The Tme problem - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 09-08-2019, 23:28   #1
Smileymiley
Junior User

The Tme problem

Evening all

Not looking for a war, or to throw the cat among the pigeons, but are the Tme really that’s special?

In my opinion being a Tme owner myself which I love to bits and will never sell

I find the standard gsr to be just as capable and half the price, this is the problem the Tme isn’t really special. It does nothing wholly different or in reality much better than a standard spec evo 6, we all get caught up in rose tinted glasses of 90s rally Mitsi and Subaru’s famous rivalry.

But what else is there in the cold light of day about these cars is special
Yes it’s meaner looking , suspension set up, diffrent turbine, but in reality there isn’t much stand out feature differences.

The standard evolution is so capable it’s left the Tme relaying solely on the events in the wrc and not enough features innovations or uniqueness to back it up.

To add a example to my opinion I also own a ph2 clio v6, weather you love the Clio or not this thing is completely different to what Renault and any other marque where producing at the time. it’s a crazy concept, with a baffling looks, pretty slow, Lazy handling and a lazy v6, with a bland interior totally unpractical but man it’s special because it totally unique.(apart from the even more special r5 turbo 2)

I feel with this jdm craze of 90s japan metal is blown out of proportion and we all get carried away. (Hasn’t stopped me importing a r34vspec mind

, I don’t want a debate on the investment potential of these cars it’s well covered.

Just a genuine debate on the car itself
R34 gtr vspec
E30m3

Last edited by Smileymiley; 09-08-2019 at 23:33..
Smileymiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 04:31   #2
madspeed
Senior User

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but yes the TME and 5/6 are similar in performance for a 20 year old car. If you have the money and like the TME for what it is, buy the TME. If you want just the performance part of it buy the 5/6 and save the rest of the cash ? or buy an Evo 4 and save even more. Or buy a few Evo 4's. If you want to save even more and go quickly around the track, you could get a miata ? Even a souped up Civic is quick around the track and cheap.
madspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madspeed For This Useful Post:
Gg3001 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:24   #3
evocop4
Horizon chaser

Car: Black Tommi Makinen 310bhp; Black Focus ST 270bhp
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileymiley View Post
Evening all

Not looking for a war, or to throw the cat among the pigeons, but are the Tme really thatís special?

In my opinion being a Tme owner myself which I love to bits and will never sell

I find the standard gsr to be just as capable and half the price, this is the problem the Tme isnít really special. It does nothing wholly different or in reality much better than a standard spec evo 6, we all get caught up in rose tinted glasses of 90s rally Mitsi and Subaruís famous rivalry.

But what else is there in the cold light of day about these cars is special
Yes itís meaner looking , suspension set up, diffrent turbine, but in reality there isnít much stand out feature differences.

The standard evolution is so capable itís left the Tme relaying solely on the events in the wrc and not enough features innovations or uniqueness to back it up.

To add a example to my opinion I also own a ph2 clio v6, weather you love the Clio or not this thing is completely different to what Renault and any other marque where producing at the time. itís a crazy concept, with a baffling looks, pretty slow, Lazy handling and a lazy v6, with a bland interior totally unpractical but man itís special because it totally unique.(apart from the even more special r5 turbo 2)

I feel with this jdm craze of 90s japan metal is blown out of proportion and we all get carried away. (Hasnít stopped me importing a r34vspec mind

, I donít want a debate on the investment potential of these cars itís well covered.

Just a genuine debate on the car itself
Then why did you buy one over a standard GSR? You will prob find the difference between the two is a lot in the right hands. They wouldnít of bothered spending all the R&D on it and hope someone doesnít realise itís just a GSR. Whatís the real difference between a V Spec GtR and a normal one. Prob the same as a TME and GSR?
Gg3001 (19-08-2019), Uzumaki (11-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 18:51   #4
M3 ROB
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 TME,
You are kicking yourself in the nuts mate As Evocop4 has said there are many differences why a "TME" is such, stop trying to justify it move on
M3 ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M3 ROB For This Useful Post:
Dereksti (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 20:54   #5
Mr Max
www.aiautosport.co.uk

Car: Evo VI
My Car
I'd imagine Tommi Makinen blind folded couldn't tell the difference between a TME and a GSR............
Old 10-08-2019, 22:02   #6
Mita
Senior User

If we’re relaying solely on the events in the WRC ... cough cough
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:35   #7
Kieron Watson
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 TME
My Car
Barely any difference - If I wanted a track car rather than a garage queen I would love to just smash a 6 around Donnington all day.... But if I wanted value for money as someone mentioned above a civic would be a much better option

Nice set of cars by the way, 3 out of my 5 I would like to own, drove only 2 of them though
Old 19-08-2019, 16:28   #8
mik1

Car: TME
My Car
No difference worth talking about. I've owned 9 evos and 3 were TME's back when you could buy one for about 12k. I felt no difference driving either and IMO they are not worth anywhere near the stupid prices being asked for them these days.

If you want an EVO that's as close as possible to the proper WRC cars, buy a good RS, now THEY feel different. Don't buy one because it's the same colour as the WRC cars, when really they were all white cars repainted or wrapped anyway. It's a joke.
mik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mik1 For This Useful Post:
Leo6072 (20-08-2019), Mita (19-08-2019)
Old 19-08-2019, 17:36   #9
Gg3001
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1 View Post
No difference worth talking about. I've owned 9 evos and 3 were TME's back when you could buy one for about 12k. I felt no difference driving either and IMO they are not worth anywhere near the stupid prices being asked for them these days.

If you want an EVO that's as close as possible to the proper WRC cars, buy a good RS, now THEY feel different. Don't buy one because it's the same colour as the WRC cars, when really they were all white cars repainted or wrapped anyway. It's a joke.
Lol the RS doesnít feel that different, and as close to a WRC car as a GSR. The base colour of the WRC car is irrelevant, the fact is that Mitisubishi made a road going WRC replica (looks), thatís all the the Red tme is, nothing more and nothing less, how is that a ďjokeĒ?? People buy them because of the fact not because itís better worse or more expensive, itís the same for other manufactures from Minis to Ferrariís... Itís a joke...
Gg3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gg3001 For This Useful Post:
madspeed (19-08-2019), RichW (19-08-2019), Uzumaki (19-08-2019)
Old 19-08-2019, 18:22   #10
mik1

Car: TME
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gg3001 View Post
Lol the RS doesn’t feel that different, and as close to a WRC car as a GSR. The base colour of the WRC car is irrelevant, the fact is that Mitisubishi made a road going WRC replica (looks), that’s all the the Red tme is, nothing more and nothing less, how is that a “joke”?? People buy them because of the fact not because it’s better worse or more expensive, it’s the same for other manufactures from Minis to Ferrari’s... It’s a joke...
Nonsense, the WRC cars of that era were all based on the RS cars and for a reason. The RS cars were GRP N out of the box. Let's break down the differences from the factory that i can think of off the top of my head,

No ABS,
No AYC,
No Airbags,
No A/C (unless specced),
Lighter glass,
Different turbo,
Less sound deadening etc, etc.....the list probably goes on and on regarding things i've forgotten or don't know about.

The RS feels like a totally different animal (IF you've actually owned/driven one) but let's agree that's subjective and you weren't impressed by the superior acceleration and shorter gearing. That's fine. However, you've answered the question yourself by acknowledging that they made a car that LOOKS like the WRC car...........nothing else which is what the OP was trying to get a handle on, i.e. is it worth the extra money and as i've said IMO, it's not and if you want something that actually has a tangible link to the WRC cars then the RS is the car to buy, not a GSR with a few minor tweaks and a stupid price tag.

It is no more special to drive than a standard GSR where the RS is a different in many ways and a direct link to the actual cars used in the WRC - albeit they were modified for extra suspension travel and maybe some other items but still bound by the rules of GRP A at the time.

Edit to add : I also believe that anyone who defends the stupid price tag has a vested interest in maintaining that price tag and their opinion should be discounted.

Last edited by mik1; 19-08-2019 at 18:26..
mik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 20:35   #11
Hedgehog Dodger
Senior User

Car: Evo 5 - Forged and mapped by CPP
My Car
Send a message via AIM to Hedgehog Dodger
The TME had weaker and lighter rods in it, as did the early Evo 7's. Mistubishi were trying to save more weight in the engine on production cars.

I agree with the earlier post though about all Manufacturers just making something look slightly different.

Porsche have been doing it for years and years.
Old 19-08-2019, 22:06   #12
Gg3001
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1 View Post
Nonsense, the WRC cars of that era were all based on the RS cars and for a reason. The RS cars were GRP N out of the box. Let's break down the differences from the factory that i can think of off the top of my head,

No ABS,
No AYC,
No Airbags,
No A/C (unless specced),
Lighter glass,
Different turbo,
Less sound deadening etc, etc.....the list probably goes on and on regarding things i've forgotten or don't know about.

The RS feels like a totally different animal (IF you've actually owned/driven one) but let's agree that's subjective and you weren't impressed by the superior acceleration and shorter gearing. That's fine. However, you've answered the question yourself by acknowledging that they made a car that LOOKS like the WRC car...........nothing else which is what the OP was trying to get a handle on, i.e. is it worth the extra money and as i've said IMO, it's not and if you want something that actually has a tangible link to the WRC cars then the RS is the car to buy, not a GSR with a few minor tweaks and a stupid price tag.

It is no more special to drive than a standard GSR where the RS is a different in many ways and a direct link to the actual cars used in the WRC - albeit they were modified for extra suspension travel and maybe some other items but still bound by the rules of GRP A at the time.

Edit to add : I also believe that anyone who defends the stupid price tag has a vested interest in maintaining that price tag and their opinion should be discounted.

So a A RED TME it’s not a “ direct link” to the rally car because it has AYC and sound pads!!! Please, that really is a joke ! They are ALL a direct link to the rally cars!

I’m well aware of the of the differences between models, I’ve owned a 5rs for 10years, (that I modified into a track car) and still do, I also have stock powered 5RS.

I’ve owned two GSRs and in the real world IE ROAD the differences are there but hardly worlds apart ( kinda like your TME vs GSR) And no I wasn’t surprised by the superior acceleration, I remember it didn’t stop very well, it was noisy and I couldn’t go around corners as the seats didn’t hold me in so I actually went much faster in my GSR thank you.

So in my opinion, the RS feels no more special to drive in stock form then a GSR or a TME and therefore to isn’t anymore special then the others, they are all special to me.

I don’t defend the prices, I hate the current prices! I bought a 5 RS for £5k 10 years ago now I’m paying £16k. I want an R34 GTR but I can’t afford the 50k for non Vspec, 65k for a Vspec 70k+ for Vspec2 and so on. I certainly dont go on the GTR forums telling people that the bayside blue Vspec is a JOKE And not worth the money.

Edited to add: I believe that the Red Tme Bashers ( not all of course) are unable to understand demand for iconic JDM cars and today’s prices. Oh and are probably but hurt that they didn’t keep/and or buy when they were cheap I know I am!

Last edited by Gg3001; 19-08-2019 at 22:07..
Gg3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gg3001 For This Useful Post:
Evoix4g63 (20-08-2019), Leo6072 (20-08-2019), M3 ROB (20-08-2019), squeakyclean32 (20-08-2019), Uzumaki (19-08-2019)
Old 20-08-2019, 01:00   #13
VR-4Squid

Car: CP9A Evolution V
Arguing the RS is closer to the factory rally cars because it doesn't have AYC is silly. The works cars had active diffs.

The TME is rarer than the V or VI (not rs) which is cool if you are into that. The mechanical differences are minor, I doubt you could tell which is which if you were blindfolded.

End of the day, are you buying the car to drive or for some other reason?
alpinaturbo (20-08-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: