Help wanted,front diff failure? - Page 7 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 20:05   #91
kobe_1201

Car: E8 FQ300 with adding lightness bits?
My Car
i think the E8 has an open diff looking ones
kobe_1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2013, 10:28   #92
addyfie

Well i have just done my diff bolts on my TME and 3 of them where in the bottom of the casing and the last one was still in there until i turned the head of the bolt when it snapped off in my hand. I reckon i was a boost or 2 away from my diff exploding.
addyfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 17:59   #93
James5

Car: Renault 5 GT Turbo phase 2 & Zafira GSI
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF_RSX View Post
Well,
I finally managed it.
Pictures will follow when I get chance to download them from my camera (bit crappy but it gives a reasonable impression)

Big thanks to HH6 for all the info and to [email protected] for the bits and being on the end of the phone when I needed it

Procedure is fairly straight forward although it would have helped if I had 2 people working on it instead of just me.

Remove exhaust front pipe

Drain gearbox and transfer box oil

Pop out both driveshafts (easier to do if you undo the hubs from the suspension strut)

Screw a 8mm nut into the hole on the output shaft on the transfer box side and then use a slide hammer to pop the shaft out.

Undo all the transfer box mounting bolts (including those on the top of the box that you can't see from underneath )

Slowly edge the transfer box away from the g/box
It will come out so far and then seem not to move..... The best option at this point is to insert a pry bar (or similar) into the hole in the middle of the transfer box and gently tap the centre shaft towards the g/box.

The transfer box will then come free and can be lowered to the floor. As it comes free and you lower it down, remove the propshaft from the rear of the t/box. BE careful. When the transfer box is free it is quite heavy for one person to hold

Once out, you can then remove the bolts holding the 2 halves of the box together and separate the halves by levering them gently with a screwdriver.

Then remove the diff assembly and remove the 14mm bolts holding the front diff inside. As you remove these, the ring gear will separate from the assembly and can be removed.

Inside you will find your front diff and probably a few bolt heads (I had 2 sheared off and 2 still in place)

Remove any bolts still in place and the diff will separate into 2 halves. Be careful that you don't tip up one half and have all the cogs fall onto the floor (not that I'd do anything like that of course )

Replace the bolts with new ones (with a bit of Loctite) and then put everything back together again in the right order and refill the fluids. It's a lot easier to raise the transfer box with 2 people and the assistance of a trolley jack (thank you Mrs RSX for the help )

Pretty simple really. No more loud clinking noises when turning and car feels a lot sharper on turn in.

Andy
An old post but great help about to go and start on this
James5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 18:12   #94
dangerousdave

Car: Icecelle VI
I find its easier to pull the ns centre shaft and you can knock out the one in the transfer on the bench once the box is out. Another thing I've never found is torque settings for the countersunk bolts that break, I used loctite and did them to 30nm. The other figures you need are Casing/cover 23nm, Crown wheel 132nm.

Make sure to take the cogs out of the diff unit and clean it all thoroughly as I found a fair bit of swarf when I did mine. Just keep them in order and orientation, may be an idea to mark the ends with permanent marker. Also keep your eyes peeled for engraving/notches in the parts of the diff unit and the casing it fits into to ensure correct fit/alignment
dangerousdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dangerousdave For This Useful Post:
James5 (07-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 12:18   #95
James5

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
I find its easier to pull the ns centre shaft and you can knock out the one in the transfer on the bench once the box is out. Another thing I've never found is torque settings for the countersunk bolts that break, I used loctite and did them to 30nm. The other figures you need are Casing/cover 23nm, Crown wheel 132nm.

Make sure to take the cogs out of the diff unit and clean it all thoroughly as I found a fair bit of swarf when I did mine. Just keep them in order and orientation, may be an idea to mark the ends with permanent marker. Also keep your eyes peeled for engraving/notches in the parts of the diff unit and the casing it fits into to ensure correct fit/alignment
ok i am in process of doing this job, drive shafts out, gearbox and transfer fluid drained, exhaust downpipe removed, loosend all transfer box bolts to gearbox, now got stuck no ****ing slidder hammer, do you think it would be possible to use a long M8 bolt a descent size socket and try to pull the n's side shaft out? would this work??

also anyone got any more pic's of this for an e6?
Old 12-02-2014, 18:40   #96
Mita
Senior User

I have made up my slide hammer - m8 rod, a few big washers, a few m8 nuts and a lump hammer head

How you getting on??
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 19:31   #97
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by James5 View Post
ok i am in process of doing this job, drive shafts out, gearbox and transfer fluid drained, exhaust downpipe removed, loosend all transfer box bolts to gearbox, now got stuck no ****ing slidder hammer, do you think it would be possible to use a long M8 bolt a descent size socket and try to pull the n's side shaft out? would this work??

also anyone got any more pic's of this for an e6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
I have made up my slide hammer - m8 rod, a few big washers, a few m8 nuts and a lump hammer head

How you getting on??
I have removed mine in the past with a large flat screwdriver, or small prybar, in the gap were the ring clip is on the shaft, levered it against something to pop it out, once the ring clip inside has moved several mm, it will just pull out, then pop a small bar in the hole where the shaft was and give the other 1 a firm tap to pop that 1 out

I more thing to watch when rebuilding is that the small O ring that goes between the transfer box and gearbox is in place, and stays there

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
James5 (13-02-2014)
Old 15-02-2014, 16:32   #98
James5

My Car
Quote:

How you getting on??
I just got hold of a slide hammer from a mate literally just now and both shafts are now out. I just need to lower transfer box will do later when the family do is over :-)

I will try and get some pics as well :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited by James5; 15-02-2014 at 16:33..
Old 15-02-2014, 19:43   #99
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
You don't need to take the transfer box off, just take the side cover off and remove the 'bell' and Crownwheel. Much quicker and easier.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
Mita (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 18:49   #100
James5

My Car
Ok finally got transfer box out of car but no 4 bolts?? What setup have I got ???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 17-02-2014, 18:55   #101
Mita
Senior User

Open diff
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
James5 (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 19:36   #102
James5

My Car
Quote:
Open diff
Many thanks

Any advice as to what my issue could be

https://lancerregister.com/showthread...=459707&page=4
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16   #103
fraguzz
Senior User

Car: Lancer evo 5GSR TEIN,EDFC,ROTA,APEXi,c.o.p,Walbro
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivew View Post
You don't need to take the transfer box off, just take the side cover off and remove the 'bell' and Crownwheel. Much quicker and easier.
do you have any pictures and is it straight forward..?
fraguzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: