Nitron or ohlins road and track - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 15-12-2019, 23:26   #1
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
Nitron or ohlins road and track

Would like to hear people’s on which they would choose as I need to justify 3k to myself.

My car does 3-10 trackdays a year and possibly a trip to the ring. I’m not clued up suspension wise so would like a setup to fit with easy adjustability. I find my current setup a little rear happy bouncy at full attack.

My options are the nitron with trackday setup or ohlins with the trackday spring set up from Ross (unsure of spring rates)

I know both are good brands but interested in people’s opinions
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-2019, 09:57   #2
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
You will always get mixed opinion usually just whatever someone has fitted to there car they will recommend, to me Ohlins makes the more supple road/fastroad with light track use setup, can be made more track capable with stiffer springs if required, Nitron is generally more track focused but i beleive can be be made more compliant for road with tweaks.

I will confess to not having tried Nitron stuff personaly as my cars are usually more road and track and im only going on others feedback on Nitron, i have used Ohlins R&T on several of my previous cars though... Evo9, GT86, MX5,135i from memory and always been impressed, there is always a compromise somewhere with suspension its just about finding what works for you, i prefer a softer more compliant setup hence liking the Ohlins, also my favourite budget setup is Koni Sport adjustables but totally different planet that.

HTH

What is your current setup ?
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:21   #3
leeslancer8
Senior User

Thanks Ian my car did a total of 30 road miles last year so on the road comfort isn’t really a issue but having said that I don’t want it to be bouncing about at places like the ring.

They suspension is definitely the weakest link of my car hence wanting to address it. It’s on some old racing logic coil overs it was imported with. They don’t knock etc but they must be some 7-8 years old now and I’ve always had better suspension than these before.

Car is 400/400 caged with uprated front and rear arb but no matter what I try I can’t dial out the oversteer. It makes for a rs diff sort of feel but I’d prefer the car more planted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-2019, 10:27   #4
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
The ring use is the key as its such fast place and lots of surface changes, lumps and bumps so you need plenty of travel which i think it something the Nitron can suffer with, i would go with Ohlins if it was me with uprated springs maybe to give it more circuit focus, damping is very good and can handle a good bit of spring rate increase.

If yours oversteering now its probably way to hard at rear either springs or damping, disconnect rear ARB see what difference that makes as a quick test.
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (16-12-2019)
Old 16-12-2019, 11:07   #5
Ross W
Ross Sport

Car: 8.75 @ 163
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
If you are 70% track 30% road the Nitrons will fit the bill nicely.
They are firm for sure but they do become more compliant once they have warmed up I find. Great product if you want great handling and roll resistance + ability to ride the kerbs without breaking things!

Huge range of Standard Evo & Tuning parts available next day delivery @ www.rosssport.com
Tel: 01945-580066 / eMail [email protected]
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (16-12-2019)
Old 16-12-2019, 11:08   #6
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
I had a very good experience with Ohlins DFVs on a heavy old Evo X. The ride was very controlled and with no crashes or bangs, and could readily handle the trickiest of B roads and inspired great confidence.That said, when driven in anger on track it was described to me (ie I wasn't driving) as being a bit too soft.

Last edited by plip1953; 16-12-2019 at 12:02..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (16-12-2019)
Old 16-12-2019, 14:42   #7
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
I've had Nitron R3's for 10 years and can vouch for their durability. Had them refurbed earlier this year after nearly 30k miles and they came back looking new. My springs are on the heavy side for mostly track use but they are OK on the road because of good helper springs. Of course you can choose springs rates to suit. Sorry havent used Ohlins so can't compare directly but always been very happy with performance of Nitrons, can't fault them. Also support from Nitron factory near Witney, Oxon, superb.

Last edited by TrickyDick; 16-12-2019 at 14:45..
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 16:53   #8
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
I would go with the Ohlins with the single axel spring upgrade. Nitron’s I have never been a fan of on the road they jump and skip all over the place.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shead For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (16-12-2019)
Old 16-12-2019, 17:36   #9
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
I've had Nitron R3's for 10 years and can vouch for their durability. Had them refurbed earlier this year after nearly 30k miles and they came back looking new. My springs are on the heavy side for mostly track use but they are OK on the road because of good helper springs. Of course you can choose springs rates to suit. Sorry havent used Ohlins so can't compare directly but always been very happy with performance of Nitrons, can't fault them. Also support from Nitron factory near Witney, Oxon, superb.
Surely the helper springs are only there to stop the main springs otherwise being loose under full droop?

I had Nitron R3s on an essentially road going 6 and they were very disappointing, although they seemed to work extremely well on my totally track focussed Time Attack Evo 9.
leeslancer8 (16-12-2019)
Old 16-12-2019, 19:12   #10
leeslancer8
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
I would go with the Ohlins with the single axel spring upgrade. Nitron’s I have never been a fan of on the road they jump and skip all over the place.

Mark
Mark any more details on this single axel upgrade or where to source them? What springs would you recommend for a mainly trackday car (no competitions etc)

Cheers
Old 16-12-2019, 19:46   #11
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
I've have experience with both Ohlins R&T and Nitron's NTR R3 fitted to my evo's.

If your car mainly does trackwork then the Nitron NTR R3's are great for that purpose. They ride surprisingly well on the road too. I don't agree with Mark about them being 'bouncy' at all.

Why not the Ohlins... well out of the box they sprung/valved fine for a fast road car but they are way too soft for anything but casual track use. If you're doing 10+ track day's a years then this is not the route to take.

If your evo is primarily a road car I would go with something from KW to be honest and not the Ohlins R&T. I have a set of KW's on my daily driven BM and they are great - they ride well and I've had zero issues with them after 1000's of miles. The design and construction is better suited for a daily driver in my opinion. The Ohlins on the other hand are much more suseptable to corrosion and I just can't see them lasting as well as the KW's.

If you have the budget for 3 way Nitron's I'd also consider the 3 way Clubsports from KW too. I certainly wouldn't hesitate giving them a try and they are a similar price to the Nitrons

Edit - I've just noticed the 3K budget so forget the 3 ways nitrons as they are 4K... the 1 ways are 3K. For trackwork I'd spend the 3K budget on KW's 2 way Clubsports.... for less serious track work I would spend 2K on KW Variant 3's... and thinking about it for 3-10 track days a year I think you'll be happy with them so that would be my recommendation.

Last edited by kins; 16-12-2019 at 19:55..
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
leeslancer8 (16-12-2019)
Old 16-12-2019, 21:50   #12
leeslancer8
Senior User

Kins I just don’t know what route to take regards the suspension. The three ways would need too much altering for me to get the best from them never mind the price.

I just don’t want to spend 3k and regret it.
Old 16-12-2019, 23:22   #13
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
get ohlins and upgrade the springs to 9F&10R or even 10F&11R for more track oriented car.. Stock spring rates promote understeer..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 00:58   #14
Goginawa
Zero Fighter

Car: EVO IX FQ 320
My Car
We’ve had KW V3 on 9 GT with rear arb and did fair few tracks days here and fair few Laps on nordschleife. What we found is that even though it had softer springs, to my memory, the car was still bouncing around and even though we got used to it it took some time to control it. Had we had something like Ohlins, like some of the other cars had at time it would’ve been different story as they didn’t complain of same effects as us, similar car spec in question. So harder suspension on the ring didn’t do us favours, we enjoyed it though but with softer suspension would’ve been better
Old 17-12-2019, 04:35   #15
j dog

Car: 2007 evo 9 340
For what it's worth i had nitrons on my 9, they came on it so i'm not sure on which exact model they were and spring rates etc. I think they'd been set up by sumo power so i just left them and never wanted to fiddle in case i forgot the settings!

In a nutshell they were horrible on road, a bit too stiff i think, but i did a few trackdays, outlton, donnington, cadwell and a couple of trips to the ring. On track they were incredible and they were worth the teade off for road manners. Even though the nurburgring is bumpy the set up felt really good and planted. I've nevr tried ohlins, but for track work i'd definitely recommend nitrons.
j dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: