Budget versus real life conditions - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 06-07-2019, 10:12   #1
emporer

Budget versus real life conditions

Hello!

Been lurking for about 6 months and finally got enough to buy the car I wanted when I was a teenager - an evo 5/6.

Iíd love to get some feedback from you esteemed forum heads before I commit so here are a few points which I havenít found satisfactory answers to.

Is it advisable to pay a bit more on a car with the common mods done up front, but done in the past, or is it better to get something more stock and pay more to have the mods done afterwards? Just exhaust, intake, blow off, suspension.

I donít have a garage so is it stupid to spend 13 grand on a older car that will sit under the elements and possibly rapidly reduce in value while I own it?

Is it better value to get a fresh import from the likes of SVA or Japcars or to wait for the right priced car to appear on the forum listings? (The forum cars do seem to be better looked after but also a bit past my budget on average and Iíve already gone from ~10 to ~13 and canít scrape any more together up front).

Do I need boost gauge and oil temp etc or is it just to make the cars look more race? Do people actually drive with an eye on the gauges when on beginner track days?

If I repaint alloys white does that make them less desirable on resale if theyíre not original colour?

Has anyone got a price for recovering worn seats?

The car will be for weekends / occasional track days rather than every day family use.

Iím sure these have all been answered individually but I havenít found answers yet.

Thanks for the help!
emporer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 10:28   #2
r3k1355
Senior User

A fresh import is usually quite clean, you can then have it properly undersealed to be sure you're starting with a really clean example.

You can save a few quid buying a car with mods already installed, the only issue is you might find out you don't actually like the parts and swap them out anyway.

White wheels??? That is a pretty strong move tbh, especially if you're looking at a white car as well.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:30   #3
TMEEMT
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post

White wheels??? That is a pretty strong move tbh, especially if you're looking at a white car as well.

Unless itís a white Mak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TMEEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 12:42   #4
emporer

Quote:
Is that why thereís been a white wheeled and TME front bumper evo 6 for sale for six months from jap cars? People donít like the white wheels and itís trying to be a TME?

I have to admit that Iím relatively new to performance cars so ultimately the purchase is going to be guided largely by looks!
Old 06-07-2019, 21:14   #5
Capo
Senior User

Car: Standard Evo VI Silver.
My Car
Send a message via MSN to Capo
Get it properly inspected, they rot, a lot. Make sure you do not buy a gremlin because it has white wheels Buy on condition/state/maintenance instead of mileage.

I do not even care for colour anymore, I love white but currently looking into a silver 7. Last 6 was a silver one to. And I still prefer white.. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Capo For This Useful Post:
Rampant (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:45   #6
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Get it properly inspected, they rot, a lot. Make sure you do not buy a gremlin because it has white wheels Buy on condition/state/maintenance instead of mileage.

I do not even care for colour anymore, I love white but currently looking into a silver 7. Last 6 was a silver one to. And I still prefer white.. lol
Totally agree. First and foremost, by a long-long margin, is the condition of the underside and of the chassis legs in particular.
If you don't know what you're looking for, then try to find someone who does and have them look at the car for you.
Pretty much *everything* else can be repaired. Sometimes the other things are not cheap, but certainly not as expensive, in one hit, as a chassis leg replacement...

I bought my recent VI from a dealer that I really wouldn't recommend or trust - JDM Imports in Coventry. However, I kinda knew what I was looking at, and the underside was in amazing cindition. Almost "as new". But I also have an expert on Evos as a friend and still wouldn't commit to the car solely on my own inspection and waited until they'd given me the thumbs up to buy the car. The paintwork and interior are a little dog. A lot dog in some places in fact, but I can address that at my leisure. Unlike a car that has the beginnings of rot taking hold.

All the best.

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
Capo (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 14:51   #7
emporer

Great advice. Luckily my cousin is a mechanic, I’ll make sure to get any prospective purchase up on a ramp before sale.

Appreciate it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emporer For This Useful Post:
Capo (07-07-2019), Rampant (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 15:51   #8
r3k1355
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMEEMT View Post
Unless itís a white Mak
Sometimes you can pull it off, but most of the time you end up looking like an 80's Essexboy throwback.

but when they look nice they do look nice.

r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r3k1355 For This Useful Post:
dreMR (07-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39   #9
liffy16
Senior User

Car: white tommi
My Car
Same as Rampant here bought my white tme off a dealer which is not highly recommended on here !But i knew what to look for being my 3rd evo6 usual fresh import issues full of sound system stuff, aftermarket wheels,lights,suspension,jap spec remap,braces everywhere.Looking past all that the chassis condition was really good so its cost me a bit to replace all the bolt on stuff back to original,but im pretty pleased with what ive ended up with.So to conclude yes underneath condition is top priority as these cars rot bad
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59   #10
MikeC
Senior User

Car: Red E5
Quote:
Sometimes you can pull it off, but most of the time you end up looking like an 80's Essexboy throwback.

but when they look nice they do look nice.

Off topic. Who's is that, want to know the wheel spec.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:15   #11
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V
My Car
lots of good questions.

where are you based? I think you would benefit hugely from a visit to a forum member with a similar evo, and some experience. Go for a drive, have a look around, be educated about what you're looking at, and learn from their experience.

MY experience with jdm cars, is that I always always end up modding them, and that's very expensive. This time around I bought one that had had loads of work done, and saved myself a fortune, although it has since had issues in other areas...

I would personally advise to get one with the mods done, just make sure they have been done well and not skimped, also perhaps with a modded car get the engine compression tested and leakdown tested before buying, and pay particular attention to the condition of the turbo also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Most TME owners have never driven an evo, including their own.
strange_days_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:55   #12
interbishi
Senior User

Car: EVO tme, 9gt turbo, 264,s , coilovers. CBR900
My Car
One thing I would say when buying is .. don't spend to the top of your budget , its always best to have 2k in reserve as even though these cars are very reliable on the whole they are not cheap to repair ( its called evo tax) .

If I were buying again it would almost certainly be a fresh import and if importing the 3 months or so wait wouldn't bother me .
interbishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 14:52   #13
emporer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_days_uk View Post
lots of good questions.

where are you based? I think you would benefit hugely from a visit to a forum member with a similar evo, and some experience. Go for a drive, have a look around, be educated about what you're looking at, and learn from their experience.
I'm based south london, there doesn't seem to be many owners around here, although I saw one Red TME parked on the road next door. It would be hugely beneficial if anyone around here is reading this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_days_uk View Post

I would personally advise to get one with the mods done, just make sure they have been done well and not skimped, also perhaps with a modded car get the engine compression tested and leakdown tested before buying, and pay particular attention to the condition of the turbo also.
This is what I'm leaning towards. There's a modded one at SVA imports in Dover at the moment, so as soon as I can get my mechanic to come look at it and check for rust, I'll be taking it for a test drive.

Thanks for the good advice!
Old 11-07-2019, 14:53   #14
emporer

Quote:
Originally Posted by interbishi View Post
One thing I would say when buying is .. don't spend to the top of your budget , its always best to have 2k in reserve as even though these cars are very reliable on the whole they are not cheap to repair ( its called evo tax) .

If I were buying again it would almost certainly be a fresh import and if importing the 3 months or so wait wouldn't bother me .
This seems very sensible. But who are the most trusted importers?
Old 11-07-2019, 16:20   #15
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V
My Car
Budget versus real life conditions

SVA have a decent rep, so sounds that youíre on the right track.

Iím in Woking, if you can get up in the next couple of weeks Iím available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Most TME owners have never driven an evo, including their own.
strange_days_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strange_days_uk For This Useful Post:
forest172 (13-07-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: