Evo 4 ECU problems - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > ECU / Mapping

Old 23-11-2020, 17:46   #16
4g638

My Car
Gems did not make AEM ecu. By canbus I am referring to the pathways, routes, protocol and frequencies the AEM V1 uses to communicate with any external hardware is attached on the oem harness or added to it. The only serial type comm port it has on it, is the one that connects to the laptop.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 23-11-2020 at 17:50.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-11-2020, 18:01   #17
grants
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
Gems did not make AEM ecu. By canbus I am referring to the pathways, routes, protocol and frequencies the AEM V1 uses to communicate with any external hardware is attached on the oem harness or added to it. The only serial type comm port it has on it, is the one that connects to the laptop.
Marios
GEMS designed the ECU for AEM - FACT
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 18:10   #18
4g638

My Car
It may be a fact to you but to me it simply remains a statement on the mlr and I beg to differ until I bump into some actual proof of this. Even if it has, this is irrelevant to the O.P's car issues.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 23-11-2020 at 18:11.. Reason: typo
Old 23-11-2020, 19:03   #19
Dabsy
Senior User

Car: Evo 6RS gone, Evo 7 RS
Quote:
The evo 7 ecu is on a stock rom using a maf. It will start without one but it will not stay running, it will shut down after a few seconds. The reason it does not start it is because it gets no fuel due to the way the pumps are wired in to suit the AEM canbus. Also if everything else was ok, the engine would run although rough, without an O2 sensor, so do not worry about the O2 sensor for the time being.

From what I know, the 4,5,6 do not have an immobilizer, and your evo 7 rs does have one. Its a small black box on the steering column. I was not sure which side and at what height on the column was the evo 7 immobilizer module in comparison to the evo 8/9, so I did search bit online, but I did not find anything, so it should be in the same location as the evo 8/9 which is under the switch barrel. This gets a signal from the key fob at a specific frequency, converts it and then sends it to the ecu, if the value in the ecu matches the signal, the ecu grounds the ignition barrel relay which in turn powers up the starter and the car starts. Since your car cranks, the starter spins which shows you that the evo 4 has no immobilizer and the switch barrel and starter power up directly from battery.

Since your pumps work with the AEM ecu but you have no coil driver signal, that means the ecu's coil drivers have been damaged. If you were on AEM2 I would tell you which pins to switch to, as the ver2 has extra coil drivers.

You need to remove the secondary bosch pump, and then rewire the in-tank pump straight to the battery and to the oem signal if it is not wired in that. If you do this correctly , the car should start and shut down after a few seconds, you might to constantly open the throttle in order for this to do so, but if you manage to start it, then all you need to do is get a tactrix cable, switch the ecu over to your 7rs, (unless it is a 4 plug ecu vs a 3 plug one on the 7rs) download a tephra evo jdm 7rom on speed density, load it to the ecu, and then plug that ecu back to the evo 4 harness and go from there. If it is a 4 vs 3 plug ecus, you'll need to sort the evo 4 obd2 plug out.

Marios
Thanks Marios. My Evo 7RS hasn't been touched in this attempt to get the Evo 4 started. I was only going to try that ECU if an immobiliser was not fitted. I don't know about the 3 plug ECU, I assumed it was 4 plug. I will check tonight.

However, the used E7 ecu I have may well have the immobiliser enabled and I thought that was my problem. Now you have confirmed that the immobiliser isolates the starter then I am good to go. As you suggest I will try and divert the power from the external fuel pump to the in tank alone and see if I can get it started.

The other reason I ask about immobiliser is that the E7 ecu still does not send a coil signal to the drivers. With the AEM series one fitted and cranking the ignition turns the engine on the starter and fuel delivers fuel but no spark. Laptop log of AEM shows both crank and cam signal. So with no coil signal from either ECU would this suggest damaged or incorrect crank sensor 5v signal?

PS to add, previous owner who I bought it from said that the Evo 4 stopped one coil pack first and then the second broke down afterwards, does this give any clue?

Cheers, Dave.
Dabsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 19:03   #20
Dabsy
Senior User

Evo 4 ECU issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
GEMS designed the ECU for AEM - FACT
PM'd
Old 23-11-2020, 19:51   #21
Dabsy
Senior User

Quote:
The evo 7 ecu is on a stock rom using a maf. It will start without one but it will not stay running, it will shut down after a few seconds. The reason it does not start it is because it gets no fuel due to the way the pumps are wired in to suit the AEM canbus. Also if everything else was ok, the engine would run although rough, without an O2 sensor, so do not worry about the O2 sensor for the time being.

From what I know, the 4,5,6 do not have an immobilizer, and your evo 7 rs does have one. Its a small black box on the steering column. I was not sure which side and at what height on the column was the evo 7 immobilizer module in comparison to the evo 8/9, so I did search bit online, but I did not find anything, so it should be in the same location as the evo 8/9 which is under the switch barrel. This gets a signal from the key fob at a specific frequency, converts it and then sends it to the ecu, if the value in the ecu matches the signal, the ecu grounds the ignition barrel relay which in turn powers up the starter and the car starts. Since your car cranks, the starter spins which shows you that the evo 4 has no immobilizer and the switch barrel and starter power up directly from battery.

Since your pumps work with the AEM ecu but you have no coil driver signal, that means the ecu's coil drivers have been damaged. If you were on AEM2 I would tell you which pins to switch to, as the ver2 has extra coil drivers.

You need to remove the secondary bosch pump, and then rewire the in-tank pump straight to the battery and to the oem signal if it is not wired in that. If you do this correctly , the car should start and shut down after a few seconds, you might to constantly open the throttle in order for this to do so, but if you manage to start it, then all you need to do is get a tactrix cable, switch the ecu over to your 7rs, (unless it is a 4 plug ecu vs a 3 plug one on the 7rs) download a tephra evo jdm 7rom on speed density, load it to the ecu, and then plug that ecu back to the evo 4 harness and go from there. If it is a 4 vs 3 plug ecus, you'll need to sort the evo 4 obd2 plug out.

Marios
Just checked out my 7 RS, has a standard 4 plug ECU and i'm pretty sure that it doesn't have an immobiliser. I have 2 keys for it from import. One basic plastic Mitsubishi key that is very slim and one completely metal no plastic at all. Both start the car independently, so metal key says no immob.

I will make a start on the OBD2 rewire to the 4 ECU loom as it's pretty basic and straight forward, just waiting for the ECU case to arrive which has some much needed pins in the loom that has been cut off and will come with it.

Will post up progress.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 23-11-2020, 21:16   #22
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
Thanks Marios. My Evo 7RS hasn't been touched in this attempt to get the Evo 4 started. I was only going to try that ECU if an immobiliser was not fitted. I don't know about the 3 plug ECU, I assumed it was 4 plug. I will check tonight.

However, the used E7 ecu I have may well have the immobiliser enabled and I thought that was my problem. Now you have confirmed that the immobiliser isolates the starter then I am good to go. As you suggest I will try and divert the power from the external fuel pump to the in tank alone and see if I can get it started.

The other reason I ask about immobiliser is that the E7 ecu still does not send a coil signal to the drivers. With the AEM series one fitted and cranking the ignition turns the engine on the starter and fuel delivers fuel but no spark. Laptop log of AEM shows both crank and cam signal. So with no coil signal from either ECU would this suggest damaged or incorrect crank sensor 5v signal?

PS to add, previous owner who I bought it from said that the Evo 4 stopped one coil pack first and then the second broke down afterwards, does this give any clue?

Cheers, Dave.

I was with the impression that you did have spark on the 7 ecu, just no fuel. If you have lack of both, then apart from what I suggested in regards to the fuel pump, you should replace both cam and crank sensors, because the verification signal on the ecu log, merely shows that the ecu can communicate with the sensors, but the sensors might as well be malfunctioning.

Marios
Old 23-11-2020, 21:25   #23
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
Just checked out my 7 RS, has a standard 4 plug ECU and i'm pretty sure that it doesn't have an immobiliser. I have 2 keys for it from import. One basic plastic Mitsubishi key that is very slim and one completely metal no plastic at all. Both start the car independently, so metal key says no immob.

I will make a start on the OBD2 rewire to the 4 ECU loom as it's pretty basic and straight forward, just waiting for the ECU case to arrive which has some much needed pins in the loom that has been cut off and will come with it.

Will post up progress.

Cheers, Dave.

Yes if you can start it with no signal from key , there is no immobilizer, although there are jdm 7rs which do have an immobilizer. Whether it came as an option or not, or whether it was fitted to a certain number of cars but not to all, I do not know.

Since both ecus are 4 plug you can also try the other option I suggested, it's up to you. All the best with sorting it out.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 23-11-2020 at 21:32.. Reason: typo
Old 23-11-2020, 21:42   #24
Dabsy
Senior User

[QUOTE=4g638;6246123]Yes if you can start it with no signal from key , there is no immobilizer, although there are jdm 7rs which do have an immobilizer. Whether it came as an option or not, or whether it was fitted to a certain number of cars but not to all, I do not know.

Since both ecus are 4 plug you can also try the other option I suggested, it's up to you. All the best with sorting it out.

Thanks Marios. I will see how i get on.

Main issue is no spark so i'll try crank senor first..

Dave.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: