HELP PLEASE! Evo 8 rear drive shaft split at the knuckle - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 04-05-2020, 20:06   #1
windscreenman

HELP PLEASE! Evo 8 rear drive shaft split at the knuckle

Hi, my evo 8 380 bhp went out today for and essential journey to asda. I came out of a junction and went gently into boost in 1st gear and I got a huge bang from the rear end of the car. My O/S/R driveshaft knuckle has popped apart / broken inside the rubber gator. I will buy another shaft but and fit but my questions are...

why has this broke? Are they weak or is it likely that I had a weak/tired shaft. The car was not launched and never gets launched.

And is It just a simple swap or are there any tips I need to know prior to fitting a new one.

Thanks and stay safe.
windscreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 20:23   #2
spn
Senior User

Car: EVO 6
My Car
Sounds like the driveshaft's snapped. Maybe the car was launched a lot before you got it.

Fairly easy to replace but if the driveshaft has snapped in the CV / tripod joint, it'll be a pain to remove.

Easiest to replace with a used complete unit.

Undo the nut on the end of the CV joint, remove the lower arm and toe arm so you can swing the hub out, knock the tripod joint out of the diff, remove the other end from the hub.

Think that's about it.
spn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 21:59   #3
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
as said not hard to change jack the car up as high as you can to reduce oil loss in the diff BUT undo the drive shaft nut before you jack the car up ,they can be FT and hard to get undone

youll only know why its broke when you take it apart ,sods law says the grease is like mud and its simply worn out ,its the cars way of telling you fix me LOL
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: