need advice-faulty tyres - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Tyres / Wheels

Old 14-02-2010, 11:30   #1
steve.w

Car: yellow ix fq340
need advice-faulty tyres

i would really appreciate a bit of advice from anyone in the tyre trade or anyone who's had a similar problem to me.my problem is as follows.....

i bought a set of federal tyres(1st and last cheapies i will ever buy!) for the evo a while back and have had nothing but trouble with them since.one of the tyres is losing around 5-7 lb of pressure a week and all four tyres wont stay balanced.they balance up fine but after a couple of weeks driving a vibration on the steering wheel at 60-70mph keeps returning,take wheels off to check and all four wheels are way out of balance again.the tyres are on a brand new set of rota force alloys,one of the wheels has a slight flat spot which i keep on the rear of the car and the other 3 are fine so can't see it being the wheels.
now,the main problem is my supplier claims that in order to get a refund i will have to buy another set of tyres and send the federals off to the manufacturer for testing.although they are claiming they are sent to an independant testing place where they undergo lots of different tests which results in them being cut up into pieces......and if they deem them not to be at fault i'm left out of pocket the full cost of a set of tyres.

is there anybody on here that works in the tyre trade that could confirm whether this is the procedure or not?
its just i find it unacceptable to be refered to an independant tester and risk ending up out of pocket.surely they would have to go back to the manufacturer,although that is not in accordance with the sale of goods act either?
to be honest i feel like i'm just being fobbed off by my supplier and would like some opinions from others who've had this problem or anyone who works in the trade.
interestingly,i found this after a quick google on federal tyres.check the replies from 'peanut' and 'truckno1' near the bottom of page....

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=54716

any advice would be greatly welcome as i think i'm going to end up at trading standards on this one
steve.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-02-2010, 11:39   #2
starkers
Regional Organiser

Car: 2L Forged, GT30, Self Mapped Apexi D-jet
My Car
Send a message via MSN to starkers
Which Federals did you buy

I've got the 595S on mine and are fine
Old 14-02-2010, 13:34   #3
steve.w

mine are the 595s too mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-02-2010, 17:50   #4
_ZS_

Car: S**tbox Mondeo
Your dealer sucks. I had two Accelera tyres put on an Astra in a hurry (needed for a last minute MOT appointment), and they were similar, hard to keep balanced, and made the car pull to the left. Went back to the place who sold them to me, and they replaced them no fuss at all.
Old 14-02-2010, 19:38   #5
stevo73

Car: Evo IV
Depending on who supplied the tyres to your garage they are probably telling you the truth because it is standard practice to send them to be tested and having been in the tyre trade for years ive seen that take 4-6 weeks at times.Also ask the dealer about fitting charges because if your tyres are found to be faulty the refund from the manufacturer is for tyres only not the fitting charge and some will sting you for this.
stevo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:20   #6
steve.w

cheers for the replies

my gripe is that according to the sale of goods act you shouldn't be refered to the manufacturer as its the supplier that you have the contract with,so its up to them to sort it,and,within the first 6 month of purchase you are not obliged to prove they are faulty.....which i'm pretty sure i have anyway given the amount of times the tyres have been rebalanced.
looks like i'll probably end up out of pocket with this
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: