New Evo IX Owner - Compression Test Results Not Good!!! - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Newbie

Old 13-11-2019, 22:30   #16
Corsica13
Junior User

Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav33 View Post
Out of curiosity did you buy the Evo from a garage or private sale. If it was a garage you should be covered for any faults?
I bought it from a garage:

https://www.wynfordmotorsbirmingham.co.uk/

I will wait for the results and outcome before contacting them, let's see but thank you for your message, I'll keep you posted.
Corsica13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-11-2019, 22:32   #17
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeTurbo View Post
Letís get the results of the leakdown test first then weíll know where to go from there👍
Yes you're right buddy, will you keep you posted. Thanks for the reply
Old 14-11-2019, 18:31   #18
Gav33

My Car
Hope it isn’t anything serious and gets resolved quickly and cheaply. Don’t let this dishearten your enjoyment (not implying it is) of what is a cracking car. I’ve had my IX MR for over seven years now and absolutely love it.
Get some pics of the Evo uploaded on here.

Last edited by Gav33; 14-11-2019 at 18:32..
Gav33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:39   #19
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav33 View Post
Hope it isnít anything serious and gets resolved quickly and cheaply. Donít let this dishearten your enjoyment (not implying it is) of what is a cracking car. Iíve had my IX MR for over seven years now and absolutely love it.
Get some pics of the Evo uploaded on here.
Thanks for the kind words buddy. I'm more disappointed in myself for not carrying out a compression test beforehand, apparently it's an absolute must on these cars due to the nature of how hard people drive them.

I really hope so too, I'm expecting to have a discussion with AT tomorrow to see what my options are following the Leak Down test. They also sent me the footage of the Bore Camera and the scoring they're seeing, I will see if I can upload a video to Dropbox and link it here.

I must say I am gutted, given it's my dream car from when I was in my early 20s and finally got the courage to buy one, not the best start to get off to but hey, that's life sometimes I suppose!
Old 14-11-2019, 18:44   #20
Corsica13
Junior User

There you go, a link to the Bore Camera footage showing the scoring on the inside housing of the Bore itself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf3gxoqwj2...A0024.mp4?dl=0

As mentioned above, I'm still waiting for the results of the Leak Down Test but this is what they've provided so far.

Let me know what you think guys.

Cheers.
Old 14-11-2019, 21:00   #21
famz

Pretty sure that garage have already told you this and maybe even quoted amounts that you might not want to believe you have to start forking out yet

Whichever way you diagnose it, You will have to take that engine apart and blueprint it before deciding what to do.

You need to at least physically inspect cylinder 3 and it's components.
- Valves condition i.e. valve and/or valve seat not caked in carbon deposits and holding valve open
- Piston rings worn out
- Cylinder wall taper and/or out of round (oval shaped)

It will be any of a combination of these 3 things that cause that.

If you are DIY inclined, you are best doing these yourself.
famz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 14:26   #22
daveyheats
User

Good luck mate, will keep fingers crossed for a quick and not bankruptingly expensive repair.

Such a shame with a ridiculously low mileage like that you've got these issues.
daveyheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 14:38   #23
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyheats View Post
Good luck mate, will keep fingers crossed for a quick and not bankruptingly expensive repair.

Such a shame with a ridiculously low mileage like that you've got these issues.
Do you know if these cars are easy to roll the mileage clocks back?

Cheers,
Old 15-11-2019, 14:43   #24
daveyheats
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica13 View Post
Do you know if these cars are easy to roll the mileage clocks back?

Cheers,
I'm not sure to be honest mate. Do you have full service history and other paperwork to check the mileage is correct though? The paper trail should back it up.
daveyheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 15:03   #25
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyheats View Post
I'm not sure to be honest mate. Do you have full service history and other paperwork to check the mileage is correct though? The paper trail should back it up.
The MOT history and some of the paperwork backs up the mileage, there are a few gaps in the paperwork but from what I've seen, it checks out OK. It was SORN'd for 5 years, I wonder if it'd been tracked during that time, only thing I did question.
Old 16-11-2019, 19:41   #26
Corsica13
Junior User

Hello all,

Thanks to those that have replied already with their responses.

So I picked up my Evo from Auto Torque today and had a lengthy chat with the owner to discuss the results of the Compression Test / Leak Down Test, here's the results:

Cylinder Compression:

Cylinder 1 - 9.5 bar
Cylinder 2 - 8.5 bar
Cylinder 3 - 10 bar
Cylinder 4 - 8.9 bar

Cylinder Leak Down:

Cylinder 1 - 20%
Cylinder 2 - 30%
Cylinder 3 - 5%
Cylinder 4 - 35%

Flywheel: +/- 5%

NOTE: Scoring on bores 2 & 4.

Based on these results, I was advised that continuing to drive the car would result in further damage which would obviously end up being more costly!

In order to fully diagnose the extent of the issue, we would need to strip down the engine and the likelihood is that a rebuild will be required which would consist of some of the following:

- Remove Engine
- Strip Engine & Ancillaries
- Clean Internals
- Rebuild Engine
- Refit Engine and Run In
- Pre Dyno Check
- Rolling Road Remap
- Build up Custom Oil Cooler
- Upgrade Fuel Pump (Optional)
- Machine Work to Block, Deck and Bore
- Machine Work to Head if Needed, Cut/ Re-seat valves, skim face, fit guides

Depending on parts and brands used and how solid I want to build the engine (500hp+, 600hp+, 700hp+) the costs could vary between £6k - £12k

This is clearly the most disappointing news to hear and I almost feel sick about the whole situation, I can't believe this is the case.

I will likely call another Evo garage and ask them to carry out the same Compression / Leak Down Test, not to undermine AT's results but just for peace of mind, it would be interesting to see if the results match.

In the meantime I don't really know what route to take, I absolutely love the car and after searching for well over 6 months for the car, I thought I had found the one, now I'm contemplating returning the car.

I've spoken with the garage that sold it to me and they have also requested that I get a second bunch of tests carried out. If the results are the same (which I'd imagine they will be) then the garage have said we can re-evaluate the situation and see what route to take.

My only other worry is that as part of the Consumer Act, you only have 30 days to request a refund or a repair / replacement, as I purchased the car on 23/10/2019, that only gives me 5 days left to act!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, their thoughts on the results mentioned above or can point me in the right direction, that would be absolutely amazing.

Thanks all.
Old 16-11-2019, 20:12   #27
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica13 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks to those that have replied already with their responses.

So I picked up my Evo from Auto Torque today and had a lengthy chat with the owner to discuss the results of the Compression Test / Leak Down Test, here's the results:

Cylinder Compression:

Cylinder 1 - 9.5 bar
Cylinder 2 - 8.5 bar
Cylinder 3 - 10 bar
Cylinder 4 - 8.9 bar

Cylinder Leak Down:

Cylinder 1 - 20%
Cylinder 2 - 30%
Cylinder 3 - 5%
Cylinder 4 - 35%

Flywheel: +/- 5%

NOTE: Scoring on bores 2 & 4.

Based on these results, I was advised that continuing to drive the car would result in further damage which would obviously end up being more costly!

In order to fully diagnose the extent of the issue, we would need to strip down the engine and the likelihood is that a rebuild will be required which would consist of some of the following:

- Remove Engine
- Strip Engine & Ancillaries
- Clean Internals
- Rebuild Engine
- Refit Engine and Run In
- Pre Dyno Check
- Rolling Road Remap
- Build up Custom Oil Cooler
- Upgrade Fuel Pump (Optional)
- Machine Work to Block, Deck and Bore
- Machine Work to Head if Needed, Cut/ Re-seat valves, skim face, fit guides

Depending on parts and brands used and how solid I want to build the engine (500hp+, 600hp+, 700hp+) the costs could vary between £6k - £12k

This is clearly the most disappointing news to hear and I almost feel sick about the whole situation, I can't believe this is the case.

I will likely call another Evo garage and ask them to carry out the same Compression / Leak Down Test, not to undermine AT's results but just for peace of mind, it would be interesting to see if the results match.

In the meantime I don't really know what route to take, I absolutely love the car and after searching for well over 6 months for the car, I thought I had found the one, now I'm contemplating returning the car.

I've spoken with the garage that sold it to me and they have also requested that I get a second bunch of tests carried out. If the results are the same (which I'd imagine they will be) then the garage have said we can re-evaluate the situation and see what route to take.

My only other worry is that as part of the Consumer Act, you only have 30 days to request a refund or a repair / replacement, as I purchased the car on 23/10/2019, that only gives me 5 days left to act!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, their thoughts on the results mentioned above or can point me in the right direction, that would be absolutely amazing.

Thanks all.
To do those test would only take a small amount of time that could easily be done in your time frame.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 20:14   #28
Corsica13
Junior User

Hi Mark,

Thanks, any feedback on the results?

Cheers,
Old 16-11-2019, 20:25   #29
evocop4
Horizon chaser

Car: Black Tommi Makinen 310bhp; Black Focus ST 270bhp
My Car
Consumer rights act gives you 6 months. Don’t worry about time frame it has already been reported to the garage just keep everything to hand and correspondence by phone and backed up by email. I have experience when my ST spun its bottom end after 3days and took months to get a new engine sorted.

On a side note AT are very expensive and screwed me a while ago when completing a cam belt change. They got a tool stuck snapped it and made me pay for a new engine mount which luckily they had. Not their fault apparently blaming it on a piece of grit in the thread. Not a happy chap. I haven’t been back since!
Old 16-11-2019, 20:44   #30
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evocop4 View Post
Consumer rights act gives you 6 months. Donít worry about time frame it has already been reported to the garage just keep everything to hand and correspondence by phone and backed up by email. I have experience when my ST spun its bottom end after 3days and took months to get a new engine sorted.

On a side note AT are very expensive and screwed me a while ago when completing a cam belt change. They got a tool stuck snapped it and made me pay for a new engine mount which luckily they had. Not their fault apparently blaming it on a piece of grit in the thread. Not a happy chap. I havenít been back since!
Hi buddy,

Thanks for your response and sorry to hear of your previous experiences, it really sucks when stuff like this happens, I have to say it's the first time I'm experiencing this and typical that it's with my first Evo!

I went to AT as from what I read they're one of the best at what they do for Evo's etc. and being new to this scene, I didn't really know where to go and wanted a proper service.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: