Evo V restore - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 10-09-2019, 12:56   #31
boustie

Car: EVO 5 GSR
My Car
Shiny bits arrived

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
boustie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boustie For This Useful Post:
evo5d (10-09-2019), Gg3001 (10-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 22:58   #32
Evo Ali
User

Car: Ruri Blue Evo ix FQ320
Quote:
Originally Posted by boustie View Post
Shiny bits arrived

Hi Buddy, when you go to weld in the chassis legs be sure to peel back part of the floor pan at the two rear doors .

I know you said you are doing it yourself but a lot of the big shops that repair and replace the chassis legs cut the long thin bit of each of the two legs and just cut and butt weld up to the old ones this is wrong

Please do it the correct way or car if ever in a accident will fold up at the rear end.
Also dont go ahead and weld them in with the powder coating that came on them rub the inside of all the new rails back and paint primer,undercoat and topcoat +clear wax them internally before welding into place.
This is the proper way to proceed
Evo Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evo Ali For This Useful Post:
Mita (10-09-2019), Richard B (Yesterday)
Old 10-09-2019, 22:59   #33
Evo Ali
User

Quote:
Shiny bits arrived

where did you end up buying them?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:05   #34
boustie

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Ali View Post
where did you end up buying them?
Mitsubishi, have a contact so got a good price

I'm stripping it then it's going to a friends garage (very experienced welder)

All the others I've seen Inc the auto torque ones have been cut same as in the pic below, it would be nice to fit it all but pressumed if no one else has done it then there must be a good reason

Old 11-09-2019, 18:26   #35
Evo Ali
User

Quote:
Mitsubishi, have a contact so got a good price

I'm stripping it then it's going to a friends garage (very experienced welder)

All the others I've seen Inc the auto torque ones have been cut same as in the pic below, it would be nice to fit it all but pressumed if no one else has done it then there must be a good reason

Whatever you do don"t cut them!
Think about it they come in one piece for a reason ,why on earth would anyone want to cut them.
Yes i have seen other places and photos online and a few other places ,the main reason they don"t do it is to make it easy and probably lack of bodywork knowledge.
I have done a few evos with the full chassis fitted it causes more work but at least it won"t fold up in a rear end accident.

They are a full structural piece of the car & are made in one whole length for one reason and thats for the structural strength of the vehicle.
If you do cut them and have a rear end accident the car will fold up like a deck of cards and your passengers would not be in good shape afterwards.
This is what is known as a cut & shut, your insurance company would not cover this if seen after a accident.

Its just friendly and sensible advice but you"d be mad to cut and butt weld them to the old legs ,if this was the case then mitsubishi would have supplied them shorter.
if you need any advice or help let me know

Last edited by Evo Ali; 11-09-2019 at 19:48..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Evo Ali For This Useful Post:
dreMR (11-09-2019), madmatt (12-09-2019), Mita (11-09-2019), ondafly (13-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 18:32   #36
Mita
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Ali View Post
Whatever you do don"t cut them!
Think about it they come in one piece for a reason ,why on earth would anyone want to cut them.
Yes i have seen Auto Torque photos online and a few other places ,the main reason they don"t do it is to make it easy and probably lack of bodywork knowledge.
I have done a few evos with the full chassis fitted it causes more work but at least it won"t fold up in a rear end accident.

They are a full structural piece of the car & are made in one whole length for one reason and thats for the structural strength of the vehicle.
If you do cut them and have a rear end accident the car will fold up like a deck of cards and your passengers would not be in good shape afterwards.
This is what is known as a cut & shut, your insurance company would not cover this if seen after a accident.

Its just friendly and sensible advice but you"d be mad to cut and butt weld them to the old legs ,if this was the case then mitsubishi would have supplied them shorter.
if you need any advice or help let me know
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Evo Ali (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 18:32   #37
Evo Ali
User

I have a contact with mitsubishi we can buy the whole rear end chassis legs and crossmember for 650-00 delivered.

Hopefully you got them for similar money
Old 11-09-2019, 18:34   #38
Evo Ali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Cheers glad someone else agrees
The Following User Says Thank You to Evo Ali For This Useful Post:
Mita (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 06:02   #39
boustie

My Car
Anyone else in here done this?.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:10   #40
Evo Ali
User

If you go to and ask a proper registered accident repair shop that deals with chassis alignment and structural repair issues like jiggling and straighting and I'm sure that they will confirm that the chassis legs have to be welded in as one whole piece

It's common sense!

As I said before why would you cut part of the new chassis legs of and basically throw it away and then butt weld it up too your old one
This is going to be the weakest point + it's what holds the rest of the car together
Please don't go by the pictures or whatever you have seen elsewhere this doesn't mean anything and certainly does not mean that cutting them is correct
As I say I'm only trying to help you buddy and make sure you install them correctly
👍🤔
The Following User Says Thank You to Evo Ali For This Useful Post:
Mita (12-09-2019)
Old 17-09-2019, 19:56   #41
boustie

My Car
So been busy at night, car is booked in next week for the chassis rails to be removed and welded.

A good friend of mine (DVS Blackpool) is doing the work and to make it cheaper for me and take up less ramp time for him has asked me to strip as much as I can with it still rolling.

Fuel tank and filler neck, diff off, rear seats and carpet out, handbrake cables, ayc pump, brake pipes all removed. I've also test dropped the rear axle and removed / refitted all the suspension arm bolts so he basically has about 8 bolts to remove and can drop the axle on the floor.

Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: