premature preliminary musings today - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 28-08-2020, 18:57   #1
sfg
Senior User

My Car
premature preliminary musings today

Picked the car after a long spell at perfect touch getting long overdue tlc +++ [like the wedding ring deal - one month salary and then some..].
apart from major fluids/ belts/ oil leaks/ wheel refurb etc etc :

Perfect touch replaced a pas pump at my instructions [overboosting imo with zero feel, ultralight, not 'connected'] with a s/h oe one I bought off ebay [excellent condition imo].

had fitted hardrace lower front arm front bushes with spherical bearing, spherical bearing caster/ camber mounts [cirodesign, usa, compatible with oe suspension] and 'my' geo of front camber -0.5
front toe in 2 mins per side
max caster 6 degrees
rear camber -1.5
rear toe in 4 mins per side
new yoko a052s in std size on std rims.

I already have perrin psrs [spherical bearing] caster bushes lower front arm rear bushes, whiteline rck and tie rods [was lowered before on coilovers but I kept rck on with oe suspension], whiteline steering rack bushes, oe springs/ bilsteins.

I expected but was ok with quite a bit more harshness with the 2 rubber bushes now replaced with hard metal.
I expected tyres not to be too happy with the light rain and were brand new too.
I expected tyre roar and harshness from the tyres.

I was hoping for the heavy, connected, feelsome steering [almost like it has no power steering and is a manual rack like I experienced on a dealer demo VIIIFQ I drove years ago].

What a traffic filled wettish 45 min drive with no possibility to give it some pain in the corners showed me
- no extra harshess at all. repeat...at all [from the bearings]. Plenty of bad roads/ concrete but no potholes to test.
- no skittish feeling/ noise/ harshness from the tyres...at all [couldn't press them in the corners admittedly]
- steering is a lot better [more weight, not heavy though, can't comment on feel yet, was precise before and still is] but not like the VIII dealer demo was and not in the lotus type league [lotustalk.com/threads/ other cars and comparisons - they rave about our steering and its feel being fantastic/ being the 'same', especially a couple of guys who have both elise and evo]. This is EXACTLY the steering I felt on the dealer demo that I have not felt on any other evo since [tried a VII, VIII FQ300 demo, VIIIMR, my IXGT].
- the good throttle response before spoolup
- overall mega smoothness of the engine/ suspension/ whole package
- fearsome torque of the 30 hta 4000 rpm on [brief squirt up to 100 (km/h)..]

I'll report back when tyres are bedded in and it's not total gridlock. Have a not too wet b/holiday peeps
sfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-08-2020, 19:27   #2
McGoo60
Senior User

Cheapskate! I was always told the engagement/wedding ring was supposed to be 3 months salary! ;-)
McGoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 19:50   #3
sfg
Senior User

My Car
Shush..there be lasses on this ere site you know..
just back from an after dark local run - even the wife [after 20 yards or so] commented on the smoothness. oe suspension and spherical bearings FT##W !
ps the wife is not into cars so I'm ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-08-2020, 21:14   #4
Jakeh
Senior User

Car: 9 Wagon
I think Evo steering is a bit on the light and over-assisted side.
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 16:57   #5
sfg
Senior User

My Car
Had the car 1 week. Conclusions so far :
- steering weight at centre and on lock lovely, very pleasing with engine on but at rest
- up to uk legal speeds usual slight lessening of weight with speed still pleasing
- ultra connected feel. No
- true road feel of surface
No.
Also,
- the yoko a052s impression are very good grip, no noise.
- felt a little more thump on very sharp bumps, still no biggie. Still very civilised imo.

In summary, max added caster, spherical bearings, replacing pas pump were very worth it for me. Steering now acceptable and pleasing just not 'perfect'like I know it can be.
Am I done? No. Stages 2 and 3 maybe 4 coming over the next several months.
I'll update as I go along.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:16   #6
H18BY0
... now with more Bang :)

Car: Red TME / Astra Merit /
My Car
You owe your wife 2 months salary!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:::::::::::::::::::::: Tommi Mäkinen ////////// Edition No.13 ::::::::::::::::::::::
Old 11-09-2020, 20:12   #7
sfg
Senior User

My Car
Soon enough will be 4 months salary at this rate... I could maybe barter - hair/ nails/ handbags etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfg For This Useful Post:
H18BY0 (12-09-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: