Rampant's Freestanding Car Port Build - Page 4 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 03-09-2019, 11:43   #46
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Before any of that timber could be fitted together, there was the small issue of designing the thing:

To extend the same roof-line back to the angled wall/fence behind the car-port;
To measure and calculate the wall height, the distance to the back wall and fence, the lengths, spacings and angles for the side beam, the roof joists and rafters;
Choose the support points for the beam and joists?;
Then re-measure and re-calculate legs, joists and complex-angled rafters before;
Cutting roof timber and fitting it together like a 3-d jigsaw puzzle...
Then laying the floor and getting the walls put together.

The first manual job wasn't even using the timber.

When I cemented the carport legs into the ground, I foolishly left the level of the cement slightly below ground level. I hadn't considered that when I filled the base of the post with gravel that water might pool around the timber post in that recess in the ground, so I needed to fix that by some means.
The method I chose was to completely eliminate any areas where water could sit in contact with the posts, by cementing in a small square of block paving. Since the posts are 100mm x 100mm section I found a block that was sized 100mm x 200mm that would do the job of surrounding the posts with a single width of block with no gaps.

This is what the finished block platform looks like finished and cemented around a free leg:

On the other side of the car-port, however, the legs were butted right up against a row of larger blocks. I have a few of these spare, but sadly were far too big for the job and would've needed cutting each separate down on 2 sides, which is far too time-consuming a job (even if I could get my hands on a block cutter?).

This is the other side, where you'll see I had to cut one block in half. To cut it, I simply drilled some holes in the bottom of it, supported the ends on two timbers and tapped it with a hammer and it easily split in half:

These rear two legs block footings also needed to be level for the base and floor, so they were measured to be level with the existing row of blocks at the side of the car-port:

So far so simple!

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 12:34   #47
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Now begins the complicated part, the roof structure.

The easy bit was the length of the side beam extension, which needed to extend in a straight line from the back of one side of the car-port, all the way to the fence at the back - around 1.8m.
Another fairly easy choice was what end-support to use for that side-beam.

A 70mm x 70mm would be sufficient to support this corner, but this time not sunk into the ground, and instead perched on a cement footing, using a metal post base... This cement base is around 6 inches deep:

With the post in place, it would support the corner of the side beam, and be around 1.5m from the back edge of the car-port, so I decided to place the joists parallel to the existing joists and space the joists and rafters 50cm apart to support the roof OSB. The drawing in the first picture is the roof plan and front elevation, but not the full 3-d measurements, yet, that comes later...

Then the measurements really began to get complicated. Each joist would be supported, close to the angled rear fence, but I needed them level, and decided to use the wall for base support. The length of these legs was complex to work out, because the top of the wall isn't level, but rises gradually toward the side fence. I placed several timbers on the car-port joists, as square and perpendicular as possible to the joists and at the right length to reach the fence, then measure the distance from wall up to these timbers for the length of the timber leg, then extend that measurement up to meet the angled roof rafters, and ensuring the leg was spot-on vertical and spot-on 472mm from the back joist - it was a 3d jigsaw puzzle that was so difficult to measure accurately that I reverted to maths, pencil and paper.

Several similar triangles calculations, Pythagoras calculations and tangent of angle calculations later I had a simple plan of one leg for one joist, with one spacer between joists and a partial length of rafter. Twice. Lucky that the timber I'd gu-estimated first and bought without doing this first ended up being exactly the right amount of each size.

If none of that makes sense - here's a couple of pictures of the first joist/leg/spacer assembly that I cut and assembled away from the structure being placed into position before screwing it to the side beam and rear car-port joist...

^the leg in this picture also has an angled top end, to fit the partial rafter onto - which is the rhombus cut timber in the background^
^this first joist is long enough to need a queen post for the centr-line of the car-port^
^you'll also see the queen post to support the other end of the partial rafter in the apex of the roof^

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////

Last edited by Rampant; 03-09-2019 at 12:38..
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
evo5d (03-09-2019), RichW (04-09-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: