ICE upgrade - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Old 16-07-2020, 20:16   #1
Mark richardson
Senior User

ICE upgrade

Hi,

Anyone got any good suggestions based on experience of what works well to upgrade ICE in an Evo 8?
Don't want to cut anything so would use current speaker locations etc and change head unit

Cheers
Mark richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2020, 11:12   #2
Macca916
Senior User

Car: Lotus Europa S
My Car
You can get a radio headunit loom adaptor that converts the standard mitsubishi connector to the aftermarket ISO connector. Found one on ebay for a few quid for use in my Evo9GT when swapping to an Alpine unit. Then its just a question of picking a headunit either single din or double din (Double din may need new surround/brackets- which I think Ross Sport can supply).
PS if going for a DAB unit you can also get a splitter converter for the stock aerial , just make sure you get the right one theres a choice between powered or not , I cant recall which way was correct. I think stock roof aerial is powered which needs to be taken into account on the decision.

Last edited by Macca916; 17-07-2020 at 11:15..
Macca916 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macca916 For This Useful Post:
Mark richardson (17-07-2020)
Old 17-07-2020, 16:39   #3
zefal
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ340
My Car
Not a massive upgrade and audiophiles won't like it... but you can't hear much over the exhaust in an Evo anyway LOL.

I upgraded headunit to double-din/sat nav etc. Then upgraded the main speakers to same size (car actually came with some kenwoods that fit in OE pockets and use OEM wiring). I then got some tweeters with in-built HP filter (my Evo 9 didn't come with tweeters in the a-pillars)... and finally a low profile active sub in the boot (tiny sub really but I did get power-cap as Evo battery tiny) but it's miles better than OEM with decent-ish bass and vocals.

I spliced into the headunit wiring for the tweeters so I don't mess around with the car wiring at all and can go back to OEM very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EVO 9 FQ-340
zefal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zefal For This Useful Post:
Mark richardson (17-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2020, 19:29   #4
Mark richardson
Senior User

That sounds about right for me.
I don't mind the noise of the engine/exhaust but sometimes wouldn't mind a decent sound set up.
Have you mounted your tweeters separately from the speakers then?
Are you running any amps etc for the sub?
What make of sub is it and how have you fixed in place? ( just wondering about spirited drives etc)
Cheers
Mark richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: