Cheap oil's - would you? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

View Poll Results: Would you run Fanfaro oil?
No - I wouldn't run the correct grade of that in any car. 8 66.67%
Yes - I would run the correct grade of that in my daily driver. 4 33.33%
Yes - I would run the correct grade of that in my evo. 0 0%
Yes - My evo is my daily driver and I would run the correct grade of that. 0 0%
Other - Please specify. 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 18:17   #16
kins
Regional Organiser
 
kins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cheshire
Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Posts: 21,468
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dick View Post
Are you talking about API service specs... because matching those won't get you the same oil.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiservice...C%20the%20most
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2020, 18:22   #17
kins
Regional Organiser
 
kins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cheshire
Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Posts: 21,468
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng46 View Post
I did not assume that price = quality. My opinion was based on the brand it self, unknown to me manufacturer to most people around. I am in the automotive industry and never heard this brand before and neither i did see any car manufacturer recommending any of their products.

This is my opinion, feel free to stick it in your car
I can understand how brand awareness and reputation is important but that doesn't guarantee an oil from the likes of Castrol or Mobil is any better than brand X.

Of course - everyone is entitled to their opinion and choice of oil they use. This is just a friendly discussion to debate the topic.

RE OEM's recommending particular products.... I'm pretty sure they do this because there's money in it for them forming the partnership.
Take Mitsubishi and Mobil for example... the US evo oil caps look like this.



That branding is probably not on there because they believe it's the best oil to use is it.

Last edited by kins; 03-06-2020 at 18:32..
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 18:29   #18
mecheng46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
I can understand how brand awareness and reputation is important but that doesn't guarantee an oil from the likes of Castrol or Mobil is any better than brand X.

Of course - everyone is entitled to their opinion and choice of oil they use. This is just a friendly discussion to debate the topic.
Friendly discussion mate. I come across the results of low quality oil in engines on a regular basis, sludge, stretched timing chains, blocked oil passages and sometimes engine seizure.

Most of the times there is a reason why certain brands have good reputation. And before you mention ''good marketing'' I would say that you might fool the consumer with good marketing for so long but eventually consumers will find out the truth and how good the product is.
__________________
Just Do It!
mecheng46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 18:35   #19
kins
Regional Organiser
 
kins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cheshire
Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Posts: 21,468
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng46 View Post
Friendly discussion mate. I come across the results of low quality oil in engines on a regular basis, sludge, stretched timing chains, blocked oil passages and sometimes engine seizure.

Most of the times there is a reason why certain brands have good reputation. And before you mention ''good marketing'' I would say that you might fool the consumer with good marketing for so long but eventually consumers will find out the truth and how good the product is.
Yes agreed... This is also true when manufacturers change their formulation for cost-cutting purposes etc which can damage their brand in the long-term.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 18:37   #20
mecheng46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
Yes agreed... This is also true when manufacturers change their formulation for cost-cutting purposes etc which can damage their brand in the long-term.
...if there is one thing you need to do to an engine to make it last is good quality oil and oil filter!
__________________
Just Do It!
mecheng46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 18:47   #21
kins
Regional Organiser
 
kins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cheshire
Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Posts: 21,468
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng46 View Post
...if there is one thing you need to do to an engine to make it last is good quality oil and oil filter!
Combined with regular servicing.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 19:37   #22
TimC
Senior User
 
TimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancashire
Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Posts: 1,707
Karl why not do a little test your self?

Put the Fanfaro oil in, run for 100 miles, drain and refil with fresh. Run for 1000miles then drain and take a clean sample.

Then do the same with another oil and send both samples off for analysis and see what results are for both oils?

Lake Speed Jr who previously worked for Joe Gibbs Racing (Nascar) and Driven Racing Oils who now works for Total Seal is well up on subjects like this and I imagine if you look hard enough you may find some of his seminars and appearances on various podcasts full of information.
__________________
Tim
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 19:41   #23
4g638
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
My Car
Posts: 5,903
Cheaper oil does not necessarily mean a bad quality lubricant.


Forget advertised features, get an engine oil that actually suits your engine built and purpose of usage. In order to do that you need to try different oils out and experiment.


Best oil is the one most suitable for you, not what a manufacturer says, or any random guy on the internet.


Best oil is defined by its results on your setup, lowest oxidation,minimal molecular breakdown, optimal detergent and dispersion properties, excellent lubrication, viscosity, and denser oil film, under boost and hard driving.



I own the evo for the last 18 years, I live in a hot to very hot environment, with ambient temps that exceed 40c. I have tried many various brands and types of oil, cheaper to most expensive, throughout different stages of setup ugrading and tuning and a hell of high cylinder pressures. The Evo is currently at the 1000bhp mark.


To correct a misconception , it is primarily high cylinder pressures that hurt a lubricant and diminish its properties and not mileage of driving like miss daisy. It goes without saying that this does not mean that you will leave the oil in your engine more than you should. Also the higher the hp number and cylinder pressures the sooner you should change your oil.

I currently use WOLF oils. It is an E.U brand with reasonable to low pricing. This brand's products are excellent, they meet and exceed any of the on going oil manufacturing standards.


Wolf lubricants, are FIA approved, in partnership with and in sponsorhip of WRC.




Check them out, and no I am not a trader or have any affiliation with WOLF lubricants.








Marios
__________________
" Go tell the Spartans,passerby,that here by Spartan law we lie. " Leonidas I son of Anaxandritas II and king of Sparta,really proud to be his descendant!

Last edited by 4g638; 03-06-2020 at 19:47.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 21:18   #24
TimC
Senior User
 
TimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancashire
Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
To correct a misconception , it is primarily high cylinder pressures that hurt a lubricant and diminish its properties and not mileage of driving like miss daisy. It goes without saying that this does not mean that you will leave the oil in your engine more than you should. Also the higher the hp number and cylinder pressures the sooner you should change your oil.
What hurts lubricants is contamination. Ring blow by and moisture being the two obvious contributors to that.
__________________
Tim
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 22:22   #25
4g638
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
My Car
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
What hurts lubricants is contamination. Ring blow by and moisture being the two obvious contributors to that.



Contamination always happens, no matter the setup you have or the way you use , we are talking about internal combustion engine here, and it is one of the reasons as to why you need to change your oil after a few thousands miles. As cylinder pressures go up so does contamination.



I will repeat my statement, the biggest enemy of a lubricant is molecular break-down and that happens with heat. The higher the cylinder pressures the higher the heat.



In order for one to experience and verify that very clearly, one needs to compare/analyze the same oil of the same exact mileage out of a stockish 300bhp evo and a 1000hp evo i.e. Of course this happens with any setup which is of higher cylinder pressures than another, but in the example I have mentioned, the results are night and day.







Marios
__________________
" Go tell the Spartans,passerby,that here by Spartan law we lie. " Leonidas I son of Anaxandritas II and king of Sparta,really proud to be his descendant!

Last edited by 4g638; 03-06-2020 at 22:37.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:23   #26
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,688
*doesn't fix AYC pump because the car drives fine without it*
*buys Chinesium vortex generator*
*runs Wanli tyres*
*...that are too narrow for the rims as it's the only size they do that fits*
*fits "eBay suspension"*
*services own car*
*last thread started; "Does anyone have a discount code for Godspeed?"*
*fits JASMA exhaust*
*has car remapped for 95* I know people can struggle off the mainland, don't @ me

Put generic oil in my car? Pff, no way, only the best for my car
Aidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:41   #27
barylon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 10
Using cheap oils is fine as long as they meet the API specifications for your car.
barylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:50   #28
kins
Regional Organiser
 
kins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cheshire
Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Posts: 21,468
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Karl why not do a little test your self?

Put the Fanfaro oil in, run for 100 miles, drain and refil with fresh. Run for 1000miles then drain and take a clean sample.

Then do the same with another oil and send both samples off for analysis and see what results are for both oils?

Lake Speed Jr who previously worked for Joe Gibbs Racing (Nascar) and Driven Racing Oils who now works for Total Seal is well up on subjects like this and I imagine if you look hard enough you may find some of his seminars and appearances on various podcasts full of information.
Na you're all right Tim - nice idea though. Why don't you give it a go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barylon View Post
Using cheap oils is fine as long as they meet the API specifications for your car.
There are also specifications the OEM's put on - for example, my BMW has an LL-04 requirement. My view is - as long as you meet the requirements the OEM has specified (as a minimum) then you shouldn't have a problem. Now, this is obviously very different if the car has been modified or is being used in a way that is outside of the vehicle's original design parameters.

Last edited by kins; 04-06-2020 at 07:52..
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:06   #29
TimC
Senior User
 
TimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancashire
Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
Na you're all right Tim - nice idea though. Why don't you give it a go?
I'm not that interested in the results being honest, but if you want to know the effects on what a "no mark" oil has compared to a well known brand to a particular engine then that is how you will find out what works best.
__________________
Tim

Last edited by TimC; 04-06-2020 at 12:13..
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 13:37   #30
Cyberstaff
Been here a while now....
 
Cyberstaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cornwall
My Car
Posts: 1,231
I personally stick with what i trust and have used for years. In the Evo its Millers Oils, i service regularly and inspect the drained oil.

Im no expert but i am a strong believer in you get what you pay for.

If you where to ask my grandad he would say "all oil comes from the same refinery, same with petrol and diesel" im not so sure though!
__________________
Garage Queen
Cyberstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.