Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo IV

8K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  Pushpex 
#1 · (Edited)
With thanks to @Pushpex as he has inspired me to start a thread of my IV, A couple of years ago I was offered this IV which one of my mates had done a deal with an air ride setup of all things, I had to give £3500 and drive to Manchester to collect it on my mates recovery truck.

I was shown a couple of pics and told that the engine had been rebuilt that was about it. Manchester here I come!

Loaded on the truck ready for the drive home

A rear cage had been welded in (not very well) no front or rear seats which is fine by me as I had a set of Cobra Suzuka pro buckets

Most of the panels had been removed to apparently get it painted but things had stopped and was thrown back together I was also sent these pics of the engine

The only concern I have is this a Rebuilt 4 engine or a later engine (hopefully)

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
How it currently sits, I was going to paint it but I'm so busy with work and my own other projects I'll leave it for the time being I think!

Just need to get the wings bumpers skirts fitting better
I've also done the coil pack conversion which I think looks much neater in the engine bay
I have the AYC light on so will have to look into that next I think, hopefully get it moted soon and at least get it round brands once it's been rolling roaded as I don't know what's been done, although it has a V ecu and 560cc injectors already fitted and I believe a 10.5 Turbo

#10 ·
Looking great! Seems like you're skilled with a welder which will come in handy on the chassis rails if they've not been treated before! Looks like it's missing the front splitter, not sure if anyone on here has one going spare but might be worth asking on the wanted forums. What was done on the engine rebuild do you know?

Liking the calliper refurb, what size tyres did you go for?

Thanks for sharing!

#12 ·
Thanks, I'll post a few pics of what I do so need to be good at welding lol

I have the front splitter, which was broken so I've repaired it and just need to get it painted, I was going to paint the car grey but I might do it white now and stick with a Evo colour

Tyres are 225/45/17 Yokohama's

#15 ·
I’ve been doing a bit of reading regarding crank walk and surely if I’ve not got any problems now what’s the point in worrying about it, it’s done 68000 miles surely I’d have problems by now? I can source a bottom end if I get any issues along the way and use the IV head etc

#17 ·
Will be interesting to see what you can get out of her after a remap! You might be fine with the crank walk, I have't researched it enough but it seems that you just need to keep an eye on it and if it starts wandering swap the bottom end like you said. At least it's not your daily driver :blush: Post some pictures of your work, can't go wrong with a bit of welding p*rn :naughty:

#18 ·
Do the 225s rub at all? you've got to look after the front arch liners as they're rocking horse **** now! :rotz:
I like scotia white and also the black IVs look nice, but if you're changing the colour from stock you could always make it unique, or use one of the sort of pastel colours they have now like nardo grey or laguna blue

#28 ·
These IVs restoration threads are great.
I had bad crankwalk and fitted a new crank as the old one had a groove on the thrust face. I did the oil feed trick and all seems good.

#31 ·
So I took the wings that where loosely bolted on, off! Front bumper off, I previously had fitted a pair of new/sh fogs as they where missing when I bought it but my mate had moved it and drove into a pole and broke the passenger lens, on,y took me 3 months to find them! But I found another pair this week but another £200 spent

Bottom bolt for wings has been sheared so will have to drill that out! Nothing to to serious, made sure all lights where working and bolted headlights in, straightened the front mesh in bumper but just looking to get it roadworthy and get an mot on it, and look at doing paintwork later this year as got plenty to do as my mk2 Mexico needs finishing!

I've looked at front splitter and need to find some way of bolting it to the bumper as the side bolts have broken but I might be able to use a two part bumper glue to glue some bolts on possibly will have a look next week

#35 ·
I've looked at front splitter and need to find some way of bolting it to the bumper as the side bolts have broken but I might be able to use a two part bumper glue to glue some bolts on possibly will have a look next week
Yeah those side bolts seize up bad and then rip the plastic they're held in with when you try to take them out, I just about salvaged the ones on the front but the ones on the back were absolutely destroyed by the painters along with the bodywork in that area :mad: They fixed them up with bolts and 2 part glue, that's probably the way to go on the front splitter too

#32 ·
Tyre is quite close on the arch and passenger wing has a few dents so I might cut along swage line and pull the arch out and weld a section in to bring the wing out over the tyre about 1inch!
I’ve found another wing to buy so this can be a tester if it doesn’t work it, I’ll bolt the other one on

#37 ·
So I insured it today ready to go for a mot tomorrow that way anything that’s picked up can be sorted whilst I sort the splitter and skirts out.
I took it up the road to see if there were any obvious problems and feels ok but seeing as I don’t know much about the car I’m being very wary, brakes feel good but think still might be a touch of air! Doesn’t feel as quick as my mk1 focus RS though

#39 ·
Unfortunately been busy and didn’t get to mot it monday but I fitted the harnesses today and just need to refit rear bumper and think that’s it for the mot side of things and is booked in for tomorrow at 1pm
Ordered some paint in the original colour today so I can paint splitter and side skirts for now, but I’m still thinking of doing it white later in the year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.