4g63 evo 6 dropped valve. - Page 4 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 04-04-2013, 21:13   #46
Mode-x

Car: Evo 6 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksyVI View Post
I had a similar issue, decided to do it myself as I can fully forge it for the price of a replacement engine.
I've done loads of head work but never a full build and its great to learn about the engine.
Hardest part was getting it out, apart from that label where EVERY bolt comes from and its self explanatory. You tube, the manuals torque settings and this site are as good as being a fully trained mechanic in my opinion!

Only thing I've needed help with is a rebore from the machine shop
Some very valuable advice there! As I started Most of my bolts have gone to envelopes with my own little diagrams so I know where to put them back. Since getting further than my comfort zone(past taking the radiator out for access and the rocker cover) my engine bay is now coveres with tape and labels for everything so I know where to put it back lol.

I have no crane or anything like that so very difficult getting it out (heavy awkward pieces)

Im just very constrained with time work 12 hour shifts in 7day blocks so hard to find time to actually work on it but definitely pleased im doing it my self. And yes all those sources = very helpful.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 21:16   #47
sbn1979
Hi

Car: Evo 6 Tommi Mak
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode-x View Post
Will do, I will strain through a white shirt to catch it all and see if I can cut it open when I got it off
try not to saw it open but snip it open
sbn1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 21:25   #48
BrooksyVI

Car: EVO VI
where are you located, I'm sure there is a helpful MLR user nearby that will loan a hoist?

I had pieces of cardboard with lifesize drawings of the engine and the bolts pushed through that, helped no end!

I feel your pain on the shift work, I'm in the same boat and I haven't a garage so its all doneboutside when its not raining (those rare occasions)
BrooksyVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 21:28   #49
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn1979 View Post
try not to saw it open but snip it open
Yeah just reduce the amount of shavings and debris as much as possible.
Old 04-04-2013, 21:29   #50
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
where are you located, I'm sure there is a helpful MLR user nearby that will loan a hoist?

I had pieces of cardboard with lifesize drawings of the engine and the bolts pushed through that, helped no end!

I feel your pain on the shift work, I'm in the same boat and I haven't a garage so its all doneboutside when its not raining (those rare occasions)
Im in Gloucester?? Haha my car work gets done the same on the driveway outside on dry days when I have the time off.
Old 04-04-2013, 21:33   #51
sbn1979
Hi

Car: Evo 6 Tommi Mak
My Car
FCM are down that way
sbn1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 21:37   #52
BrooksyVI

Shame, I'm in Essex and you could of borrowed mine. I'd of even lent a hand, not that its worth much!
Old 04-04-2013, 21:41   #53
Mode-x

My Car
Fcm motorsport in Bristol? Would it be cheaper just to buy a basic second hand crane rather than rent or borrow one bearing in mind it could be a couple of weeks between my free days?
Old 04-04-2013, 21:48   #54
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Shame, I'm in Essex and you could of borrowed mine. I'd of even lent a hand, not that its worth much!
I was meant to have a friend to help out but got let down, it's still nice to know people are there to help out if needed everyones help is very much appreciated.
BrooksyVI (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 22:00   #55
BrooksyVI

Mine was new on ebay, 2 ton for £100, its paid for it self in 2 years as friends have borrowed it for beer money.
Old 04-04-2013, 22:45   #56
toqeer1986

im building a forged engine complete strip down not my 1st time as I've built engines before if you want I can build it for you but you'd have to bring it down here lol I don't have a car on road myself. pm me if you need help
toqeer1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 23:09   #57
newt888

My Car
Turn engine around till the damaged piston is at the bottom of stroke , wipe down the bore with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner or a general degreaser, any dents , marks or scores then need to be inspected by someone who knows what their doing, I'm sure if you check this and you take some nice hi res pics of the bore you will get opinions on here any marks should need to be checked!
You may be lucky and the valve heads have not killed the bore
So a new piston , maybe even just a second hand complete rod , and the relevant work envolved in doing this and you may be luck and just need a head
Obviously sumps gotta come off and if no materials have passed into oil you may be lucky
But as people have mentioned , you have to weigh up all the costs and if you can get an engine for right money that a good option
Don't forget new cam belts etc as you shouldn't retention them
Ask lots of questions and check everything along the way
If your in doubt , don't do it
I built my first engine years ago and have built a wide range since then, however I would not call my self an expert and any work I'm unhappy about doing I'll sub out to a engine builder / machine shop to do that specific section of the job
newt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:06   #58
Mode-x

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt888 View Post
Turn engine around till the damaged piston is at the bottom of stroke , wipe down the bore with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner or a general degreaser, any dents , marks or scores then need to be inspected by someone who knows what their doing, I'm sure if you check this and you take some nice hi res pics of the bore you will get opinions on here any marks should need to be checked!
You may be lucky and the valve heads have not killed the bore
So a new piston , maybe even just a second hand complete rod , and the relevant work envolved in doing this and you may be luck and just need a head
Obviously sumps gotta come off and if no materials have passed into oil you may be lucky
But as people have mentioned , you have to weigh up all the costs and if you can get an engine for right money that a good option
Don't forget new cam belts etc as you shouldn't retention them
Ask lots of questions and check everything along the way
If your in doubt , don't do it
I built my first engine years ago and have built a wide range since then, however I would not call my self an expert and any work I'm unhappy about doing I'll sub out to a engine builder / machine shop to do that specific section of the job
Awesome post there, I have belts ready to go back on well aware I can't reuse the old ones plus my aux belt was due a replacement anyway

Im definitely checking out all options as I go along .... I been in doubt weather to attempt this so farbbut all seems to have gone well so far keeping to the manual and videos I've seen makes it loadseasier. On the hunt for a crane now but will also clear the debris from piston and clean and post pics like you said thank you.
Old 05-04-2013, 20:28   #59
Mode-x

My Car
Fingers crossed crane and engine stand this weekend so I can work over next weekend
Old 08-04-2013, 19:43   #60
Mode-x

My Car
Got crane and stand today just need chains to lift out with...... I have drained oil and chexked for debris there are a few pieces that look like stones really was too dark for a decent picture.

I checked the bores and all seem as smooth as each other I saw a video or two describing how to check for scoring etc. (Use fingernail and or a pin) all seem smooth.

I have heard that the pistons can be reused with pitting / damage as long as there not cracked?? I know everyone will say a big NO to this however, is it possible? I have a pic of the damaged piston will post in a sec I read a few places that if the sharp edges are smoothed it should be ok to use?

Any feed back please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: