Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 17-12-2019, 06:40   #16
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goginawa View Post
Weíve had KW V3 on 9 GT with rear arb and did fair few tracks days here and fair few Laps on nordschleife. What we found is that even though it had softer springs, to my memory, the car was still bouncing around and even though we got used to it it took some time to control it. Had we had something like Ohlins, like some of the other cars had at time it wouldíve been different story as they didnít complain of same effects as us, similar car spec in question. So harder suspension on the ring didnít do us favours, we enjoyed it though but with softer suspension wouldíve been better
KW V3s are designed for road use only, Ohlins DFV are geared a bit more towards track use, KW Clubsports are a step beyond that in terms of track use and Nitrons about the same or a bit more so. Obviously, the choice of specific spring rates with have an important bearing on matters too.
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2019, 07:35   #17
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
V3s for road use only? I'd be very surprised. If anything the V3s will be more track biased compared to the Ohlin DFVs which have a softer setup more biased towards road use.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 07:37   #18
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
dont discount MIESTER R stuff purly because of the back up thr fella ,who runs it offers ,hes often more than happy to support his stuff and while some systems have more of a name the back up afterwards is often where some kit falls flat
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
Evo6er (17-12-2019), Lovinit (18-12-2019)
Old 17-12-2019, 11:06   #19
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
V3s for road use only? I'd be very surprised. If anything the V3s will be more track biased compared to the Ohlin DFVs which have a softer setup more biased towards road use.

The KW V1,2 & 3 are all road based kits and quite similar just different levels of adjustment, v1 one has no damping adjustment, V2 is rebound only and V3 is rebound and compression but all road based, the Clubsport etc is the track stuff

Ive never got on with KW stuff personally but ive only tried Street Comfort to be fair, i might get some V3 for my MR2 track car next year but KW did warn me that only road tyres and anything too grippy will stress and wear internal bush quite quickly.

Last edited by thetyrant; 17-12-2019 at 11:09..
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (17-12-2019)
Old 17-12-2019, 11:13   #20
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Just to note i see KW do a V4 now as well, still for road but with some race technology and 3 way adjustment
Old 17-12-2019, 12:46   #21
kins
Regional Organiser

My Car
When they say road tyres I take it the road legal semi slicks fall into that category. If you're fitting full on motorsport rubber then yes you would want motorsport orientated suspension. If you have a road car and do 3-10 track days on road legal semi slick tyres then KW v3s should fit the bill. The clubsport shocks will be too firm for road use and not ideal.

Old 17-12-2019, 13:01   #22
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
Quote:
When they say road tyres I take it the road legal semi slicks fall into that category. If you're fitting full on motorsport rubber then yes you would want motorsport orientated suspension. If you have a road car and do 3-10 track days on road legal semi slick tyres then KW v3s should fit the bill. The clubsport shocks will be too firm for road use and not ideal.

I either run r888rs or Full motorsport tyres including full wets etc. Iím after a suspension that will be more at home on the track but offers easy adjustments and good damper control. Yes im not dry sumped but have even used full slicks before, just donít want the hassle of extra camber different setup etc to get the best out of them

The next 3 trackdays I do will likely be oulton Park, spa and the ring. Normally i would trailer the car but Iím thinking of driving it round Europe to the days.
leeslancer8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 13:21   #23
Gg3001
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
I would go with the Ohlins with the single axel spring upgrade. Nitronís I have never been a fan of on the road they jump and skip all over the place.

Mark
Have to agree with this. You have to be very carefull going fast on the road, love them on track
Gg3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 13:21   #24
kins
Regional Organiser

My Car
I'd say the Ohlins would be better on the ring you want more of a softer setup. If you are using motorsport rubber then you want more track focussed suspension but the car wont ride as well as the Ohlins on the road.

What ever you choose will be a compromise. The Ohlins better for road and the ring... something like the clubsports for smoother tracks like Oulton and Spa.

If youre running slicks and track suspension then that will likely increasing your corner Gs to a point you should be worried about oil surge. I have my concerns when I look over the logs and I only run road legal semi slicks with basic oil retention mods.

Last edited by kins; 17-12-2019 at 13:24..
Old 17-12-2019, 13:44   #25
thetyrant
Senior User

My Car
Quote:

KW said premium road tyre like MPSS or a cheaper semislick like Federal RSR should be ok but anything better will accelerate wear rates inside damper, I was pleased they told me this but also disappointed it was the case as well!, the V3 for my MR2 is as much to buy as car cost so bit of a shame the kit isn't suited to my needs! i went for Koni sports/Tein springs in the end to get me going and will revisit next year after turbo setup is completed.
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
kins (17-12-2019)
Old 17-12-2019, 17:35   #26
kins
Regional Organiser

My Car
Lee - see if you can get hold of Alan (Bloodspeed) if he's still contactable on here. Alan has a tonne of experience with 1 way Nitrons on his evo 8 on the road, at the ring, spa and many UK tracks like Oulton. He will be in a great position to pass comment on their suitability for your requirements. Pretty sure he's run various semi-slicks like R888's etc too.
The Following User Says Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (17-12-2019)
Old 17-12-2019, 20:03   #27
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeslancer8 View Post
I either run r888rs or Full motorsport tyres including full wets etc. Iím after a suspension that will be more at home on the track but offers easy adjustments and good damper control. Yes im not dry sumped but have even used full slicks before, just donít want the hassle of extra camber different setup etc to get the best out of them

The next 3 trackdays I do will likely be oulton Park, spa and the ring. Normally i would trailer the car but Iím thinking of driving it round Europe to the days.
Please note, my comments are only marginally based on my own driving, but are mainly those of a seasoned and extremely competent track driver and instructor who has driven round the Nordschliefe more than 1000 times.

ďOhlins DFV and KW V3 would be ok round the Ring on 1A tyres, but on semi slicks youíd need something like KW Clubsport or equivalent.Ē

I have KW Clubsports on my Evo X RS and I would have no problem driving the car to Spa/the Ring.
Old 17-12-2019, 20:36   #28
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
semislicks will need stiffer spring rates.. like 12K... ohlins might need a revalve..

another good option is AST or Intrax...
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 21:15   #29
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
This decision should be easy however it seems such a hard question to answer
leeslancer8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 23:25   #30
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
I’ve used KW 3 for years on road and track cars, and they are a great set-up for the price. I usually use 9/9 spring rates which are a good compromise for road and track. My best mate has an E6 trackcar which I built, and with 9/9 on V3 and DZ03G semi’s with the damping adjusted correctly, it’s superb on track. Don’t fall for the marketing, KW ‘Clubsport’ for the Evo is basically V3 with firmer springs.

I used Ohlins DFV on my daily driver Bmw, for years and 60k+ miles, and they were still working superbly when I recently sold the car. They are brilliant for the road, and as standard biased that way in regards to spring rates.

Also take into account, if you don’t know how to set-up 2 way dampers, you may end up with worse performance even with higher quality track biased suspension. Setting up for your specific car and driving style is paramount to driving fast. For most people 1 way suspension is much easier to dial in.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'

Last edited by Clivew; 17-12-2019 at 23:27..
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
Goginawa (18-12-2019), kikiturbo (18-12-2019), kins (18-12-2019), Mita (18-12-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: