on here, both the way to set the tension, and the more common mistake, setting the balance shaft, the balance shaft sprocket can be a full rotation out, hence what appears simple, is often done wrong, resulting in the whole job having to be redone

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:45   #75
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
I agree stevov, there are plenty of jobs that are good for hands on experience, but the timing belt is 1 that you really need to know what you are doing, there are so many easy mistakes that can be made, all resulting in a new engine. I am all for having a go, and have a good understanding, as well as 20 years on and off experience working in all sorts of cars, but, of all the jobs that you could be learning on the go, cambelt isn't 1 of them, it should only be undertaken supervised the first few times, and for an evo, ideally by someone with evo experience, as, over the years you see many posts where general mechanics have mucked up an evo cambelt job

If you are determined to do it yourself, my advise is research on here, both the way to set the tension, and the more common mistake, setting the balance shaft, the balance shaft sprocket can be a full rotation out, hence what appears simple, is often done wrong, resulting in the whole job having to be redone

Stu
Thank you stu, I have been watching no end of videos etc. Showing the belt install and your right there are a couple of rotation for balance shaft and oil sprocket. I have seen how to se it correctly for TDC.
I have made sure I have the correct tools (long tensioner tool for the hydralic tensioner, the pully tool and a 1/2" drive for the spring loaded aux belt tensioner. )

I will keep refering to videos and the manual during the install, and move the crank or walk it quite a few times by hand to make sure everything lines up where it should do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: