The beginning of the end of education - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 05-08-2015, 09:36   #31

Car: Yogic Flying
My Car
It all depends what you're definition of intelligence actually is. If we follow the classic model of IQ, memory, learning/educational accomplishments and use that as a benchmark, to me, that's far too narrow, where does wisdom come into that equation, thinking outside of the box?

There's been the mentioning of success, again, what's the yardstick, Katie plastic Price selling her body/soul for a few quid? What about those that don't have piles of cash in the bank that archive immense human right victories for others without any personal gain for themselves which at times causes such people personal loss of their freedoms, ridicule in the press, ostracised from the wider community?

105170 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 105170 For This Useful Post:
chris_mak (05-08-2015), Clivew (05-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 17:18   #32
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
It all depends what you're definition of intelligence actually is. If we follow the classic model of IQ, memory, learning/educational accomplishments and use that as a benchmark, to me, that's far too narrow, where does wisdom come into that equation, thinking outside of the box?

There's been the mentioning of success, again, what's the yardstick, Katie plastic Price selling her body/soul for a few quid? What about those that don't have piles of cash in the bank that archive immense human right victories for others without any personal gain for themselves which at times causes such people personal loss of their freedoms, ridicule in the press, ostracised from the wider community?

Wisdom isn't strongly related to intelligence at all, and the likes of "thinking outside the box" would probably be covered in most metrics that define basic intelligence. Classic examples being the rather literal nine dots puzzle, and others.

And for the record, others brought up success - success is in no way related to intelligence at all. "Success" is driven by many factors, sometimes one of those factors is indeed intelligence but it doesn't have to be and often isn't, so the two are not strongly connected at all, be that "good success" or "bad success".
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 17:52   #33
lawsy

Car: 7 sprint slag
My Car
Is it intelligent to be caught up in the rat race and working 60+ hrs a week?
Only to retire and die

Define intelligent living?
lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lawsy For This Useful Post:
DannysphinX (05-08-2015), Mita (05-08-2015), Svengali (05-08-2015)
Old 21-01-2020, 09:39   #34
Albrecht

One of the references which I used for debates - The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School by Neil Postman. David Ferrer has written a review on it: the most interesting part is about multiculturalism in education.
Albrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 09:41   #35
Albrecht

Quote:
"Education has become a tool for manipulations. Schooling may be brought by educators to the next level, but checking the latest essaydune memoirs made me feel absorbed with the precipitate conclusions."- Neil Postman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
One of the references which I used for debates - The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School by Neil Postman. David Ferrer has written a review on it: the most interesting part is about multiculturalism in education.
One more article - School transitions: beginning of the end or a new beginning?

Last edited by Albrecht; 21-01-2020 at 09:43..
Albrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: