Sprinting Ideas... - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Events > Pace Ward MLR Sprint Series

Old 10-09-2017, 12:27   #31
Ross W
Ross Sport

Car: 8.75 @ 163
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie-evo4 View Post
5. RossW give massive discounts to all sprinters, especially drivetrain parts.

Personally I think it's a bit of a myth!
I can count on one hand the number of drivetrain failures I've seen at the sprints in all the time I've been involved.
I agree it does give rise to an increased risk but in reality the cars cope with it very well and there's nothing better than a big launch off the line to get the adrenaline going

That said we could put it to a vote to see if people want to launch or would prefer a rolling start.

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
neverneverman (10-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 12:34   #32
davie-evo4
Regional Organiser

Car: A slow yin
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross W View Post
I can count on one hand the number of drivetrain failures I've seen at the sprints in all the time I've been involved.
I agree it does give rise to an increased risk but in reality the cars cope with it very well and there's nothing better than a big launch off the line to get the adrenaline going

That said we could put it to a vote to see if people want to launch or would prefer a rolling start.
Aye even tho I posted earlier about failures it was basically the one car that I had problems with, I used 4 different cars and all the others were fine.

To put it in to perspective, I once bought a 2nd hand twin plate, set of single discs off you and a set of XP8's off Ian and they lasted me 2 seasons of sprinting, in fact they were still decent parts and I sold them on when I upgraded.

Tony Beets.....The Legend.
davie-evo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:48   #33
rob2.2

Car: Evo 6 Track Car.
My Car
Send a message via MSN to rob2.2
I see the post replying to mine about superlap Scotland all held at knockhill.

What about a sprint series based at one circuit/airfield with 4/5 rounds throughout the year.

Based in the midlands so everyone can attend.

Also means you know the circuit and get better each event.

Include the show side of things also to raise revenue in terms of ticket sales, sponsorship and publicity

2.3 stroker evo 8 engine, tts205b, sd mapped by Lee5, stripped out, safety device cage, race seat and harnesses.
rob2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob2.2 For This Useful Post:
octainejunkee (10-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 13:32   #34
a1axx

Quote:
One idea I sugested to Darin, was the possibility of a series with lower number of rounds say 3 or 4 rounds.
1. 2015/2016 regs, top 3 results count.
2. Competitors commit to full season up front (some how)
3. Decent prize fund for each class from sposors, so if you come in top 3 you can cover a good bit of expenses for the season.
4. Winners from each class go to a shootout to decide the overall champion.
Driving a car none of them are familiar with. (Fully insured)

Thoughts?

Sounds complicated, and doesn't address the suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a1axx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 13:43   #35
MidnightE6
Senior User

Car: Audi B/Edition & Need New Toy!
Tegiwa have some sort of civic cup series.

Parts are governed what can and can't be used, all similar spec cars and all pretty much on a even scale.

Ross Sport Evo series...
Old 10-09-2017, 13:48   #36
Ross W
Ross Sport

Car: 8.75 @ 163
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1axx View Post
Sounds complicated, and doesn't address the suggestions

Point taken, the point of the thread is for people to give their opinion in the hope to work out where it's gone wrong and if there is any way of taking things forward.
This is merely one of my sugestions, the main point being the series would need a full grid to be viable. I think there was a fair few rounds where undersubscription meant that the club made a loss on the event and this is one of the biggest reasons why it has now finished.
Having organised a few events myself you always get lots of people saying they will come but when it gets to the day probably 30 to 40% of the people expected actually turn up. Hence if there is a possibility to reserect the series it woukd need firm pre season entries.

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 14:00   #37
a1axx

Quote:
Point taken, the point of the thread is for people to give their opinion in the hope to work out where it's gone wrong and if there is any way of taking things forward.
This is merely one of my sugestions, the main point being the series would need a full grid to be viable. I think there was a fair few rounds where undersubscription meant that the club made a loss on the event and this is one of the biggest reasons why it has now finished.
Having organised a few events myself you always get lots of people saying they will come but when it gets to the day probably 30 to 40% of the people expected actually turn up. Hence if there is a possibility to reserect the series it woukd need firm pre season entries.

My take on it, having raced karts professionally for about 9 years, is that the buzz I get now from my hobby is unfortunately about 70% building it and about 30% actually going on track days. Track days are boring, no crowds and no thrills. Unless I've just done something that I'm testing out, it's just monotonous!

I done the Combe round of the sprint this year, although I wanted more seat time the buzz was back. Running up to the timing screen to see where I'm at and how I'm doing, you start forgetting about what I can build better at home, and start just driving around problems!

I think that you have to look at time attack, it's more expensive than ever, and it's pulling more competitors in, as far as I know!

It's well publicised, and it's on busy show days which pulls the crowds in.

It's not as simple as saying okay lets just do that.. however if I can help at all with a Facebook group to get some hype going I would help for sure!

Of course I'd be reaching out to a large Clio community, somehow I'm a mod on one of the biggest groups! The markets out there for track dayers and show goers, just a case of trying to reign them in to some competitive fun!!

Old 10-09-2017, 14:12   #38
Phil2333
Tarmac Tyre Shredder

Car: Evo 6, Forged 2ltr 8MR engine...405/400
My Car
Just a question....regards other sprint series,hasnt the mlr one shrunk,whilst the javelin sprint series has got bigger?...am i wrong?

Are they doing something different?

https://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ht=restoration
Phil2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 14:14   #39
a1axx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2333 View Post
Just a question....regards other sprint series,hasnt the mlr one shrunk,whilst the javelin sprint series has got bigger?...am i wrong?

I guess it's aimed at everyone and publicised

Old 10-09-2017, 14:15   #40
a1axx

I've literally just had a message from a guy interested in the sprint series, he thought it was Combe only and only for race license holders! This is part of the problem, people know nothing about it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a1axx For This Useful Post:
octainejunkee (10-09-2017), Unobtainium (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 18:16   #41
neverneverman
Life after Evo= Elise

Car: The money pit has gone ! Lotus Elise now
My Car
Quote:

Really? You would need both hands just to count mine .. and feet.
neverneverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neverneverman For This Useful Post:
octainejunkee (10-09-2017), plip1953 (10-09-2017), Unobtainium (15-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 18:40   #42
neverneverman
Life after Evo= Elise

Car: The money pit has gone ! Lotus Elise now
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2333 View Post

Yes , they allow all types of car to compete competitively not just making the numbers up.
I would of done the full season in 2016 with the lotus if it was competitive and not just making the numbers work.
Also in 2013-14&15 I would of competed and got a lot of guys to come along from MSA events , if things had changed sooner it might of even been competing with Jevelin Events.
All types of cars should of competed together and let the times dictate the classes , simplicity is what is needed and make it fun like I it was back when it was fully booked with a reserve list ! Back then the day would be talked about for weeks after the days events, now its lucky to even get a thread started.
neverneverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 18:54   #43
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Wonder if there would be much interest in a MLR Time Attack style series...
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
a1axx (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 19:33   #44
jbeez_yuall
User

Car: Evo II
For me this series was spot on in 2016 and should have remained the same for 2017.

I love sprinting and I love doing it on proper race circuits.

Since the beginning of this year, as it started so late and were so few rounds, I have been forced to partake in msa run events. These are on a par with the mlr for me.

I just want to race my car, in a controlled environment. Trackdays are not racing and stress the car so much more than sprints. I still do 1 or 2 a year just for seat time.

Launches do not break transmissions if you do them with a little care, you will never win off the line.

Combe was a good event, if there were more events to choose from and it was opened up to all vehicles then it would survive. I think the one make thing is the problem, very few evos are owned by people who want to use them these days, I rarely see evos at sprints or trackdays. I see many other cars though...
jbeez_yuall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbeez_yuall For This Useful Post:
KNOXVILLE (12-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 20:06   #45
peeler
Senior User

Car: RED TME, Transit M-Sport, Range Rover Lumma GTevo
My Car
I do agree opening up to all makes could really boost the series!!

How to do the regs I'd have no idea, maybe read the javelin regs

2013, Norris Designs 100k+ build , issues at every event entered

2014 2nd MLRSS Class B

2015,16 MLRSS class B champion , 2015,16 IOM 3day Manxhill climb champion
peeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peeler For This Useful Post:
octainejunkee (10-09-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: