Lancer Register Forum banner

2017 MLR Sprint Regs - Time for Change!

25K views 134 replies 47 participants last post by  Darin 
#1 ·
Guys,

Firstly thanks for all your comments and ideas with regard to the 2017 Sprints and poll. Secondly apologies for this post being a later than it should be, but for reasons I'd rather not go into I've had other priorities over the past couple months which have meant I simply couldn't do everything.

The overwhelming feeling we got from the recent Poll was to:
  • get back to basics
  • make it easy and inexpensive for everyone to take part - and thereby attract new drivers
  • re-energise the sprints to create a renewed enthusiasm to make them must-do events whilst retaining a great competition

Time for Change

Clearly there needs to be some big changes to rejuvenate the Sprints and I've talked to a number of people about the ideas you've all come up with on the forum.
The favourite and perhaps the most radical is to adopt a 'no classes' format but for the morning only, leading into a class structure for the afternoon's competition based on the times set during the morning:

• No classes at start of the day - just arrive and drive
  • All cars take part in 3 practice runs and the first competitive run (as some drivers approach the practice runs on different boost)
  • These results dictate the classes for the Sprint on the day

Safety

Of course there has to be some rules for safety which would be based on our previous regs;
  • All cars must be MOT's or MSA log-booked
  • All cars must carry a securely mounted fire extinguisher - minimum 1.5kg
  • Cars running slicks go into the top class
  • Cars running slicks must have a full rollcage
  • Cars with fuel cells must have a bulkhead
  • Drivers must wear flame retardant race suit & gloves if their car has internal fuel lines
  • Tyres can't be changed during the event
  • Trailered cars aren't eligible for entry level class
  • Single seaters are welcome but run in their own class

Pros & Cons?

There will always be some pros and cons with any system as there has been with all the MLRSS Class systems over previous years, but the emphasis for this year is making it simple and attractive to take part, and create a starting point to work from in future years;

Pros:
  • no issues with not being competitive against other cars in your class as your time dictates who you'll compete against, not your car spec
  • easy for everyone to enter with the car they have right now - may just need a fire extinguisher to be installed
  • changing your car spec during the year won't affect you entering
  • as cheap as possible to take part, eg: no need to buy specific tyres
  • possibly more varied competition over the year dependent on the circuit being used
  • ultimately generates a flexible class structure
  • although aimed at EVOs, this could be used across all marques and add another level of competition between the drivers

Cons:
  • drivers sandbagging - of course this is a possibility if unsporting drivers want to try to get an unfair advantage. However, although we expect this to be visible in the times, we would want and hope that all driver will approach the events in the right spirit, not to mention the peer pressure of their fellow competitors should they try to cheat

2017 Sprint Dates & Venues

At the time of writing I'm actually still waiting for two venues to reply with possible dates, so I can't publish the dates and circuits yet. However, we're aiming to have a variety a number of standalone rounds again so drivers can concentrate on driving at one event at a time, rather than trying to focus on a Series and the costs that come with it.

We're also intending to bring the corner weights so we can weigh the cars and obtain data for the future relating to power and weight.

See less See more
#2 ·
sandbagging? is that like tea bagging? If so you can count me out. Apart from that it sounds like a great idea for the new regs. The practise runs will be less competitive though surely as people try to get placed into a slower class knowing fine well they'll be way quicker during timed runs? Or am I missing something? :D

#3 ·
Looking good Darin. I like the fact that you can mod your car how you like without worrying what class it might put you in. Also no championship means you can duck in and out of rounds without worrying about it impacting on the season:smthumbup

Reactions: kins
#4 ·
Sounds very similar to javelins setup for this year, except they have a few basics classes and mix things about between events as opposed to after practice. Still sounds good to me though. For me there venues are a long way away or dates clash
Hoping for same venues as last year, and dates soon so can plan around them

#8 ·
Now that's a good idea isn't it...
not a problem drivers sand bagging if you bring the rule of not going faster than the quickest time set in the morning runs in your class .if you do that runs doesn't count.
I think this will keep the morse alive.
Confused Paul - If you are not allowed to go faster than the times in the morning whats the point of going out in the afternoon????

#6 ·
Sounds good but unfortunately many do cheat and will continue or in this case sandbag, the classes will be all over the show after the 1st class run. Hopefully won't cause any issues !

#9 ·
Guys,

Safety

Of course there has to be some rules for safety which would be based on our previous regs;
  • All cars must be MOT's or MSA log-booked
  • All cars must carry a securely mounted fire extinguisher - minimum 1.5kg
  • Cars running slicks go into the top class
  • Cars running slicks must have a full rollcage
  • Cars with fuel cells must have a bulkhead
  • Drivers must wear flame retardant race suit & gloves if their car has internal fuel lines
  • Tyres can't be changed during the event
  • Trailered cars aren't eligible for entry level class
  • Single seaters are welcome but run in their own class
Thats a shame we have to use the same tyres - I like to get a few recce runs on normal tyres then go for the slicks but if thats the rules fine

#20 ·
My only issue would be re tyres. Changes would have to be permitted if the weather was variable (ie on safety grounds), so my inclination would be make it a free choice between 1a and 1b, but limit use of any other tyres to the top class only.

I'm presuming no tyre warmers?

#36 ·
Keith, Yep maybe - although this would penalise a driver who had a technical problem with their car on one run (eg: boost pipe come off).
Good, so reliability becomes even more of a factor on top of driving skill and car spec. That rule would make it really exciting.

Add up the best 3 runs of the day. Reward people for consistency:smthumbup.

#24 ·
I think what would help is some examples based on times from previous years, to get an idea on the class sizes and who would've been where.

For example, with the event practice times ranging between 1:30 and 2 minutes, is there 3 classes (1:30-1:40, 1:40-1:50 and 1:50-2:00), or 5 classes (1:30-1:35, 1:35-1:40, etc)?

#26 · (Edited)
Looking at my practice times from the years gone by often take it easy in the morning. Not to sandbag but to save the car for later.

Snetterton practice:

http://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/2013 Rd1 MLR Practice.pdf

Snetterton competetive:

http://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/2013 Rd1 MLR Competitive.pdf

Teesside practice:

http://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/2012 Rd7 Practice.pdf

Teesside competitive:

http://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/2012 Rd7 Competitive.pdf

So looking at my practice pace before these rules even came out I'd probably be in class B. This means I don't have to use race fuel or expensive and fast wearing slicks any more and maybe even use 1a tyres and low boost.

That means cheaper pot hunting sessions for all the high spec cars. Loving the rules! :eek: :crackup:

#27 ·
That means cheaper pot hunting sessions for all the high spec cars. Loving the rules! :eek: :crackup:
I would never put you in the pot hunter class :lol: But does this mean you are coming out to play :confused:

#28 ·
Its does mean that people who fancy giving it a go or people like me who drive to the tracks can rock up and race with whatever tyres you have on and it wont matter as your group will be based your best. Coupled with no championship there really isn't a reason for a newbie to not give it go.

#35 ·
I guess the priority is to get more Evos out there running. If the MLR is just a mix of cars like Javelin then I think it loses a bit of what it is.

#39 ·
This is quite a bold move which I think should be congratulated. I think it addresses most of the "complaints" or issues many people claimed to have, and goes a way toward making it more turn-up-and-drive friendly. If people want to skew their class by sandbagging then it should be fairly clear and if people do this and are bumped up a class then all is well, and such people will hopefully come to learn it won't do them any benefit in the long run.

We can all speculate if this is going to work or not, but no-one will really know until it's tried out.

#41 ·
Huge props for taking the steps to go in this fresh direction - definitely welcome the change and it's something that should (at the very least) be tried to see how it plays out. :smthumbup

A suggestion RE the potential sandbagging issue - couldn't the overall winners in each class be decided on an aggregate of their slowest time in the first 3 laps and their fastest time in the competitive runs? This would surely prevent anyone sandbagging to stay in a lower class (knowing that their slowest lap will count against them as part of their overall result..). I haven't yet had a chance to fully think this through if this would work in the real world scenario...

#53 ·
A suggestion RE the potential sandbagging issue - couldn't the overall winners in each class be decided on an aggregate of their slowest time in the first 3 laps and their fastest time in the competitive runs?
Depending on the course people may well use their first practice run to familiarise themselves with the course, lines etc. People aren't always going to be going flat out on a course they don't know from the off so it wouldn't be fair to count those runs.

#43 ·
Overall I like the new regs, obviously there going to need tweaking as it's completely new structure, but I think it will attract new cars, I missed all of last year due to a bad accident and tbh I'm not sure how my back will be once I'm out in the car again, so although could be deemed as sandbagging It'll be nice to turn up and drive then through the day put more effort in,
Which I think the "moving up a class" rule would work really well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.